Natural and Not So Natural Disaster - Spare a Thought...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Tim(e)

Natural and Not So Natural Disaster - Spare a Thought...

Post by Tim(e) »

... for the families and friends of the 130 or more victims of the bush fires in the state of Victoria, here in Australia.

This figure is likely to grow over time and in addition, 750 homes have been lost and two entire towns razed to the ground in what has become the most devastating "natural" disaster in the history of this country. If that is not bad enough, it seems that something like half of these fires were deliberately lit!!! A sad reflection on the state of the human race.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Natural and Not So Natural Disaster - Spare a Thought...

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Man, that's awful. I developed a real affection for Australia on my visits there. Hopefully they can find out who is responsible - not that it would do anything to help those who have lost their loved ones.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected. It's inconceivable to me that anyone could do this on purpose. I had not seen any photos from this until this morning - truly, truly frightening how quickly things go from dangerous to deadly.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

A national tragedy, as well as a world tragedy.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The stories are truly horrendous, and my thoughts very much with those affected. What I haven't heard in the stories is whether it's believed some were started deliberately because of evidence or suspicious circumstances, or simply because 15% of fires are started by 'firebugs'. Apparently they were ones that were put out and restarted, but surely that happens naturally too. The PM has been very movingly emotional in his interviews.

Apparently there's flooding in Queensland while all this is happening, which makes it all seem even sadder. Hope no-one you or anyone else here knows is affected. An in-law's distant relative was over here from Australia, and returned at the weekend to find their home burned down and their neighbour dead. Horrendous stuff.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

This is almost unimaginable! The images are horrific but probably don't capture how awful these events really are. Many postive thoughts from the northern hemisphere are traveling south.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

One guy I work with use to live about an hour out of Melbourne. One of the news reports playing over and over on TV shows about a minute or 2 of footage of what use to be his house. Several large ceramic flower pots, a wrought iron archway,and the chimney of a fireplace he put in 2 year ago are all that's left; his neighbour's 2 horses lay charred on the side. He had sold the house when he and family moved to London about a year ago - needless to say he was feeling very lucky to be alive yesterday.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:The stories are truly horrendous, and my thoughts very much with those affected. What I haven't heard in the stories is whether it's believed some were started deliberately because of evidence or suspicious circumstances, or simply because 15% of fires are started by 'firebugs'. Apparently they were ones that were put out and restarted, but surely that happens naturally too. The PM has been very movingly emotional in his interviews.

Apparently the police did claim to be closing in on an alleged fire bug responsible for restarting a fire that resulted in the deaths of a number of people. However, what was more incomprehensible was the fact that after all of this, a 15 year old kid is arrested for starting a grass fire! Admittedly it was in a more urban area, but with the tinderbox conditions that currently exist, it almost beggars belief. And yes, in PM Rudd we finally have a leader who is committed and compassionate.

The whole scale of this is mind boggling and the police are now expecting the toll to rise to around the 300 mark. :cry:

Hope no-one you or anyone else here knows is affected.

No-one I know has been directly affected, but a Shanghai based friend of mine has a daughter at an International school in Kilmore which is in the affected area. They are safe and not in any immediate danger, but she said that the school has not been informing her of events... she only learned of the fires when I told her.