Lily Allen

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Lily Allen

Post by BlueChair »

Perfect Pop or Poopy Pulp? Discuss.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

she's kind of Amy Winehouse-lite, isn't she? which is probably horribly unfair. I listened to her record a couple of times, and it didn't really wow me.

The whole myspace-bitch-at-your-critics thing gets on my tits. I live with enough myspace dramas at my house.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Yawn. Another 'personality' who seems a bit calculated. Of course, that's our El in his early days too. But EC had the stuff to back it up.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Not a fan. Seems like a self-centered little bitch.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Did you see her on 'Tavis Smiley' last night? (I don't know if the show is syndicated so it may be different in ohter parts of country.) I heard her a few weeks ago on NPR with David Dye. She looks like the girl-next-door, but she actually is the opposite.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Did you see her on 'Tavis Smiley' last night? (I don't know if the show is syndicated so it may be different in other parts of country.) I heard her a few weeks ago on NPR with David Dye. She looks like the girl-next-door, but she actually is the opposite.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice LP. Refreshingly individualistic and not created by a TV show or as someone's puppet. OK, her dad's well-known, but that's not the real reason she's become famous. Don't know where your slander comes from, WSS! I think Like Amy she likes to piss it up a bit, but who cares. She sings nicely, and I'd take this as the sort of bubblegum pop with imaginative touches filling up the chart over almost everyone else new in this category. Very contemporary England. More lightweight than Ms Winehouse in every respect, and I'd listen to Amy sooner any day, but that don't stop her being worth the while.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Don't know where your slander comes from, WSS!
That "LDN" song sort of pisses me off, sorry. Fluffy pop about junkies and homeless people - how nice!
Otis Westinghouse

Like I said, very contemporary England ...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The only song I've heard is "Alfie" - it kind of reminds of Ian Dury in a weird way.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I hear she really likes her cell phone. . .and iPod. . .and Avril Lavigne CDs and. . .
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:OK, her dad's well-known, but that's not the real reason she's become famous.
Who's her dad?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Mr Allen
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Keith
signed with love and vicious kisses
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

.. we're playing for England, Eng-ur-land!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

That's New Order's brilliant World Cup song World In Motion, in case you needed help.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Let me give a different opinion.

I like a few guilty pleasures now and then. I like cheesy 60s pop like I do cheesy 80s pop, and every now and then some songs come around that are like that which I am complteely embarrassed I love. Your Woman, Love Fool, Hey Ya, Crazy.

Last year I heard a little buzz, so I checked out her website and listened to the samples, and I loevd it. LDN, Smile, Everything's Just Wonderful they had a little Lauryn Hill, April March, fun pop thing, a little 60s ish, reggaeish, a fuck you attitude, catchy tune, and that strong Brit accent. Maybe if she was from Houston like me, without the accent would she be so charming to me? Maybe not. Same thing with Art Brut. But I loved it, stole it from Oink, and when the album came out in the US, bought it. Personally I never get that caught up with people in the press, and her whole nutjob thing, and it doesn't matter to me that she wasn't a starving artist and had a rich dad. I think she has some talent, but loads of charm on the album.

Amy Winehouse - same thing. Saw some article about her in Mojo, stole it from Oink, and the first three songs nailed me. She has an authentic voice, tons of attitude, and I loev that something that has such a thick 60s R&B groove like Me & Mr Jones she says "fuckery" and "you dont mean dick to me". The album drags a bit but the last song also is great, a nice 70s soul vibe.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, not every album is Pte Sounds, sometimes a good pop song is all I need, and it doesn't matter who they are, or if there's only 4 good songs on the album. I have plenty of artists in my collection that changed my life, but sometimes I just want some great pop.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

ice nine wrote:She looks like the girl-next-door, but she actually is the opposite.
So why does this matter? Does it matter if an artist was born with a silver spoon in their mouth? In an alternate reality, please suspend your belief, but if Paris Hilton created something like Forever Changes, would you be able to accept it?
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
Otis Westinghouse

She went to posh private schools and was expelled from several of them. I agree, who cares?

Guilty pleasures is such a weird term. The guilt here is generally that promulgated by earnest, white music critic types for whom Bob Dylan is the summation of human existence, etc. Pet Sounds is an ironic reference in that it would generally feature in the autopilot best LPs of all time for such people, yet contains strong elements of the same kind of bubble gum pop as Lily Allen et al (Wouldn't It Be Nice, for example).
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

don't know yet. kind of charismatic and fun, but souless. was booked here, but cancelled.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Otis Westinghouse

Are you in the wrong thread?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i think so. sort of a betty boopish coy eye movement sashaying around dealy? i like her.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I think that's the answer to, "are you in the right thread?"

exactly the same discussion on the unofficial Fall website

http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/thefa ... opic=16487
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i was in the right place, but it musta been the wrong time...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

"load of old tosh" sounds about right :lol: :lol: