The wonder of the game!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Re: The wonder of the game!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

The 'Professor' discusses his 'artistry' in this NY Times piece today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/sport ... tml?src=me
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

News today that 2014 will be the last baseball season for Derrick Jeter. Well deserved retirement is fast approaching but there will be still one victory lap around the various ball fields of Major League baseball. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

The Dean of all American Sports Journalists is finally called to Cooperstown. My question is what took so long? If I can I would like to go next July just to hear his remarks- well also Greg Maddux is going in, as well:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5280,d.dmQ
Jack of All Parades

It is shaping up to be a fun October- yet again. My Redsox were eliminated a long time ago but to see the Orioles and the Royals back in the mix along with perenial class organizations like the Giants and the Cardinals has me excited. Would not mind a Royals/Giants World Series with the Giants taking it all. Three championships in the last Five years would be an accomplishment. :D
Jack of All Parades

As wished- Royals and Giants- Tuesday cannot come quick enough- now I will take the Giants in six- three in five years time- break up the dynasty- it will also cement Boche for the Hall of Fame- just a tremendous manager and above Torre in my pantheon of 'skippers' 8)
Jack of All Parades

The Dean of American Sportswriters sums up why it has to be the Giants in the coming two weeks:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/gigantic
Jack of All Parades

Game one to the Giants. Madison Bumgarner was damn good last night- 1 run allowed, 3 hits, 5 strikeouts over 7 innings and he fielded his position with skill at various times. One down and three to go. Kansas City took their first loss in 9 games in the post season.
Jack of All Parades

Game two to the Royals- in a reverse of the previous night 7-2. Nice collapse by the Giant bullpen in the 6th- Strickland cannot blow his composure like that. At least it will be competitive I think based upon what I saw last night.
Jack of All Parades

Nice split of Games 3 and 4 and with last night going to the Giants 5-0 they sit nicely but I am not getting too optimistic- 8 of the last 10 teams that went into the final 2 games down 3 games to 2 still managed to win the Series- including the Royals back in 1985. They are a pesky bunch and Madison Bumgartner is not pitching tomorrow night for the Giants but I am certainly going to want him on the mound for a game 7 on Wednesday night. I have enjoyed this Series more than I anticipated I would. It helps when a local boy like Hopewell Junctions Joe Panik is playing. Not often that you get to see a player from one's neck of the woods at this level. My youngest daughter's boyfriend played with him in Little League and High School ball. It apparantly was evident even at that level that this kid had some special athletic gifts.
Jack of All Parades

Well double the results of game 5 and flip them to the opposing team and you have the results from game 6. Looking forward to game 7 tonight and I will put that Giant team out there against anybody-never mind that in game 7s the Home team has won the last 9 times. Bring those Royals on..........
Jack of All Parades

Mini celebration in my home for the Giants- nice nail biter for a seventh game and I must say I enjoyed the outcome. Madison Bumgarner put on quite the pitching display- three wins in total and one of them in relief but the highlight for me was the play at second by Panik that surely saved a run or two. 3 championships in 5 years- break up the dynasty..........
Jack of All Parades

2015 Hall of Fame results are in and so are the "Big Unit" and Pedro along with the final muskateer of Atlanta's three- quite happy- quite a few CY Young awards amongst those three pitchers and who cannot love Pedro?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/sport ... ref=sports