Southside Johnny/Steve Forbert

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
blooch

Southside Johnny/Steve Forbert

Post by blooch »

Hi all. Is there anyone on here that knows anything about Southside Johnny. He is coming to my city of Norwich uk in november and has been around for 25 years or more. Ive heard a few clips of his songs and have a cd and live dvd on its way to me. Have i missed a good act all these years? Also if anyone knows anything about Steve Forbert i would be grateful as ive ordered a live dvd of him too as i heard some clips of his songs also and they too sound good. Thanks all.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: Southside Johnny/Steve Forbert

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Southside Johnny has a Tom Waits covers album out in September, so that should make for an interesting show in Norwich. Enjoy.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Southside is one of those New Jersey boys who came up with Springsteen. He has been identified as the "best white blues singer". Always a great horn section and very personable and hard working. I saw him just last year. His best album is "Heart of Stone" but the "Best of .." has everything you need. Go, you will love it if you like rock, blues and a killer horn section. Check it out on itunes. Steve Forbert is still around?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

always dancing wrote:He has been identified as the "best white blues singer".
Isn't he more of a soul singer? I don't know a whole lot of his stuff besides that with the Asbury Jukes. In any case, I'd definitely go see him. A lot of their material wasn't recorded anywhere near as well as it sounds live. There's a Christmas show featuring Bruce Springsteen, The Max Weinberg 7 (ie. horns) and Friends (or something like that) (Convention Hall, New Jersey, Dec 2000 http://www.brucebase.org.uk/gig2000.htm#64 I think it was Dec 18) with him on it and some inspired performances of some AJ classics like I Don't Want to Go Home and This Time It's For Real worth looking around for. They get the full treatment. All I Needed Was You is a great song, too "babe l didn`t understand I was just a young boy/ All I wanted was the rich man`s play toys". He trades vocals with Little Steven and Bruce, both who wrote some of their songs. Welcome, AD.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

yes he is soul. I actually worked at Convention Hall in Asbury Park in the summer of 1979. I saw lots of bands including Southside and Forbert. Great experience. I will probable see Southside again when he comes to Phila in Nov. have a good time
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

oh steve forbert is still around. generally plays alone in venues of 100-200, all the time. sporadically tours with some old bandmembers for a few shows. his voice is in tatters, but tends to actually be worse on record than live, like john hiatt. has a record out within the last year or so. the one before that, Just There's Nothin' To It, is splendid. songs now range from corny sentimentality or just plain corny, to tender and poignant, and sometimes funny. has some apparent performance anxiety issues that are a little bizarre, but he is extremely cordial, interactive and just a delight to see. at least when performing alone. and will talk afterward and seems genuinely appreciative that you are still there.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

So have we heard how the concert was or is it in the future?
blooch

Post by blooch »

The concert is on October 8th not november as i first mentoned. At the Waterfront in Norwich. It has been advertised for ages and i bought 2 tickets and got numbers 70 and 71. I hope there are more sold before the date otherwise it might be cancelled. Hope it isnt. Will keep you posted on how it goes.
blooch

Post by blooch »

Just 2 weeks to go til Southside Johnny comes to Norwich. I hope its better than the last gig i went to ( terrrovision) or terriblevision as i called it. I couldnt hear the vocals at all. It was awful. Will keep you posted on how it went if anyone is interested? I hope so lol.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Just remember "baby I don't want to go home"
blooch

Post by blooch »

Ah a fan i hope? None of my friends have heard of him. I came across him via the HMV site comparing him to Graham Parker so i bought the Best Of cd and love it.
blooch

Post by blooch »

Well tomorrow night is the night me and my brother go to see Southside Johnny he has ticket number 70 and i have 71. Could be plenty of space to move around but i like the living room feel to a gig. Who knows i might even get to put my feet up. Will keep you postd on how it went.
blooch

Post by blooch »

Hi everyone. Well the gig has been and gone. A very enjoyable night it was too. There were only around 200 people but the atmosphere was great. My brother and i got to the gig at 7.10 pm expecting it to begin at 7.30 only to be told that there was no support band even though it stated it on our tickets. We were let into the building at 8.15.

Southside Johnny and his 8 piece band came on at 8.30 and broke into the first song of the night. The only problem was that the vocals could not be heard so at the end of the song i called out to Johnny( as we were at the front) to state this fact. He obliged by getting his sound guy to turn his vocal up which made all the difference. His vocal was amazing and the band looked like they were having fun.

They played some great songs including a rendition of Dont Walk Away Rene and Having A Party plus I Dont Want To Go Home and many bluesy numbers. Two and a half hours of a great band and i personally got handed the lead guitar players pick at the end made it all worthwhile. It actually seemed like there were more people there as everyone had a great time. Even the security guy said he enjoyed it and he normally finds fault in most bands at the venue.

Its Teddy Thompson for me next in January 09.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

I knew you would have a great time. Was that Bobby who gave you the pick? He is a good guy. His son actually has some neurologic disease that has cost alot of money to care for. Bruce Springsteen and others have done benfit concerts to help raise money for his son's care. P.S. He usually only gives his pick to pretty girls up front.
blooch

Post by blooch »

Yes it was Bobby who gave me the pick. I think he enjoyed my banter with Johnny and the fluttering of my eyelashes LOL.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Just saw Leon Russell with Southside Johnny at the Keswick in Philadelphia. Great show by both. Bobby gave me more than a pick (just kidding) A show well worth going to if it comes to your area.