Happy Pappys

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Happy Pappys

Post by mood swung »

Happy Father's Day to all you Rad Dads out there.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Word. Where would we be without fantastic dads? Enjoy your kids, and enjoy your day! :)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

We're hanging out on the back porch with our friend Ben, who is up from the city for the day. Kids running around in the yard. Ribs and chicken from the local BBQ joint for dinner tonight!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Just got off of an hour long conversation with my dad, and am heading to Blue's parent's place for a big Father's Day BBQ.

Happy Father's Day, all!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Breakfast in bed. Off to the beach, despite on/off sun. Dropped my camera in the sea taking photos of my 4 boys (three of mine creating, the other sired by two pedigree Labradors), didn't realise I'd dropped it for a few mins. No sign. Damn. Went and had a fabulous meal (halibut, yum) in a very nice gastro-pub we'd loved on our first visit there two years ago. Turned out to be an expensive day! Actually, I got nearly anxious when a weird tidal thing happened and we nearly got cut off on a sandflat as the water between that and the beach filled up quickly. Dog had his first ever swimming lesson and went straight to advanced class. Fortunately the water wasn't as deep as it first appeared it was going to be. It made me feel 'a camera is just a replaceable object, but kids are everything, the dog too' so it was nice to have that sentiment in my head on such a day. Sad thing is the bunch of photos including son's pizza-making birthday party on the camera. The two cards I got with the camera in Sept '04 have now gone - one lost at the Hammersmith Apollo on the memorable night of EC's gig, and one gone to a watery grave. Shame.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Padres

Post by Mr. Average »

Spent yesterday at Ameoba Music in Hollywood...wow, what a store. Told my kids that to be able to go to Ameoba and browse for 4 hours ( I could lose a day in the Jazz section alone!) and pick up a few would be the best Fathers Day gift, and we made a day out of it. After, ate at Mel's Diner (where the diner scenes for American Graffiti were shot) and that was fun...not for the food but for the memorabilia and great photographs of George Lucas, Richard Dry-Face, and the hero of the lot, Opie Taylor (aka Ron Howard). The food at Mel's is like the food at Hooters...not the primary reason to go.

Recently attended the addition of Forrest Whitakers Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in front of the Kodak Theatre, so we went to see how it weathered the last 5 weeks or so...already cracked!

I think the number of good mothers, normailzed to the total number of offspring on the planet, far outweigh the number of good Dad's. But when the end draws near, I could care less if I was a corporate success or a great inventor or a good socialite to my friends and co-workers. If I am rated as a good father to my kids, then all the rest is fluff.

Happy Fathers Day to all the good Dad's out there. God Bless You.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Um... I gave my dad a book (which I will later borrow) and then he helped me finish the Saturday crossword. That is what we do. It is about the same amount of self-serving as when I gave my mom some nice cheese for Mother's Day, which she then invited me to eat with her (I accepted).
Otis Westinghouse

You could take it one stage further and read the book first, or even eat the cheese... My mother-in-law does this with books. She also opens presents when they arrive in the post, not on the day they should be opened, so there's no hope.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

But do you write on the package, "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL (DATE HERE)"?
Otis Westinghouse

Shouldn't really be needed for a woman who's 70 or so.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Shouldn't really be needed for a woman who's 70 or so.
I agree entirely. She should be able to open her present whenever she likes! 8)
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Mr. Average........my oldest son and I spent a couple hours at Amoeba yesterday. Could have spent a few more hours there! Drove by Mel's Drive-In on our way to Pizzeria Mozza for an incredible lunch. The Mel's parking lot is where guitarist Rod Poole was killed a few weeks ago. Very sad.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Love that store. Wish we had something like that around here.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick