Twitter, anyone?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Twitter, anyone?

Post by BlueChair »

It's the latest craze! I started hearing so much about it in the news that I thought I'd give it a whirl. As of yet, I don't see the point, but if you want to find me you can go to www.twitter.com and look for BlueMingus (can you believe BlueChair was taken!?)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Twitter, anyone?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nah, Facebook is about as far as I'm willing to go. I don't get Twitter.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I don't really get it either, Sam, but since my mentor/idol/life model Tim Armstrong recently signed up, so did I. I facebook to keep up with my chilluns.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:I don't really get it either, Sam, but since my mentor/idol/life model Tim Armstrong recently signed up, so did I. I facebook to keep up with my chilluns.
I'll have to find you on Facebook. I didn't know you were on there.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's for twits! I guess it's addictive, but who gives a shit? Fascinating though Veggie Dogs or The Who Sell Out may be, it's got this weird air of 'I exist' about it and seems to reduce life to endless trivia. maybe it's fun with friends in the way that instant messaging is. My first experience of it was a link on someone's blog, and it just made me think 'your blog is godawful self-obsessed pointless trivia, why would you want to take your web existence to a new level of excruciating trivia?'

I'm too excited by spotify to be bothered with much else right now. And a quick look at FAQ revealed what had baffled me: to share a song, artist, album or playlist you've created, you just drag it to an email and send to another spotify user, and they can link to it. It's all so simple and all so perfect. the joy of mix tapes is there and recreatable within minutes. Andrew Harrison's section of The Word's 'Best of Now' article was all about it. I really hope you can get free accounts in the USA, Canada, etc. in future cos it really is the dog's bollocks.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

At the risk of sounding snarky, I have to say that I don't really give a sh*t about Facebook (although I am a member) so of course I'm totally lost on Twitter. I love you guys and all of my internet friends but I really don't care what everyone had for breakfast, how much laundry is on tap for the day or what deodorant they use. Sometimes the internet brings out the serial voyeur or exhibitionist in the best of us.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

migdd wrote:At the risk of sounding snarky, I have to say that I don't really give a sh*t about Facebook (although I am a member) so of course I'm totally lost on Twitter. I love you guys and all of my internet friends but I really don't care what everyone had for breakfast, how much laundry is on tap for the day or what deodorant they use. Sometimes the internet brings out the serial voyeur or exhibitionist in the best of us.
Yeah there is that aspect of it, but for me at least Facebook is a good way to stay connected with people. Take my brother and sister on the West Coast for example. Usually by the time I can call them on a weeknight I am ready to head off to bed. But I can interact with them on Facebook much more easily. I spend so much of my time holed up in an office or at home that it is good to be able to connect with people. Yes, sometimes it is trivial, but I don't mind.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Wife with A Problem does the Facebook thing, I just don't think it's for me. I don't really have a clue as to what Twtter is - some sort of instant messaging type thing I guess and I'm already looking at my crackberry way too much. My one consession to the networking thing is LinkedIn - but does that really count?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think to some degree it's a generational thing too (Facebook). Virtually everyone in my high school's graduating class is on there, not to mention 90% of my current crop of friends. We use it to organize events, share pictures, and communicate (the telephone and e-mail is great, but when you only have a few minutes it's easy enough to send a quick note to one of your friends on there). And for those who no longer live in town, it's a great way to feel like we're still connected.

Also: It used to be that people would bring their camera to a party or gathering and I would never see the photos. Now, not only will I get to see them, but they'll be up and ready to view quite quickly. Thanks to Facebook, we were able to see some of our wedding photos within a few hours of it being over.

