Richard Thompson question

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Richard Thompson question

Post by pophead2k »

I know there are quite a few RT afficianados on the board and I'm hoping for some advice. Other than Shoot Out the Lights and I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight, I don't have any of his work. I really enjoy those two albums, but I know there's a wealth of more recent solo stuff to get into to. I'd rather avoid compilations and 'Best Of' sets, so anyone with advice on albums that are strong all the way through, lay it on me!
Jack of All Parades

Re: Richard Thompson question

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It is a bad habit as I cannot quit the "Yum-Yum" of the blue screen plus the opportunity to put in two cents about RT has an equally strong pull. Have listened to RT since 1968 and have never looked back. There are so many to choose from but if I were adding to the two you have already cited I would suggest the following:

"Hand of Kindness"-the great break up record
"Hokey Pokey"- which includes the immortal "A Heart Needs a Home" from back when the marriage still worked
"Rumour & Sigh- which just works from beginning to end and is where you will find the first appearance of "I Misunderstood"
"The Old Kit Bag"- my favorite album of his from the 2000s
"Sweet Warrier"- as previously plugged by EC, containing the delicate "Red Poppy" and some other gems
"Richard Thompson(Guitar,Vocal)" which may violate your compilation restriction but it contains many rare gems from Fairport and solo days and the previously acclaimed live version of "Calvary Cross", lauded by EC
"Small Town Romance" a beautiful live recording of RT alone with just his guitar amazing an audience at Folk City in NYC back in the fall of 1982 and a show I remember fondly from my seat in the audience
"Mock Tudor"- with the memorable "Cooksferry Queen", "Bathsheba Smiles", "Crawl Back(Under My Stone), "Uninhabited Man" and "Walking the Long Miles Home"
"Pour Down Like Silver" for the chilling "Night Comes In" and the reassuring "Dimming of the Day"

Enjoy watching him tonight on Spectacle!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

An informed appreciation of the artist from the Expecting Rain site:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/bl ... d-Thompson
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Can't claim to be an aficionado, but "Rumour and Sigh" is a winner for sure. Plus it has one of the great anti-Thatcher songs on it. Can't go wrong.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That would be Mother Knows Best ... plus it has Withered and Died as covered by Elvis.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

His new album, Electric, is excellent as well. Not a lot of clunkers in his catalogue. Maybe a bit of dated production in some of his 1980s albums but the songs overcome it.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick