The Politics of Politics: The Ride of a Lifetime

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Re: The Politics of Politics: The Ride of a Lifetime

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I voted this afternoon - no lines. Straight pinko ticket for me - Obama, John Kerry and Barney Frank. I also voted for decriminalizing possession of less than an oz of weed.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Canceling out a vote is important too, LTZ. A lot of that may be happening this evening. Don't be ashamed of that.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I've got to mention that I also pretty much voted Democratic party across the board but had to vote Republican in one instance - County Coroner. The incumbant Democrat was caught selling prescription drugs online but hired a high-powered attorney, was eventually acquitted of all charges (despite testimony from a number of "buyers") and was able to keep his job. I voted for his Republican opponent.

Only in South Carolina.

Makes you wonder though . . . why does a county coroner need to be affiliated with a political party?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Don't get me started on county coroners. The witch who did my brother's death investigation is a complete idiot and has messed up so many people's files over the years. There are so many people she has screwed over. I would hope that a farm donkey would win over her this term.

But that could be the messed up hormones talking. . . . . . .nah. 8)
migdd

Post by migdd »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Canceling out a vote is important too, LTZ. A lot of that may be happening this evening. Don't be ashamed of that.
Absolutely true. When you think about it, almost all votes serve to simply negate the dunderhead who voted in the other direction. It's the nature of the democatic process! :)
migdd

Post by migdd »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Don't get me started on county coroners. The witch who did my brother's death investigation is a complete idiot and has messed up so many people's files over the years. There are so many people she has screwed over. I would hope that a farm donkey would win over her this term.

But that could be the messed up hormones talking. . . . . . .nah. 8)
I'm with you, spooks. Is there something about working with the dead that . . . oh, never mind! :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Wow! That's it - no staying up all night or anything!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

So so proud of what we did tonight. Congratulations President Obama! I've never been more invested in an election. In tears.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

OH NO! SOMEONE WHO WILL NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS AND INCREASE ABORTIONS WILL BE PRESIDENT

HAAHHAHAHAHAHHA
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Oh, hubby. Getting cocky and overly excited. It's adorable :)

I'm far away from home tonight, in Vegas, and am damn near tears. Shed a few earlier during the two speeches (McCain's was great).

Still waiting for/anxious about Indiana. I want it to go blue!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

TAKE THAT MR. A. AN INSPIRING FIGURE WINS THE PRESIDENCY!!!!!!!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

he is adorable. he has always been adorable. bluechair, not obama. obama is prez.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Very adorable. After having a few beers and being surrounded by a crowd of pro-Obama Canadians in our basement glued to the TV for a few hours, he goes from being all level-headed and tempered in his posts ("I'm a Canadian, so..."), to being a CAPSLOCKED ASSHOLE WHO NEEDS TO MAKE HIS POINT STRONG, AND ENDS HIS POSTS WITH "HAHAHAHAHHAHAA" because his guy won. Oh, Blue... I can't wait for a hug Thursday.

But, of course, I'm feeling it too. I'm feeling proud of my country for the first time in a while (or should I say, HAHAHAHA MR A TAKE THAT!), and very glad to have voted in this historic election. I'm feeling like so many things have the potential to go right right now, and that makes me very happy. In my very humble opinion, things are starting to go in the right direction.

Edited b/c I too have had a few too many to drink and can't form a complete sentence...
migdd

Post by migdd »

I've never been prouder to be . . . dare I say it . . . an American. Maybe that won't be such a dubious honor for awhile now.

I'm truly awed and amazed.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Fantastic news. Very happy for you all. Hope this turns out to fulfil the promise so clearly shown, both domestically and on the international stage. Haven't been this excited by an election since Blair ousted the Tories after 18 years. Sadly the intense euphoria faded once he took office, but I hope this new dawn will be much slower to fade.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just 'cause he's blaaaaaaack.... :D

Come on up for the risin' naaa na nananana naaa...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

A historic moment I am thankful I got to see. I teach high school and almost all of my students are African Americans. Today I charged them with not only celebrating, but understanding their generation's responsibility to see that this moment is not an aberration and to make the President elect proud of them in their serious devotion to improving their communities. All the world is watching, waiting to see the effects.

Obama is a post-boomer. Cold War politics are gone and done. Good riddance. So are the fall back excuses that some of my kids use: there no longer is a 'man' holding them down. Ceilings have been erased and hopes are high for a much brighter future than the last several years.

Easy? Nope. Necessary? Absolutely.

I feel great today. I have no doubt that Obama will make mistakes as president; I can't think of one who hasn't. Still, as I stood in the rain at an Obama rally downtown last night, I was struck by the unity of the crowd- black, white, Hispanics in equal numbers. Obama is a unifier and although I'm old enough to know that the post-election euphoria will wear off, I want to remember this as a night that the country I love came together and spoke with an authoritative voice.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I'm so excited that I was here for this moment. This is something I can tell my grandkids about. And I got some sleep, too!
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

way to go, america!

I was sweating this, I admit. It's not so blue down here. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

mood swung wrote:I was sweating this, I admit. It's not so blue down here. :lol:
Tell me about it, moody. . . . .
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice post, Pophead. There was a fair amount of euphoria in my workplace too (our MD was up all night and was radiant with happiness... she grew up in S Africa under Apartheid, so I can imagine how moving this must be for her). I hope some that of unifying presence lasts and leads to some fundamental differences - ones that mean Strict Time can indeed tell her grandkids she remembers the day...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Nice post, Pophead. There was a fair amount of euphoria in my workplace too (our MD was up all night and was radiant with happiness... she grew up in S Africa under Apartheid, so I can imagine how moving this must be for her). I hope some that of unifying presence lasts and leads to some fundamental differences - ones that mean Strict Time can indeed tell her grandkids she remembers the day...
We popped a bottle of champagne after Ohio was called. Then I called my mom and sister. They were both ecstatic. My brother, who worked as an aide to Christopher Shays, a Republican congressman from Connecticut, is now out of a job. I feel bad for him, but I am sure he will find a new gig. Shays was the last remaining GOP congressman in CT. Now it is completely blue. In fact, there are only three GOP congressmen left in the entire state of New York, out of 29 districts.

What am amazing, historic night. I still can't believe it has happened. Now the hard work begins.

Great concession speech by McCain as well. That's the guy I remember. Where has he been hiding?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

A new chapter begins.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

A great result and hopefully one that will put the heart back into American politics and diplomacy. My only fear now is that the lunatics are lining up to take a shot at him.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Last night, Pepperland went bluuuuuuuuuuuuuue.

Thank God Almighty!!

Time for President Obama to do his best FDR...we sure need it. This next decade will be so critical as far as the environment and energy. So inspired to see the global community taking part in the joy and the hope.

Watching Grant Park last night...my eyes started welling up as soon as the pa announcer said "Ladies & Gentlemen..."

It's a beautiful day.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.