The Politics of Politics: The Ride of a Lifetime

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Re: The Politics of Politics: The Ride of a Lifetime

Post by BlueChair »

It seems like a lot of conservatives take issue with John McCain. Apparently both Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter consider Clinton the lesser evil, and I had never heard this story from McCain's 2000 campaign:

Dirty Tricks, South Carolina and John McCain
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080128/banks

by Ann Banks

Eight years ago this month, John McCain took the New Hampshire primary and was favored to win in South Carolina. Had he succeeded, he would likely have thwarted the presidential aspirations of George W. Bush and become the Republican nominee. But Bush strategist Karl Rove came to the rescue with a vicious smear tactic.

Rove invented a uniquely injurious fiction for his operatives to circulate via a phony poll. Voters were asked, "Would you be more or less likely to vote for John McCain...if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?" This was no random slur. McCain was at the time campaigning with his dark-skinned daughter, Bridget, adopted from Bangladesh.

It worked. Owing largely to the Rove-orchestrated whispering campaign, Bush prevailed in South Carolina and secured the Republican nomination. The rest is history--specifically the tragic and blighted history of our young century. It worked in another way as well. Too shaken to defend himself, McCain emerged from the bruising episode less maverick reformer and more Manchurian candidate.

The former crusader against the Republican establishment has since turned into a Bush-hugging, business-as-usual politician who has backed down from many positions that set him apart from conventional conservatives. Before, McCain supported the separation of church and state; now he wants a Christian in the White House. The confederate flag, which he once considered an offensive symbol, no longer troubles him. And he has come to believe that tax cuts are a good idea.

I don't want to say that McCain sold his soul to the devil, since I believe that religious metaphors have no place in politics. But consider this: shortly after losing the 2000 election, McCain told an interviewer that there must be "a special place in hell" reserved for the rumormongers.

Seven years later, who is running McCain's South Carolina campaign? Charlie Condon, the former State Attorney General who in 2000 helped spread the innuendo targeting Bridget. If you can't beat them, hire them--even if they've launched racist attacks against your own daughter.

Bridget McCain was a seriously ill baby in Mother Teresa's orphanage when Cindy McCain visited and decided to bring her back to the United States for medical treatment in 1991. John and Cindy adopted her not long after. Now 16, Bridget learned of her role in the 2000 campaign only when she Googled herself. According to the New York Times, when McCain entered the current race, Bridget summoned his aides and asked them to pledge that this campaign would be different.

We can't know what reassurances were offered, but Condon doesn't seem to have repented for his role in the 2000 slander. He told the New York Times reporter that he wasn't surprised about the downward spiral of the Bush-McCain race. "Our primaries have a way of doing that," Condon said. "There is a tradition of it, it is accepted behavior, and frankly it works."

John McCain is now favored to win in South Carolina. The personal attacks of the 2000 election season, he recently told an interviewer, were "long ago and far away." "I had to get over it.... I don't ever think about them or dwell on them." Cindy McCain agrees. "We're past that. We've moved on."

The McCains may have moved on, but I haven't. Bush made a decisive step toward the White House by spreading lies about an 8-year-old child. (Not to mention a couple of decorated war veterans.) These vile tactics are not OK. If something similar were to happen in a high school election, those responsible would be suspended and black marks would be entered on their permanent records. But in politics, it seems, there's no such thing as a permanent record. Consequences do not exist--however blatant the misconduct.

It's time we changed that. In the 2008 election, voters need to send a message that attention is being paid--that this time liars and cheats will be defeated, not given a free hall pass.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

May be the most apathetic election in decades. Started so early that many are already tired of all the crap. Three remaining all continue to gaf equally. I genuinely wonder what the turnout will be.

Hillary didn't drop, and she knows exactly what she is doing. As long as there is time between the DNC convention and today, Obama may just step in enough piles of crap that she yanks all the superdelegates and performs a political coup. If anyone has it in them, it is my friend Hillary.

My second child and daughter was not planned. So just last week, my "punishment' turned sweet 16. With punishment like my Allison, then please..."hit me with your rhythm stick, hit me hit me hit me!"

Punishment.

Go Obama
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Americans love change. They'll always bitch about it later, but they love change. Or at least perceived change. Obama will win. McCain won't go over well in the general debates. Most states are registering record numbers of new voters. New voters = votes for Obama.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Anyone check out Obama's recent remarks in San Fran?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMkQ6OPi3RU

More than a little condescending I'd say, even though I don't disagree with what he is saying
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Obama's ship is taking on a lot of water.

