Someone Educate Me

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Goody2Shoes

Someone Educate Me

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I'm sure that everyone here will know the answer to my question and you will all get a clue as to the depth of my ignorance (just in case that wasn't already apparent).

What is a 'cutout' in reference to a record or cd? Is it some kind of counterfeit or pirated recording?

I was afraid to ask the boys manning my local record shop, lest they mock me like in 'High Fidelity'.

Thanks in advance!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It's a radio station/promotional copy indicator. When record companies send promo cd's to the stations, the punch a hole in the bar code, so that it won't scan properlay and couldn't be sold as new. Of course, they are sold in used shops and online (and at some less-than-ethical places as new) anyway, but for keeping account of record sales, they don't want promo copies to count. Sometimes they burn a hole in the spine or in the plastic of the case on the barcode as well. It is otherwise identical to a new cd. For most listeners, having a cutout doesn't matter at all, but for collectors, it radically alters the value of the cd.

For the consumer, a cutout can mean saving a few bucks.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

Noiseradio is a smart guy.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

Noise is partially correct. A true "cut-out" is a release that was wildly over-manufactured in the hope of huge retail sales. After failing to move quantity, the labels would sell massive amounts of the overstock product to specialty dealers who, in turn, sold them to retailers for anywhere from $.99 to a few bucks. The retailers would then sell them to the public at a much lower sticker price.

The familiar "notch" or "cut" in the record/tape/cd was to identify the product as a discounted cut-out. The reason for this was to prevent folks from buying a cut-out record/tape/cd for a pittance, and then turning around and returning or exchanging for a full-value item.

Noise is correct that some promos are identified this way, as well.

Out.
It's a living, this is the life.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Thank you. You are both very smart and helpful.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

See, I only knew the radio promo bit from working at a radio station. Good thing Ha' Penny Millionaire knew the rest of the story. I never knew that.

This is such an informative site.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare