Nick Lowe Reissues, Expands Jesus of Cool

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Nick Lowe Reissues, Expands Jesus of Cool

Post by BlueChair »

From Pitchfork:

Nick Lowe was all about embracing his elder statesman status this year, releasing an album called At My Age and rocking his distinguished white mane on tour. But next year marks the 30th anniversary of the man's debut, Jesus of Cool, and on February 19, he'll get a little nostalgic with a reissue of the record on Yep Roc.

Jesus of Cool has been out of print for some time, and it was originally issued in the U.S. under the name Pure Pop for Now People with a tweaked tracklist. The reissue restores the original title and tracklist on CD, double vinyl, and download. It comes with 10 rare bonus tracks as extras, and the package also features a booklet with memorabilia (hopefully more things like the ridiculous vintage pic at left) and an essay by Will Birch.

Lowe has no immediate plans to return to the road just yet.

Jesus of Cool: 30th Anniversary Edition:

01 Music for Money
02 I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass
03 Little Hitler
04 Shake and Pop
05 Tonight
06 So It Goes
07 No Reason
08 36 Inches High
09 Marie Provost
10 Nutted by Reality
11 Heart of the City (Live)
12 Shake That Rat *
13 I Love My Label *
14 They Called It Rock *
15 Born a Woman *
16 Endless Sleep *
17 Halfway to Paradise *
18 Rollers Show *
19 Cruel to Be Kind (Original Version) *
20 Heart of the City *
21 I Don't Want the Night to End *

* bonus track
Last edited by BlueChair on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sweet! :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

About damned time!!!!! :D :D :D

Has anybody told moody yet? :wink:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

YES!

but, where is the ridiculous vintage pic, Blue??????

there it is - thanks muchos. I love that sweater.
Last edited by mood swung on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Yes! Oh, that makes me happy. When it rains, it pours. Nick Lowe on my iPod sounds mighty fine to me.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
johnfoyle

Re: Nick Lowe Reissues, Expands Jesus of Cool

Post by johnfoyle »

http://mog.com/Terry_Staunton/blog_post/134121

Jan. 1 '08

Nick Lowe speaks candidly to MOG

"I didn't think anyone would be talking about this record come the end of 1978, let alone 2008," says Nick Lowe, of the 30th anniversary reissue of his debut solo album Jesus Of Cool, in the shops and on-line this coming February. Self-effacing as ever, he's still trying to find his feet after the blanket praise heaped on his 2007 release, At My Age, so the idea of his first forays into long-playing popdom still being worthy of discussion has left him bemused, to say the least.

Nonetheless, one of the last true gents of the music business took the time to telephone Mogger Terry Staunton, and answer several questions about his well-respected roots as a solo performer.

First up, it has to be said that Jesus Of Cool is a marvellous name for an album...

"It was a journalist called Tim Lott (of erstwhile UK music magazine Sounds) who actually coined the phrase in an article he wrote about me, and we all just rocked with laughter when we read it. We just thought, 'Thank you very much - that's the album title'."

It was changed to Pure Pop For Now People for the American release. Was that because the suits at the record label were jittery about the "Jesus" reference?

"Yes, they were very jittery, which might seem incredible thinking about it today - or maybe not. I was never privvy to the internal memos that went back and forth between Columbia Records in the States and our London office, but there was absolutely no question of us ever getting to call the record Jesus Of Cool in America. But of course, we rather enjoyed that, we didn't protest. We thought, 'Great! Two album titles! Fantastic!' It absolutely fell in line with the stuff we were doing on purpose. My old label Stiff Records was always very mischievous, putting records out in wrong sleeves, sending the wrong artist photos to the music press, all that stuff. We were all dyed-in-the-wool record collectors, trying to create our own rarities."

"Pure Pop For Now People" was, in itself, typical of the playful slogans that were such a part of Stiff's label copy and promotional material.