Hillary may be smiling, but even IF she eeks out the nomination, she is completely phoney and unelectable.

Sticking by my earlier prediction, McCain is our next president.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

God bless Barack Obama.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

LTZ!!!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

My God in heaven, does anyone frequenting this forum actually listen to Keith Olbermann. This guys is incredible. And I stress: In -Credibible. While even I will admit that O'Reilly is a horses ass and Hannity has lost any credibility that he may have once held, Olbermann is not a newscaster in any sense of the word. He is genuinely using his pseudo-intellect to editorialize news. He is worse than any mentioned above, and makes Bill Maher looks like a conservative. He is positioning for a democratic cabinet position, and he will get the offer as Press Secretary. He wins, you are dupped. What a poseur. What and asshole. So Transparent.

MSNBC should be ashamed to consider him a newscaster. Even among my ultra-liberal work associates (I work in Californification) he is considered a horses ass. To use his stump to so vehemently decide that the war in Iraq has no merit and is only about oil and death is genuinely cowardly , uninformed, and frankly sick. Okay, I guess many of you agree. My kids and people who actually read the evicence-base think differently. I was recently in Canada and they felt secure that the Islamic fundamentalists have a plan to single out the conservatives in America and kill them, systematically. But the were comforted that they would not be seen as western capitalist pigs because they are canadian and, upon inquiry, the terrorists woudl say, "Okay, you can go because you are Canadian and you are alright. Your head can remain on your head." My God what ignorance of our former friends whom we have protected north of the border. How can you look in the mirror and think that you are somehow absolved. Put a designer scarf around your neck, because the fact that you bash Bush with little understanding and no kids ( yes, I said no kids: it wll change everything and your ideology will radically shift when you hold that life in your hands and pledge to do whatever it takes to protect them) does not absolve you. You are white, nonislamic and western. get in line and say your prayers. Your life if over.

God bless the families and loved ones of soldiers that he hurts daily with is editorial rhetoric. When he called a great in-the-house-home run as a sportscaster, he was brilliant. But in his feeble attempt to be credible as a newsman he has made a horses ass out of himself that has no peer.

This guy is a sick man. Sick. I hope he continues to speak for the liberals. He makes Hannity and O'Reilly look tepid and truly fair and balanced. Are any of you smitten by his bullshit? What an asshole. He is a sick man. Because he is ultra liberal? Hell no. Because he is so transparent as a little man who is catering to what he thinks will win him popularity. What a wimp.

After three days of damaging our country with his rhetoric, I hope he gets run off the air soon. the liberal contingent on this board should be embarrassed by his commentary. I hope he stays on because he alone can assure a landslide victory of the conservatives.

What a dick.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I like Keith.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Keeeeeeeeff!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Londoners deserve what they've got coming.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I like Keith.
Sadly, I would have guessed. How sad that a smart guy like you cannot see through him. He is a liar, and you like him.

Increbible. I hope you give your kids a chance, as I have, to think more openly by exposing them to oppossing views i d that with my kids. I don't agree with my daughters politics, but she is INFORMED on both sides.

I would genuinely be embarrased to admit that the sportscaster is a genuine lambaster of the cammander in chief. Wow, wonder who richard simmons is supporting. Same difference.

How shallow
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:I like Keith.
Sadly, I would have guessed. How sad that a smart guy like you cannot see through him. He is a liar, and you like him.

Increbible. I hope you give your kids a chance, as I have, to think more openly by exposing them to oppossing views i d that with my kids. I don't agree with my daughters politics, but she is INFORMED on both sides.

I would genuinely be embarrased to admit that the sportscaster is a genuine lambaster of the cammander in chief. Wow, wonder who richard simmons is supporting. Same difference.

How shallow
The mainstream media finally has a liberal big-mouth to counter the hordes of right-wing big-mouths. That's what you can't stand. There are certain things I try to shield my kids from - political views ain't one of them.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Hillary is starting to seem a little ill.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

She's hitting the sauce pretty hard. She likes Early Times Whiskey (though made in Kentucky, technically not bourbon).
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Hillary is starting to seem a little ill
and you mean that in a good way.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ill
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

She looks happy enough to me...

Why does she have this demonic look in half the photos I see of her?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhU9a8-ZpvI[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhU9a8-ZpvI

I can't find anything wrong with what this guy is saying...MR Avg., what's up with the hate?

I couldn't afford to see Elvis in Grand Rapids, and I couldn't get up to GRand Rapids in time to see Senator Obama...

