What are you listening to?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah....Regatta De Blanc was the last cool thing that The Police did.
Must pick it up on CD
'On Any Other Day' was great.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

North

Tourist - St. Germain

Some Funkadelic Greatest Hits CD

Damaged - Black Flag
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
The Essential Johnny Cash Vol 1
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

tori amos/strange little girls
new order/get ready
morphine/like swimmin´
p.j harvey/ stories from the city stories from the sea
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
Them - Best of
Dexy's - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
Crowded House - Afterglow
Jellyfish - Bellybutton
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Cake
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Byrds...Sweetheart of the Rodeo, special anniversary edition with 2 cds!
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Great album that Mr Crow - and very appropriate too.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

NUTRASWEET JESUS i am in love with this thing. both halfs.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Usually North or Punch the Clock.

I'm trying to be more sensitive to Jody's no-elvis needs, so when she's in the car, I throw in either Wingspan, or Comfort Eagle.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Sulky-- that Ramones anthology is a killer, no? That and a nice jay will clean my house nearly all by themselves...

Cake: totally addictive. Was really disappointed in them live, but their records are hilarious and smart and fun as hell.

Me now: A bunch of Lloyd Cole; Bowie's newie; Jeff Buckley 101 (that's my course of study, not some rarity you've never heard of); Buddy Holly collection (thanks, Boy!! How I love that!). And the radio, which I've been 'off' for a long time. A crappy stretch for me, and the radio shakes things up, with memories and all that. Helpful.

And NORTH, still. I haven't really even delved into the 3 re-issues yet!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Picked up The Jam - Greatest Hits. JM, I recall that you are a fan... I'm pretty impressed with it. I see that like EC they also had their horns period, of which I particularly like Absolute Beginners on this compilation.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Billy Bragg.....Must I Paint You A Picture

Awesome...especially his take on route 66, 'A13 trunk road to the sea'
Jackson Doofster

Indeed I am a great Jam fan Mr Needle. Alas, I can no longer say I am a Paul Weller fan :(

Absolute Begginers is not regarded as one of The Jam's best. I suggest that you buy All Mod Cons - an absolute gem! Then buy Setting Sons. Then everything else (leaving This is the Modern World until last).

The Jam were damn fine 8)
Last edited by Jackson Doofster on Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Isn't one copy of All Mod Cons enough? Maybe one of those was meant to be the immortal Setting Sons, which I know you, like me, are a big fan of. For me it's those two, Sound affects to a lesser degree, and of course the classic non-LP singles Strange Town and When You're Young. Genius, all of it.
bambooneedle

Oi!

Post by bambooneedle »

When You're Young (and others eg. "This is the mo-den wuuld!") sounds so pure. Love the melodic ending (& the"Wo-o-oh!s"). Down In The Tube Station At Midnight, Town Called Malice, Going Underground, Start!, That's Entertainment, Eton Rifles, News Of The World, and more -- all great stuff.

Thanks, I look forward to finding more. What do you think of The Style Council?... I only know the songs Shout To The Top and Walls Come Tumbling Down well. It's quite a different sound obviously...
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

It's worth getting a Style Council greatest hits. They had a couple of excellent singles (e.g. Speak Like a Child, Long Hot Summer, You're the Best Thing), but the albums are pretty boring and self indulgent (especially towards the end).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Agree with Doof's slurring about the Jam but disagree about Weller now. His last album was slightly disappointing but he has produced some brilliant solo albums (Wild Wood, Stanley Road & Heliocentric) and this years release (Fly On The Wall) a compilation of rarities and bsides is well worth having. He also released 'Days Of Speed' a couple of years ago which is an album of old tracks (including some Jam songs) recorded accoustically.

Saw him live about 3 years ago and he was damn fine and am going to see him again in December.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Doofster

SLL

I can only agree with you about Wild Wood, which I think is a great record. His first solo album wasn't bad either. I bought Stanley Rd and just couldn't get into it - it seemed so....grown up. I lost interest soon after the Heavy Soul album, which bored me rigid. I've only heard snippets of his recent stuff, but it somehow lacks the urgency and raw passion of his Jam days. I guess that is inevitable and that there might be a parallel there with Elvis. However, at least Elvis hasn't tried to regurgitatethe same AOR for the past 10 years. Maybe I'm being harsh. I really wanted to love his solo stuff...but I can't..
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Buddy Holly collection (thanks, Boy!! How I love that!).
If you're impressed by this, presumably some best of, do track down this,
http://hem.passagen.se/quos/holly.html
an extraordinary boot collection of commercially unavailable BH stuff. Even his hack session work has guitar lines that any guitarists would give a limb to be able to play.