Now, with Twitter I get that it seems awfully self-indulgent and amateurish. To be perfectly honest, I don't entirely get it myself. But I like being able to follow Toronto's Mayor David Miller and see what kind of initiatives he's involved with. I like having a direct tap into New York Times food critic Mark Bittman, as he shares his food observations and favourite recipes of the day. To me, it's not a whole lot different than our "Random Thoughts" thread here, only you have a bit of access to people who aren't even going to turn up on the board.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
migdd

Post by migdd »

I've watched my 12-year-old daughter spend an hour on the couch with my wife's cell phone, texting one of her friends. She can also spend incredible amounts of time burning up her corneas instant-messaging with her friends on our PC. It's amazing that she can spend so much time typing her communications (in a language that barely resembles English) when a 5-minute phone call or 30-second face-to-face would communicate so much more.

I remember when I was my daughter's age that my grandmother would warn that television was destroying family life. I didn't want to hear that then and I'm cautious coming across as an old fuddy-duddy now. However, I still don't allow my kids access to the net on the PCs in their bedrooms and limit the amount of time they have access on the one computer in our house that is connected.

During Obama's first state of the union address, a great portion of the audience had there heads bowed. I thought at first that they were praying until it became apparent that they were texting on their blackberries. Isn't that an incredible display of self-absorbtion or, at the very least, just a bit rude? They are in the same room as the President of the United States who is discussing how he intends to try to fix a country that has had at least eight years of neglect and shoddy management yet they can't disconnect themselves from their crack boxes long enough to pay attention?

I'm as guilty as anybody about spending too much time sucking on the newest glass teat and get just as angry at myself as I pry myself from its grasp, eyes burning and glazed-over in euphoric response to the pleasures of that glowing succubus.

I'm taking my son camping next weekend, dammit!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I dunno. It's all a matter of balance. I spent most of the day working on my boy's Pinewood Derby car with him, then we got a haircut and made dinner together. Only then did we park our asses in front of the TV and watch Groundhog Day together. I sometimes worry that my kids are over-mediated but if you take time out to do other things you can avoid raising TV/Internet zombies. Game night is another things we do every few weeks.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Balance means staying away from the computer for long periods of time.

<satori moment!>
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

During Obama's first state of the union address, a great portion of the audience had there heads bowed. I thought at first that they were praying until it became apparent that they were texting on their blackberries.
twittering away, no doubt!

I want to put a disclaimer on my twitter - don't follow me! I'm only here to follow!

Balance, schmalance. I was practically raised by the tv. I still remember the theme song to the first cartoon show I ever saw - it's funtime, it's funtime, it's channel 30 funtime!. And I've turned out perfectly whatever.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The annoying aspect to Twitter (i.e. why I feel entitled to be curmudgeonly about it): a couple of months ago, I was at a small party, and one of the guests (who is usually very polite), kept taking time out to tweet about what she was doing at the party. It's like, you're doing something fun! You can report on it later! Be here with us!

I'd probably be even more annoyed if Obama had been there. Actually, if he were there, I wouldn't give a shit what anyone was doing with their cell phones. More for me!
Otis Westinghouse

She was probably expecting all the other people at the party to be picking it up at the party or on their return home. It sums up how this facility can take you so far up your own arse, your mouth gets blocked.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I've got the twitter bug, a lovely waste of time.

http://twitter.com/fergalmartin
carriestar44

Post by carriestar44 »

Not the biggest fan of Twitter, face book can do everything twitter can do and more imo
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Oh, go on then. @AgentBrownCow

Like I'm going to be as interesting as Stephen bleedin' Fry or something...
Otis Westinghouse

Doritos for breakfast indeed. I've just wasted valuable time Twittersurfing which even led me to signing up so I could search for people. It's bizare how readily well-known folk pop up. Are they real or fake? John Cleese, etc. Stephen Fry seems to record his every movement there, bowel included. Happy to say I resisted the temptation to tweet and aim to keep it that way. Life really is too short. It was nice having two weeks without a computer screen (apart from 30 mins of hell trying to select the FF team).
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I'm bored already. Though I did have Jason Bradbury from The Gadget Show following me for some bizarre reason.
Otis Westinghouse

So you've stopped yours already? Nice one.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

twitter.com/7shells
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

solacklustre is a tweeter
signed with love and vicious kisses