"That's right. The Americans didn't offer that as their own alternative title, it was something we came up with ourselves. But I'm sure there were people at the American label who didn't get the irony of it, who thought 'That's more like it!', like it was some serious and bold proclamation from our camp. In those days there was still a pretty straight element to most major record companies, but nowadays I reckon everyone is hip, to some degree or another. Even the dreary people are a little bit hip these days."

The album wasn't recorded over one labour-intensive period of time, was it?

"No, I did it in dribs and drabs, really. It's very hard to remember the recording of it, as evinced by the booklet credits. Some of the tracks I have no recollection of where they were done, or who played on them, so it was nice to get in touch with a few people I'd not spoken to in years to get a comprehensive listing of the specific musicians - but we all had different memories of the time, so it wasn't always that big a help. There are certain cuts where more than one drummer has sworn to me that it was them who played. In those cases, I've listed them all to save arguments."

Could it be that there's stuff you recorded a couple of times, but you're unsure which version was finally used?

"Maybe, but I was never really one for doing demos at that time, so there isn't more than one recording of most things. I always used to say that the demos were invariably better than the finished thing, so having done the song once that was gonna be it. The demo was the finished track."

You were always fairly honest and open about your, shall we say, "homages" to other people's songs in your own material on the record.

"Ah, you mean, my 'sampling', for want of a better word..."

Well, things like Music For Money, which was seen as a partial rewrite of 10cc's Art For Art's Sake. Were you ever looking over your shoulder and thinking that perhaps you'd borrowed a little too much?

"Um, yes, but when I think back to it now, it was a time when I was very ambitious. I'd done my apprenticeship up and down the motorways of England and Europe, endless tours as a member of Brinsley Schwarz, and suddenly I found myself at the front of the queue, as it were. Finally, it was my turn to do something, and all I really knew was that I didn't want to play the Establishment game, as I saw it. I wanted to create a persona for myself as a sort of maverick and a risk-taker. A mischief-maker, really, someone who operated under no flag. I don't think I've changed much, in that respect. So, it was all part of this persona I was trying to foster, with these really obvious 'steals'. My attitude was always, 'So, sue me'."

Some "steals" were more obvious than others, though. Several press reviews of your first single, So It Goes, pointed out its similarities to Steely Dan's Reelin' In The Years.

"Yes, there's that little descending chord sequence. Having said that, Phil Lynott had already pinched it for Thin Lizzy's The Boys Are Back In Town, so maybe I wasn't stealing, as such. It was more that I was receiving stolen goods! There were times when I thought, 'Oh, blimey, you'll never get away with this, Nick', but it was all part of a bigger, albeit somewhat vague, plan."

Was that the thinking behind the series of portraits on the sleeve, yourself pictured in various stripes of fashionable(?) garb, holding ever more ludicrous guitars?

"I can't remember that we talked about it too deeply, we just thought it would look great. I think it ended up looking quite striking, and it was a real fun thing to do. It was the work of good old Barney Bubbles, who did a lot of sleeve art for the pub rock crowd and for Stiff."

The album includes the 50s-style teen ballad Little Hitler, and the following year you produced the Elvis Costello track Two Little Hitlers. Was that a case of someone actually stealing from you for a change?!

"No, it was me unashamedly nicking from Elvis! If I remember rightly, he was originally thinking of calling his This Year's Model album Little Hitler. He toyed with it for a while, but went off it, so I asked him if I could nick the title for a song of my own. Of course, Elvis grabbed it back with a little twist when he came to do Armed Forces."

I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass was the album's big hit single, but it's a song you've rarely played live since.

"I've always had a pretty glib reason for that. My contention is that there's not really a song there. It's a really great record, but not much of a song. I just had this little idea in the studio, but the addition of Andrew Bodnar on bass and Steve Goulding on drums, both from Graham Parker's band The Rumour, what they added to it really turned it in to something. Up until then it wasn't really anything. My general rule is that if you can play something on an acoustic guitar, it's a pretty good song, it's something everyone can join in with. But you can't really do that with Breaking Glass, I don't think. You get sort of fed up with it after about four bars."

