R.I.P. Ingmar Bergman

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mechanical Grace

R.I.P. Ingmar Bergman

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Wow. Passing of a giant. :cry:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sad news. Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, Cries and Whispers, Fanny and Alexander, the list goes on...

:( :(
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The beauty of a filmmaker like Bergman is that even those of us who haven't seen much of his work can still feel his influence through the likes of Robert Altman and Woody Allen's more dramatic work. A prolific auteur up until the end.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Dang. I hate these days where more than one famous soul passes on.

RIP
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

there was a BBC4 docu about him just the other day, showing the little island he lived on. Seemed like a very genuine man. Married 5 times, etc. I watched loads of his stuff in Madrid way back when. I have him to thank for my love of Bach's Cello Suites, with one slow movement from no, 5, I think, featuring heavily in Cries and Whispers, if ageing memory serves. Would love to watch F and A again. A visual feast.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/movie ... ei=5087%0A

August 12, 2007

The Man Who Asked Hard Questions
By WOODY ALLEN

I GOT the news in Oviedo, a lovely little town in the north of Spain where I am shooting a movie, that Bergman had died. A phone message from a mutual friend was relayed to me on the set. Bergman once told me he didn’t want to die on a sunny day, and not having been there, I can only hope he got the flat weather all directors thrive on.

I’ve said it before to people who have a romanticized view of the artist and hold creation sacred: In the end, your art doesn’t save you. No matter what sublime works you fabricate (and Bergman gave us a menu of amazing movie masterpieces) they don’t shield you from the fateful knocking at the door that interrupted the knight and his friends at the end of “The Seventh Seal.â€