I hate Grand Rapids.

Yes there really is a Kalamazoo!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average is somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun. No sense in arguing politics with him.

Keith is the man. Anyone seen this video of TV conservative blowhard Bill O'Reilly, back from his days on Inside Edition? I can't stop watching it! Colbert did a great bit on it earlier this week.

The Dance Mix may be even better...

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Bill Maher is a political commentator on the far left. Dennis Miller is a political commentator on the far right. Keith Olberman purports to be a NEWS Anchor, right? Or wrong? I think I am right. He purposrts to be a news man and he is a satirist and a commentator. A former sportscaster gone nutty advancing a political agenda. He has no counterpoint, such as Allan Colmes, to give an alternate view. He IS the equivalent of Bil O'Reilly, Shawn Hannity. Recall that I added at least one of these two names to the annoying people list.

If he is a news anchor, he has no right nor business injecting his personal vitriolic hate for the President of the United States, the Cabinet, the Military leadership, etc.

My comments were not about my politics. You have no idea what my actual politics are. What I comment on is when someone masquerades as a news person to advance a politic agenda. Like Bill O'Reilly. Like Shawn Hannity. Wait, they are far-right, so ipso facto, I must have pin-up posters of them on my wall.

The shallowness of some of the commentary here is amazing. READ THE POSTS. So typical to gloss over and decide what witty comments one will make to provide entertainment. READ THE POSTS.

Then Think, and don't say such ignorant things such as my politics are right of Atilla the Hun. Simply ignorant.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'll agree to do that if you'll stop telling people on here how to raise their kids. OK?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I am voting for Obama. I've wanted him to run for President for around 5 years now; I've read both of his books. In my view, he has a great shot at being a great President, if he's elected.

Barely anyone I meet agrees with me. They all scrunch up their faces, and say scary things that someone told them, like "What do we REALLY know about Barack Obama?", and they cite his lack of experience, like that's a BAD thing.

I must be insane.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Lack of experience in this, the highest office in the land, IS a bad thing, I think. There is a fairy tale side to it...that untainted by the politics of politics, the naivete' associated with no experience will somehow lead to magical results. Doesn't work, and he will be eaten alive. I have hired over 100 people in my 30 year career, and experience is very, very important for senior level positions. Euphemistic slogans and dreams of change are great things to pepper an interview with, but when the bombs are flying and the shit hits the fan, watch a person who has been there before.

Regardless, he is unelectable to the Presidency. When people put their hand on the switch, this country is still too racially divided and the exit polls will mean nothing. Hillary is the only hope for the Dem's,and if the DNC throw's support to her, they will compromise the black vote for the next 28 years. So they are trapped: Obama will win the nomination, but unless Hillary accepts the VEEP seat (probably off the table after her assassination remark) he will be edged by McCain in November. Four More Years!

As much as I loathe the person called Hillary, her experience would force me to pull the switch in her favor over Obama, if indeed I had a gun to my head and had to vote for either. The ONLY thing that McCain has is experience, and while I admire his ability to work under pressure, I don't like many of his political views.

Obama seems like a nice intelligent guy who is a natural born leader, a great orator, and a smooth operator, all prerequisites for being good at the US Presidency (evidence GWBush, who is probably a nice guy but can't speak and had little experience).

Obama is not ready to lead our nation to any real new place. evidence his numerous gaffs that mount with fatigue. of Course the softball is to compare his gaffs to GW's and there has never been a more comically incompetant orator than GW, and that includes Jimmy the Peanut Farmer, who by comparison, was brilliant from the podium.

Attilla the Hun's School Teacher, Sister Mary Alphonsus.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

There is a difference in "hoping" that kids get a fair chance and telling a parent how to raise them. I can't imagine how my hope for your kids, and ALL of the children born to this earth, have the ability to be exposed to all sides, so that their minds can wrap around their own sense of right and wrong, and not merely represent a socialized template upon which we lay down our predispositions, prejudices, etc. My son and daughter are given more articles to read by Obama and Hilalry than by any GOP leader, as my poiltics are well understood by them.

That is my PRACTICE, not my Dr. Spock moment. I hope that your kids, and all kids, get a fair shot at making decisions about life and death, heaven and hell, love and hate, war and peace. The only way we make it to the next level is through the kids. They are the life blood of the world. I love 'em and give my prayers of hope in honour of them. All kids, including yours. They all need the help of the almighty, in my opinion, to lead us someday to a better place.