Alongside The Rumour, you also drafted in various members of The Attractions, Ian Dury's Blockheads, and your own colleagues from Rockpile. There seemed to be a little gang of musicians all playing on each other's records back then - a New Wave clique, for want of a better expression.

"I suppose so. We all knew each other, because we'd all come up through the pub rock scene at the same time. I know I said I've never worked under any flag, but pub rock would be the only one I'd ever own up to. The thing about pub rock is that it's been so maligned down the years, I've even used it as a disparaging term myself on occasion, but there were a lot of good people operating in that world, making some really terrific records. Whether you ultimately think Jesus Of Cool is one of those records is entirely up to you..."

The 30th anniversary edition of Jesus Of Cool, featuring a bonus ten tracks of B-sides and earlier Stiff Records releases, is out in February
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

For those who can't wait here's a download of the (doubtlessly inferior) 1995 CD edition -

http://billieredsocks.multiply.com/musi ... _Nick_Lowe

...............and Labour of Lust

http://billieredsocks.multiply.com/music/item/610
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

http://store.yeproc.com/album.php?id=13159

now available for pre-order. and streaming now.

And you can get a spiffy new t! (but only with a pre order)

StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Want. Want.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

StrictTime wrote:Want. Want.
Want One or Want Two ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

invisible Pole wrote:
Want One or Want Two ?
Both! And Poses and Release the Stars and Rufus Wainwright and.... :P
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

StrictTime wrote:
invisible Pole wrote:
Want One or Want Two ?
Both! And Poses and Release the Stars and Rufus Wainwright and.... :P
I'd be interested to know how you like Release the Stars. Held off on getting that for some reason - maybe a case of Rufus overload last year.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: I'd be interested to know how you like Release the Stars. Held off on getting that for some reason - maybe a case of Rufus overload last year.
Don't have it. Wish I did. I was just rattling off Rufus albums. But it may be the next thing I pick up, because now I'm going to have to complete a collection.

Now, back to Nick Lowe..... :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/02/09/200525.php

Music Review: Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool

Written by Bill Sherman
Published February 09, 2008

There was a time when Nick "Basher" Lowe should've taken over the world of pop music. An active producer (among his credits: Elvis Costello and Graham Parker’s early albums) and songwriter, the former Brinsley Schwartz bassist was a core figure in the London-based maverick music label, Stiff Records.

His 1976 "Heart of the City/So It Goes" single was the first to bear the Stiff imprimatur - and a great start for the label it was, too. The one-chord-wonderfulness of "Heart" and powered-up Steely Dan updating of "So It Goes" were definitely something to hear: hookier than punk (note Lowe's production presence on the first Damned singles) but also punchy as hell. In America, it went nowhere, though three years later "Goes" would show up in Alan Arkush's drive-in punk rock tribute, Rock 'N' Roll High School.

To pop-nerds keeping an ear on the late seventies D.I.Y. scene, Lowe was a ubiquitous presence: his singles and EP (Bowi, named after the Thin White Duke released his Low album) received a lot of coverage in more forward looking pop-rock mags like Bomp! and Trouser Press. When Lowe's first solo album, Jesus of Cool (retitled Pure Pop for Now People in the states by a skittish Columbia Records), was released in March 1978, those of us who'd been scouring the import bins for smaller samples of the man's work eagerly grabbed the long-player and waited for the rest of the country to catch up.

Unfortunately, '78 was the year of the Bee Gees' disco dominance, and the highest Pure Pop would make it on the Billboard charts was #127. The only time Lowe would dent the Top Forty in this country was with "Cruel to Be Kind" (#12) from his follow-up release, Labour of Lust.

