Sound Relief... dual concerts and big band re-formations

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Tim(e)

Sound Relief... dual concerts and big band re-formations

Post by Tim(e) »

Nothing posted here on this, so...

Two concerts going under the banner of Sound Relief were held last weekend to raise money for victims of both the Victorian bushfires and the Queensland floods where substantial loss of property (not to mention life) was sustained. These concerts were held concurrently with one in Melbourne on the hallowed turf of the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) which attracted 80,000 people and the other at the SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground) which attracted around 50,000 people.

Apparently they managed to raise something in the order of AUD $5 million which is to be split equally between the two disaster relief groups.

Coldplay and Kings of Leon both performed with Coldplay opening the Sydney concert, but more importantly from a musical perspective, there were a number of very high profile reformations for the event... specifically, Crowded House (with Liam Finn on drums), Split Enz, Hunters & Collectors and Midnight Oil (another lesser known outside of Australia, was Icehouse). Of these reformations, Split Enz were probably the highlight with an absolutely stellar performance that included Shark Attack, Six Months in a Leaky Boat, Dirty Creature and I See Red. Midnight Oil were also in possibly the best form I can recall seeing them, opening with Redneck Wonderland and moving through a powerhouse set that included Beds Are Burning, Blue Sky Mining and Power and the Passion.

Other great performances included Paul Kelly, Liam Finn (an absolute revelation), Jet, Wolfmother, Presets (very very good) the Hoodoo Gurus (apparently fresh from Glastonbury) and so many more I cannot remember now.

Hope you enjoy these few excerpts courtesy of YouTube (and when watching the Midnight Oil clips, bear in mind that the big shaven headed vocalist Peter Garret is now a Federal Environment Minister with the current Australian Government - also note the drummer Rob Hirst who I consider to be the greatest rock drummer since Keith Moon):

Midnight Oil - Redneck Wonderland

Midnight Oil - The Power and the Passion

Crowded House - Better Be Home Soon

Crowded House - Weather With You

Split Enz - Message to My Girl

Split Enz - I Got You

Hunters & Collectors - When the River Runs Dry

The Presets - My People
bambooneedle

Re: Sound Relief... dual concerts and big band re-formations

Post by bambooneedle »

Tim(e) wrote:but more importantly from a musical perspective, there were a number of very high profile reformations for the event... specifically, Crowded House (with Liam Finn on drums), Split Enz, Hunters & Collectors and Midnight Oil (another lesser known outside of Australia, was Icehouse). Of these reformations, Split Enz were probably the highlight with an absolutely stellar performance that included Shark Attack, Six Months in a Leaky Boat, Dirty Creature and I See Red. Midnight Oil were also in possibly the best form I can recall seeing them, opening with Redneck Wonderland and moving through a powerhouse set that included Beds Are Burning, Blue Sky Mining and Power and the Passion.
More importantly? But that's all really old stuff (except The Presets). Who needs a nostalgia trip...
Tim(e) wrote:Other great performances included Paul Kelly, Liam Finn (an absolute revelation), Jet, Wolfmother, Presets (very very good) the Hoodoo Gurus (apparently fresh from Glastonbury) and so many more I cannot remember now.
Now you're talking. Paul Kelly and Hoodoo Gurus were only getting better and better.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

bambooneedle wrote:More importantly? But that's all really old stuff (except The Presets). Who needs a nostalgia trip...
The more importantly was probably a bad choice of words as I was using it in relation to those re-formed acts as opposed to Coldplay and The Kings of Leon. However, having said that, I actually thought that Split Enz's songs were still as fresh today as they were all those years ago. Crowded House were predictably very good in their Beatlesque kind of way, but Split Enz still managed to retain their uniqueness without ever making me feel like I was on a nostalgia trip. And it is funny that you mention Presets as an exception, because as much as I like them, they are really not much more than the love child of a marriage between Gary Numan and The Prodigy :-)
Now you're talking. Paul Kelly and Hoodoo Gurus were only getting better and better.
Yes and no... the only real difference between them and those other bands I mentioned, is that they never took a prolonged break. Paul Kelly is always Paul Kelly (an absolutely brilliant performer and songwriter) and the Hoodoos just played all of the same stuff they always have.... god, I remember them when they first started playing at the old Southern Cross Hotel near Central and they had no drummer, and two bass guitars and three (I think it was) lead/rhythm guitars.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well thanks for putting all that stuff up, thats a lot of fun. peter garret still embarrassing to watch and the split enz still boring as fuck, but man i listened to that shit over and over, the split enz all on lp. how come they all look like old men and i still look 25. sounds like a smashingly dandy event.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.