D-Day

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

D-Day

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Free at last, free at last!

I can see a few of you watching on Facebook. How will the rest of you be following events?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Re: D-Day

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Watching CNN now. It really is amazing.

When is the last time you saw people in the crowd so excited about who was going to be our next President?

It really is a great day to be an American.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Going to pop a nice bottle of Proseco at noon to celebrate. I just wish the nets would quit focusing so much on which celebrities are there. Who cares!?!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Not to mention that I love knowing that the new first lady's name is Michelle. ;-)
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Well Michelles rule!

I'm very excited about this. Good thing classes are cancelled; I would have skipped anyway.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

You know, I'm sitting in the same room of my house watching this news coverage where I watched the horrible 9/11 coverage just over 7 years ago. This is a much, much happier occasion!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Great speech, on paper at least. I got pulled into a bloody boring conference call and could strangle my boss with my bare hands.

*deep breaths*

I'm sure they'll replay it later.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Welcome back, America! This Canadian may have a vested interest in your United States, but I think I speak for a lot of people here when I congratulate you on picking an optimistic, motivated and thoroughly inspiring leader. The challenges ahead are supreme, but you have much to be proud of.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
alexv

Post by alexv »

My office has a large number of African Americans, with a majority being women, and today as a large group gathered in one of our conference rooms to watch his speech, many were in tears. There are a lot of hard working, single mothers among them, salt of the earth kind of women who struggle mightily to make better lives for their kids and watch over them like the greatest of earth mothers. They talked about the example they hoped this man would be for their kids, and beamed with pride at O's election.

That's really what this election has been about for me. I know I won't agree with some of what goes on for the next four to eight years, but the election of Obama seems to me to be of greater significance than partisan politics. It speaks of something great about our country. It's a step forward into a future that puts to a lie the notion that there is something inherently racist about our society. Racism exists here in the US and elsewhere and will continue to exist long after Obama's presidency ends, but for too long folks have assumed that our country carried racist scars that would never heal, that could not allow for someone like Obama to be elected President. That's been proven wrong.

The sentiments that got him elected, based on the notion that a talented black man is no different, at the core, than a talented white man, have been brewing for a long time in our country, regardless of who's been in the White House. Clearly, Bush's unpopularity meant that any Democrat nominee would win. So Obama in some ways had it easy. Once he won the nomination, the only way for him to lose would have been due to extraordinary racist sentiment. Many feared that this would happen. But it did not. He won and won handily, and that is the key. Our country is just not that kind of country anymore. His election is the natural result of a progression that's been long in the making, going back to the beginnings of the 20th century, when little by little the idea that blacks were inferior began to be challenged. Many, black and white, have paid heavy prices over the years in that struggle. O's election validates their efforts.

O's election doesn't mean America is back from some abyss. It's much more positive than that: it means that the great work of so many, that's been germinating, slowly but surely over the years, has come to fruition.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Beautifully stated Alex. It is funny how history aligns itself sometimes. Right man, right time, right reasons.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

I only wish Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms were still around. I would have enjoyed that immensely.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

(wow, a double dutchess appearance! those are hard to come by.)
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Although his books are, I hear, very well written and he is an outstanding orator, he doesn't write his own speech (some geezer who's like 27 was seen in Starbuck's with 'First draft inaugural' on his laptop screen (Favreau or the like, known as Favs). But then Obama knew all 19 minutes of it by heart. Amazing. Shame I was at work and missed it live, a great moment.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Afghanistan is now Obama's War. Increased troop commitments through 2014.

Alright Obama. Now you are using your head
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)