In retrospect, it's not difficult to see why Cool/Pop stiffed in the states. As amusingly repped by its cover (Lowe holding a series of guitars in a variety of musical costumes: bearded folky, grinning hippie, glam rocker, rockabilly singer, etc.), the album is all over the place. A smorgasbord of pop-rock styles, united by Lowe's voice and witty lyrical sense, the disc celebrated pop diversity in a way that neither the disco enslaved nor the punk enthralled could accept. Submitted into evidence: Pure Pop's agreeably kitschy tribute to the then-fading Bay City Rollers, "Rollers Show," with its chorus echoes of "Chapel of Love." Girl groups and the Bay City Rollers? Not even early Blondie would have dreamed of taking it that far.

Many of the more "serious" rock critics of the day managed to miss the mark, too, focusing instead on the more willfully difficult Elvis Costello, whose Lowe-produced debut came out in '77. I remember one PC-minded critic of the day, in fact, reviewing a Stiff Records sampler that contained both "Heart of the City" and a Costello track, unfavorably comparing the former to the latter and condemning Lowe for perceived lyrical sexism. Sexism in rock - who'd have thunk it? (For the record, "Heart" illuminates its young boys' sexism rather than endorsing it.) Clearly, the man was too musically facile to be taken seriously.

What's more, Lowe himself was aware of this situation and seemingly didn't care. Two tracks on the album directly comment on the then-current state of the music industry. In "Shake And Pop" (re-recorded and retitled "They Called It Rock" for the U.S. release), he describes a variety of label reactions to a one-hit-wonder's second release. "Arista say they love it, but the kids can't dance to it," one line in the chorus goes, amusingly nailing the plight of a score of fledgling power-poppers. (By way of historical context, garageiste poppers Blondie wouldn't make the U.S. charts until they cut the discoid "Heart of Glass" for their third album back in '78.) What mainly mattered was cranking out a string of addictively hooky pop-rock tracks, if only for Lowe's own amusement.

Thirty years on, and the man's celebration of shake 'n' pop is getting the deluxe CD treatment it deserves. Presented under its UK title, the disc follows the British version's original sequencing and track selection (as with the Clash's first release, the American version contained slightly different tracks) with the original two added Pure Pop cuts ("Rollers Show" and "They Called It Rock") included in the disc's bonus ten tracks. Cleverly packaged - the case folds out into a crucifix! - the set once more brings this unjustly neglected collection of pop power and cheesy glory into the light. Even cooler for those of who've long been making do with the '89 import Demon Records release of Cool, Yep Roc's disc contains a swell set of liner notes by former pub-rocker Will (Kursaal Flyers, Records) Birch, which attempts to sift through the period's drunken haze to tell who actually performed on each track.

Because the original two versions were pointedly mum on musicians' credits, many fans concluded that most of the musical chores were handled by Lowe’s chums in Rockpile (as they would later be in Labour of Lust), but, aside from the U.K. version's live performance of "Heart of the City" and the U.S. release's re-titled "They Called It Rock," the albums' tracks were created with a more piecemeal lineup. Several members of Graham Parker's then-backing band, the Rumour, show up on more than a few tracks, as do members of Elvis Costello's Attractions; Dave Edmunds appears in a few cuts, most memorably providing rhythm guitar and backing vocals to "Little Hitler." Doing production work for all these guys, Lowe had his pick of a cadre of gifted rockers.

The results are engagingly messy and endlessly replayable. Though Lowe would go on to release more sonically and thematically consistent discs (the currently out-of-print Rockpile-driven Lust provides a good example), Cool's eclecticism provides much of the fun. Lowe and his studio chums were capable of tackling hard rock (both plodding and sped-up), rootsy rock-'n'-roll (the American "They Called It Rock"), sweetly harmonic pop croons ("Tonight," "No Reason"), surreal folk-pop (Jim Ford's decidedly strange "36 Inches High") and McCartney-esque cut-and-paste ("Nutted by Reality"). In an era characterized by excessive musical homogeneity, Lowe had produced the seventies equivalent to The Who Sell Out.

