Prefab Sprout new album

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
lostdog

Prefab Sprout new album

Post by lostdog »

I'm sure there must be a few Prefab Sprout fans on the board. If so, there's some interesting news about a new album in September. I must admit I thought they were defunct, but apparently not, according to this blog: http://www.ishotamaninrenobook.blogspot.com/
Jackson Monk

Re: Prefab Sprout new album

Post by Jackson Monk »

I am very excited by this news. Paddy is a blessed saint in my book and very much missed. It would be great of he could be persuaded to release some new recordings as well as putting out previously unreleased material.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mental beard!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

That pic is from about 2000 and was pretty radical, (as my 10 year old has taken to saying).
8)
corruptio optimi pessima
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://z6.invisionfree.com/sproutnet/in ... getnewpost

Kitchenware

have released what seems to be an official statement regarding the new album.

‘Let’s Change The World With Music’ was written and produced by Paddy McAloon at Andromeda Heights and mixed in Scotland by Calum Malcolm. The record kicks off with the hip-hop influenced hook-laden piano led ‘Let There Be Music’, which sets the tone for the rest of the record.

Paddy began work on ‘Let’s Change The World With Music’ in 1992, as the follow-up to ‘Jordan: The Comeback’. 17 years later, Paddy returns to these songs, some of his personal favourite compositions.

The 11 tracks are rejoiceful and uplifting, striking an endearingly familiar chord, all the while sounding fresh and timeless. Highlights are aplenty and include the celestial ‘Ride’, the jazzy sway of ‘I Love Music’ and the melancholic ‘Sweet Gospel Music’.

Let's Change The World With Music

Prefab Sprout

1. Let There Be Music
2. Ride
3. I Love Music
4. God Watch Over You
5. Music Is A Princess
6. Earth, The Story So Far
7. Last Of The Great Romantics
8. Falling In Love
9. Sweet Gospel Music
10. Meet The New Mozart
11. Angel Of Love
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

This album is getting rave reviews. Can't wait!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

...been listening to this album all week and it is superb but...the story behind it is even better! Recorded in 1993 and presented to Sony it was rejected as not commercial enough?? at which point Paddy M shelved the songs and turned to other projects. The reclusive Paddy really is a fascinating character and the recent articles in Mojo and The word supplement this record perfectly.
Highly recommended to one and all!!
...I want him to hurt...
Otis Westinghouse

Agree with Thompson that 'Earth: the Story So Far' is the highlight? It's on Spotify for those in Europe who want to check it out.

For any Sprout enthusiasts who haven't yet got the reissued Steve McQueen with bonus acoustic versions recorded recently, do so! Frequently outstanding, a really great way to put out a repackage and feel you're offering something new. The acoustic versions weren't throwaway, often as god as the originals, just n a different way.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Agree with Thompson that 'Earth: the Story So Far' is the highlight? It's on Spotify for those in Europe who want to check it out.

For any Sprout enthusiasts who haven't yet got the reissued Steve McQueen with bonus acoustic versions recorded recently, do so! Frequently outstanding, a really great way to put out a repackage and feel you're offering something new. The acoustic versions weren't throwaway, often as god as the originals, just n a different way.

Only Paddy could write a song callled Earth: The Story So Far. :lol:

Can you imagine the devastation of producing an album this good and having it rejected by the record company.....no wonder he turned into Syd Barrett!

Got to agree about the accoustic Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good. I play it more than the original these days. Fantastic stuff.
corruptio optimi pessima
adge

Post by adge »

I love prefab sprout,
but this is just paddy-and it shows-self indulgence, musically uninspired.....
and religious ambiguity (paddy's homespun 'spirituality') permeates this album, like mycelium in wholemeal bread-Paddy might be able make an infinite number of angels dance on the head of a pin, but he can't make records that lift your soul skyward any more.
Otis Westinghouse

Though bear in mind it was written, recorded and produced by 1993.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

...and it's affectively only a demo.

Personally, I agree that it is a patchy effort, but given that he has made Andromeda Heights, The Gunman and Megaheretz since (both which lack perfection, but still retain some Paddy Mac classics) i think it's a little unfair to say that he can't make great records anymore. Life's a Miracle and The Mystery of Love for example are corking great songs. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
adge

Post by adge »

Life's a Miracle, i never really got that, maybe it's because mine so obviously isn't, or maybe he meant it like the 'rare earth hypothesis', but that's not a miracle just improbable, like all those sperm and only one makes it to the egg, but...now parting the red sea-that's a miracle.
Thing is, The Gunman was 2003, so it's playing fast and loose with the idea of recent to stay he can still make great records-maybe he can and they're all on tape in his shed or something, his beard growing has definitely improved though.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Actually (being the pedant I am) The Gunman was 2001...so it's even worse :lol:

During the last 8 years Paddy has been diagnosed with a progressive medical disorder that affects his retina and impairs his vision and hearing quite badly. Conditions hardly conducive to the writing and recording process. Nevertheless, even in perfect health, anyone would go some to match Steve McQueen or Jordan. IMHO 2 of the greatest albums ever made and I still play them on a regular basis.

Truth be told, most great songwriters burn brightly and then fade somewhat in time. That applies to most of my favourites...McCartney, Lennon, Difford/Tilbrook, Jagger/Richards, John Martyn and dare I say it....Mr McManus. Maybe Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley had the right idea.

Agree with you about the beard. Loving that look. Not sure about the trousers though.
corruptio optimi pessima
adge

Post by adge »

Yeah JM, Steve McQueen, Jordan and I'd add Swoon are simply top drawer-in fact top of the top drawer-on top of the underwear, and socks-look don't judge me.
I know about the Paddster's degenerative disease, but the record is what it is,anyway in perfect health Paddy may have suddenly decided to become a gynaecologist or open a vegetarian restaurant in Hull, these things happen!

Not sure about Nick and Jeff having the right idea though, remember 'life's a miracle'-hey i'm just quoting that :?
Otis Westinghouse

Remember 'Lions In My Own Garden (Exit Someone)', cos his girlfriend buggered off to Limoges or some other story explaining the acrostic. I have that and the other early 7" whose name escapes me on vinyl. I also liked 'Donna Summer' off the WLBD 12".

I loved Swoon when first out, especially the wonderful 'Cruel', which Elv did a nice cover of too, with glowing words about what a great new talent Paddy was.

I saw them at the Birmingham Odeon back then. I think they had re-released WLBD about 4 times as a single, just like The Police and 'So Lonely', desperate to make a chart smash of it. The same confidence led them to believe they could sell out a middling venue like the Odeon, when it was about 1/15th full at most. It was embarrassing, but still a good gig.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

What I love about Swoon is the quirky lyrics and even quirkier vocals. Cue Fanfare quickly had me hooked (as well as in hysterics).
Paddy Mac was never pretentious (which may be the issue with the latest offering). When asked what the songs were about, he told the truty....just a load of nonsense really. Thoughts he had at the time the pen was in his hand. Things changed with Steve McQueen and the lyrics became far more coherent. My list in order would be:

1.Steve McQueen
2.Jordan
3.Steve McQueen (acoustic version)

4.Andromeda Heights
5.Swoon

6The Gunman
7.Langley Park
8.Protest Songs

9.Let's Save the World...
corruptio optimi pessima