Vambo Rules...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Tim(e)

Vambo Rules...

Post by Tim(e) »

This is just something that puzzled me. I was walking home from the train station yesterday when I noticed a poster on an underpass advertising a show at a Sydney music venue (The Basement) on the 11th May featuring the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Now I know I am getting pretty old and that my memory is not what it used to be, and I have never been very good with dates, but I am positive that Alex Harvey died on stage at the age of 42 (?) from a heart attack in the late 70's/early 80's - his brother Leslie from Stone the Crows having had an untimely demise just a few years earlier when he was electrocuted while playing on stage in the rain (guitars, microphones and rain being an obvious recipe for disaster) - that is why I have such a clear recall of this... I thought at the time it was a great shame (not to mention, coincidence) to have two such talented performers who happened to be brothers, meet untimely deaths, on stage.

Having this band tour as the Sensational Alex Harvey Band is to me, akin to Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding finding a guitarist who could play all of the licks (say, Robin Trower or Frank Marino) and then touring under the banner of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. I don't know, maybe Alex has teamed up with Doris Stokes and they have some of her people on this side arranging for him to beam in his performance.

I still rate SAHB's performance at the very first Knebworth show in 1974 to be one of the best rock shows I have seen, so I am very tempted to go along just to see who is going to play his role - until his death, I had always considered him to be the person who should have replaced Bon Scott in AC/DC - he had so much more class than that former Geordie (the band - and possibly place of origin I suppose) vocalist they recruited.