Even the Who's John Entwhistle, the darkest lyricist in that particular band, might've balked at "Marie Provost," though. Inspired by a chapter in Kenneth Anger's notorious catalog of movieland scandals, Hollywood Babylon, the jaunty track retells the story of a faded silent movie actress whose overdosed corpse became food for her "hungry little dachshund." With its chiming guitar and energetic Steve Goulding drumwork, the song features Lowe at both his most lyrically sardonic and chirpily tuneful - a masterful piece of impure pop.

Which pretty much characterizes all of Cool. The sound is honest and respectful, filled with sly musical quotes, but the lyrics are something else again. Whether sweetly singing about the sound of breaking glass or the castration of Fidel Castro, Lowe refused to spoil things by cracking up at his own jokes. If the results were occasionally too twisted for mainstream '70s radio, subsequent generations of alt-poppers were clearly paying attention.

Most of the bonus tracks - with the possible exception of a Brinsley Schwartz-recorded soul-inflected demo of "Cruel to Be Kind" - will likely be familiar to Brit pop aficionados. (They all appear on the Demon Records import CD, The Wilderness Years.) But with the possible exception of the acoustic "Endless Sleep," a precursor to the slower, more contemplative Lowe sound of recent years, they all maintain the same cheeky crispiness. I'm particularly fond of the Duane Eddy-styled instrumental "Shake That Rat," the proto-feminist cover "Born A Woman" (take that, PC rock critic!) and Bobby Fuller tribute "I Don't Want the Night to End." But, really, it's all great.

"They always ask for lots of songs/Of no more than two-fifty long/So I write some," Lowe sings in his amusing paean to Stiff Records, "I Love My Label." Back then, no one wrote 'em better.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nicklowe.net/index.php?forma ... le_id=4998

World Cafe Tribute to Nick Lowe on February 19

With the reissue of Nick Lowe's Jesus Of Cool, David Dye and World Cafe will pay tribute to Lowe's long-standing career with an hour long tribute to Lowe's music. Lowe has visited World Cafe numerous times over the years and during this hour Dye will feature songs from the reissued Jesus Of Cool, live performances and interviews from the World Cafe archives and conversation from Lowe in which he talks about everything from his early days at Stiff Records, his musical influences over the years to his current critically acclaimed release At My Age. World Cafe, distributed by NPR, is heard on 195 public radio stations around the country and at http://www.worldcafe.npr.org. The broadcast will be on February 19th.

National Public Radio's World Cafe with host David Dye can be heard on nearly 200 stations nationwide. Fans can find their local station by scrolling to the bottom & choosing their state under "Find a Program Broadcast Time" at the first link below.

…or worldwide they can listen online to the WXPN/Philadelphia stream Monday through Friday, 2pm to 4pm Eastern Standard Time

See also

http://www.myspace.com/jesusofcoolsresurrection
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Blaine Schultz posts to a Lowe list -

..........here is a review I wrote for a Milwaukee weekly -

Nick Lowe – Jesus of Cool: 30th Anniversary Edition
(Yep Roc)

(Release date February 19)

Is there another album that gives an impression of such pop offhandedness yet holds up three decades later as a work of brilliance? Nothing comes to mind.

For most listeners Nick Lowe came across the radar via his 1979 hit “Cruel to Be Kind” and Rockpile, the band he co-fronted with Dave Edmunds. But before that he was the primary songwriter/singer/ bassist for Brinsley Schwarz, reigning champions of the England’s rootsy Pub Rock scene. It’s a safe bet that over the course of the Brinsleys half dozen albums Lowe learned a thing or two about making records. So when his buddies Jake Riviera and Dave Robinson started Stiff Records they gave Nick the nod as house producer.

Mainly recorded on an 8 track machine with a revolving crew of pals from the local scene, Jesus of Cool was released in England in 1978 on Radar records, but a number of the tunes preceded it as 7”singles, with “Heart of the City/So It Goes” being the inaugural Stiff release. Meanwhile, the uptight suits at Columbia Records on these shores revamped the album slightly and politically corrected the title to “Pure Pop For Now People”. The amazing Yep Roc reissue collects all tracks from both version plus a handful of bonus cuts.

From the opening notes of “Music For Money” (sarcasm aimed at the music biz was a recurring theme in Lowe’s early solo work but a cool million earned from the My Bodyguard soundtrack might have softened him a bit) the analog warmth of the original recordings flaunts itself. Released at the height of punk rock and new wave it is interesting in hindsight how much of Lowe’s material is indebted to ‘50s and ‘60s music. The acoustic guitars and backing vocal oohs and ahhs of “Little Hitler” “Tonight” and “Marie Provost” recall the Everly Brothers and Phil Spector’s hits, in fact to dub Lowe’s productions as Spector-on-a- budget wouldn’t be off the mark. “No Reason” takes it’s drums and keyboard blueprint from vintage ska recordings and moves the usually upbeat sound into darker territory. There is often an odd lyrical twist or sound in Lowe’s tunes that keeps the listener’s ear open for what’s next. The sonic brilliance of “So It Goes” is ample evidence that Lowe didn’t
need state-of-the- art facilities to craft a magnificent throw-away tune.

Perhaps as a statement on the dour singer-songwriters and high concept groups of the day, Lowe takes the approach that anything of the slightest interest could be song fodder. “Rollers Show” is a parody of the Bay City Rollers (a Scottish teen-heartthrob band), Lowe recorded under the nom-du-rock the Tartan Horde. Meant initially as a ploy to get Lowe out his contract with United Artist the record was so convincing it actually became a hit in Japan -- and Lowe’s melodic bass line here is as good as anything Paul McCartney ever laid down on tape. “Marie Provost” puts a peppy spin on the tale of a dachshund-owning silent film actress who’s career tanks and she commits suicide. As Lowe puts it “she was a winner, who became the doggy’s dinner”. The major key, bopping tune allows no deference to the lyrics. (This tune, along with the surf instrumental “Shake That Rat” originally appeared on an ep Lowe title Bowi, a witty volley back at David Bowie who’s album Low had
come out around the same time.)
When Lowe covers another artist’s tune he does so with panache. “36 Inches High”, written by the equally great and elusive American Jim Ford sounds like a fever dream, hallucinating in and out of focus. Sandy Posey’s hit “Born A Woman” could be a tongue in cheek commentary on Women’s Lib or just a plain great Nashville-pop near-hit and Goffin/King’s “Halfway to Paradise” may be simply genuflection to a Brill Building classic.

The near a capella “Endless Sleep” opens with a striking match and adds just a touch of tremelo’d guitar and drum. And it’s a real creepy alone-in-the- studio at 3 a.m. snapshot. While song arrangements throughout are imaginative architecture, to spin Lowe’s work as all studio trickery would be to negate Rockpile’s status as a high energy bar-band for the ages (after all they were Keith Richard’s choice to jam with when he was paroled in 1978). A live version of “Heart of the City” spotlights Rockpile as fast and tight as any punk combo of the day. (Rockpile would ultimately release a single band album and many others under the guise of Lowe or Edmunds solo works or backing Lowe’s wife Carlene Carter, Mickey Jupp.)

One of the bonus tracks is the original Brinsley’s version of “Cruel To Be Kind”, but somewhere in the vaults is a one and a half minute gem called “Truth Drug”. Word is that Lowe’s entire catalog will finally be getting the re-issue treatment, so here’s hoping that baby sees the light of day. Thirty years later Lowe is still releasing overlooked prize albums and playing sold-out shows at venues like Shank Hall. So it goes, indeed.

Blaine Schultz
MKE/WI 02/2008
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

normally, I just delete these ticketmaster mailings, but today I peeked and good lord, Nick Lowe in Atlanta on 4/22!!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E00404DB4447F02

Josie's birthday and a Tuesday night, so not very good for me but very good for Atlanta. Maybe a Nashville show????
migdd

Post by migdd »

mood swung wrote:normally, I just delete these ticketmaster mailings, but today I peeked and good lord, Nick Lowe in Atlanta on 4/22!!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E00404DB4447F02

Josie's birthday and a Tuesday night, so not very good for me but very good for Atlanta. Maybe a Nashville show????
Darn, I'd like to go to this but we will be in Atlanta the following Monday for EC and the Imps! Looks like Nick will be touring with Robyn Hitchcock according to Ticketmaster. Maybe there will be more dates.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Looks like he is coming to Nashville and several other cities in April.
Check it out! http://www.nicklowe.net/tourdates.php
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Thanks for that, ET. Nashville or Charlottesville? That is the question.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/nick_lowe/reviews/11065

Uncut, March '08

Almost 30 years ago as I write, I was, memorably, in Finland with Nick Lowe, sitting in a bar somewhere inside the Arctic Circle, knocking back lethal local vodka cocktails that went down, I remember, like fireballs.

Back home, Nick’s first solo album, Jesus Of Cool, is due out imminently, which explains circuitously why Nick is, of all places, here. The album, by now, has been so hyped he’s fretful its eventual release will provoke only disappointment and he doesn’t want to be around when what he’s somehow convinced himself will be bad reviews start rolling in. This typical diffidence, evidence perhaps of a longstanding uncertainty about the merit of his talent, was wholly curious.

At the time, after all, he’s close to some of the very best things happening in British music. As, for instance, the house producer at Stiff, he’s given the label a signature sound – perhaps most vividly represented by his own “So It Goes” and the early Elvis Costello B-side, “Radio Sweetheart”, both terrific examples of a wry pop classicism.

What Nick lacked back then in budget and equipment, he makes up for in wit, ingenuity and a brilliant knack of simply ‘making do’. His studio of choice at the time was Pathway, in Islington, which was small, cheap and groovy and where he worked quickly, effectively and cleverly, perfecting many of the production techniques he would bring peerlessly to bear on his own subsequent solo records and the albums he produced for Elvis, which remain Costello’s most valuable work.

Jesus Of Cool was intended to showcase Nick as a pop chameleon, adapting and discarding musical personalities from track to track. Hence Chris Gabrin’s cover shots of Nick as, variously, be-denimed troubadour, leather-clad rocker and beaming hippie. Musically, the album traversed, often brilliantly, sundry territories – clanging rock (the cynical “Music For Money”, “Shake And Pop”), McCartneyesque collage (“Nutted By Reality”), lush ballads (“Little Hitler”, “Tonight”), spooky reggae (“No Reason”), neurotic pop (“I Love The Sound Of Broken Glass”) and blackly comic narratives (“Marie Provost”).

This admirable anniversary issue, much recommended, also collects a variety of Stiff A and B-sides, the original version of “Cruel To Be Kind” and Nick’s hilarious Bay City Rollers tribute, “Rollers Show”, a big hit in Japan.

ALLAN JONES

UNCUT Q&A: NICK LOWE

UNCUT: In the US, this was released as Pure Pop For Now People. Why?

NICK LOWE: It’s ludicrous - they put out records called 'Fuck The Police' but they thought “Jesus of Cool” would offend people. The alternative title was a Stiff slogan.

How did you record the album?

I was living in the studio producing other people for Stiff and when I had an idea, we recorded it with whoever was around.

One of the bonus tracks is “I Love My Label” Did Stiff feel like a family?

That song was tongue-in-cheek but I think there was a family feel. We were mischief-makers. For a glorious time, the monkeys were running the zoo.

How do you think the record sounds today?

It's like watching a home movie from 30 years ago. You cringe at the daft behaviour but you also think “we sure knew how to have fun back then”.

INTERVIEW: NIGEL WILLIAMSON
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

We sure did.

Thanks, JF.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just ordered the vinyl through Yeproc.