New Nick Lowe album

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
sweetest punch

New Nick Lowe album

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.harpmagazine.com/news/detail ... icle=11021

Nick Lowe to Deliver New Album in June

What’s so funny about peace, love and Nick Lowe? Not a goddam thing; we could use a lot more of the first two, and as far as Lowe’s concerned, it’s been nearly six years since his last studio album so we’re way, way overdue for a new dose of Basher.

The wait’s almost over, though, because on June 26, Lowe drops Eat My Age (Yep Roc), effectively marking his 30th anniversary as a solo artist. (Technically speaking, his first record was issued in August of 1976: the “So It Goesâ€
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

at last!
:D :D :D :D
Like me, the "g" is silent.
migdd

Post by migdd »

The best news I've heard all week! :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

If you pre-order off Yep Roc, you get a bonus disc. But you can't pre-order yet. :roll:

http://www.yeproc.com/news.php?articleId=4033
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Sweet!! Thanks for the good news!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

[quote]Hope For Us Allâ€
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

This is good news but we really should start a petition to call it Eat my age; it's much better!!
And when are the early solo albums going to become available again on CD???
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Hooray! Hopefully this will lead to him stopping by here with his band on a tour.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

This made my week :D
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

be still, my heart.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pressrelease&o=915

April 10, 2007

Originals? Covers? They're All Of A Piece To Nick Lowe

As a songwriter and performer the details on Nick Lowe can get tricky. His best known original song "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," was a hit for Elvis Costello and covered by Curtis Stigers on the gazillion-selling 'Bodyguard' soundtrack. But his own recording, with his band Brinsley Schwarz, was but a farewell salvo from their final album.

Conversely, some of Lowe's most beloved songs from his own releases - tunes that many fans assume he wrote - are covers. Take "7 Nights To Rock" (Moon Mullican) or "Switchboard Susan" (Mickey Jupp).

Lowe delights in these ambiguities, never more than on his new album 'At My Age' (June 26/Yep Roc). Like most of his albums, it's a canny, seamless convergence of originals and covers.

Herewith, the first installment of a two-parter, where Nick discusses some of the new original songs on 'At My Age.' Stay tuned for a similar discussion of the album's covers in days to follow:

"LONG LIMBED GIRL" Sporting one of Lowe's most complex arrangements, this song finds him remembering an old flame. It commences with a Johnny Cash chug-a-lug, just organ and guitar, then gradually builds with a banjo creeping up in the bridge, followed by swirling piano runs, and spiraling horns. "This is sort of an old fashioned pop song," says Lowe. "The last few records I've done have been a bit like my diary set to music. I was feeling kind of blue and trying to describe some of what happens to everyone. It's a rite of passage, really, the breaking up of relationships."

"THE CLUB" Lowe recalls, "We wanted this one to sound like one of those classic English movies of the '50s and '60s where the young innocent girl falls in with the wrong crowd in London's Soho. A black and white movie, where she has a drink in a weird glass and suddenly everything starts spinning."

His lyrics follow suit.

If you've ever had nights tossing and turning/Like a cement mixer churning/On your own/In what used to be your happy home/Join the club

If you've ever come to and seen/ That you've been living a dream/One in which no one can hear you scream/Join the club

"THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN" I was approached to write a song for Solomon Burke, and I came up with this," explains Lowe, referring to Burke's acclaimed 2002 album 'Don't Give Up On Me.' "He did it his way, and I thought it was great. It's good when anyone does one of your songs, but I really like it best when they're not too reverential with it." Lowe's own version is slow, evocative, almost archetypal - a modern standard.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://online.wsj.com/google_login.html ... lenews_wsj

( extract)

Nick Lowe, Mr. Costello's producer on his early albums and an important musician in his own right, has a problem beyond poor sound quality. Some of his landmark discs aren't available on CD because they went out of print in the early 1990s. As a result, CD editions of cult favorites like 1979's "Labour of Lust" fetch high prices on eBay. Mr. Lowe's manager, Jake Guralnick, says the singer owns the rights to his recordings, and is in the process of lining them up for rerelease late this year or next year. The holdup, he says, came from waiting for distribution agreements in other parts of the world to expire so they could carry out the process in one fell swoop.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I don't know how the hell I slept through this thread - probably trying to help the daughter get ready for prom and graduation. This is great news!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Free download of a track from the new album: Hope For Us All
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Moody. . . . . . . .Moody, where are you?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

all over this! :lol:
hollyh

Post by hollyh »

I've been listening to this (review copy) and can say it's a gem, a charmer -- not a masterpiece, becuase that's too pompous a term for anything by the ineffable Mr Lowe -- but a thoroughly delicious piece of work nonetheless. The songs are witty (of course), self-effacing (duh), and sometimes even tender -- that is, when they're not being snarky. Chrissie Hynde sings great back-up on "People Change." Nick's voice sounds warm and weathered and absolutely marvelous.

It goes down a TREAT.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?b ... =1#more141

Allan Jones blogs -

Nick Lowe Acts His Age

2007-04-25 14:07:34

Call me speculative, but I don’t think John will be writing about Nick Lowe’s new album, At My Age, on his Wild Mercury Sound blog. It doesn’t, for a start, resemble the battle for Stalingrad reaching a furious climax, like the more deafening parts of the latest Queens Of The Stone Age record he’s been frightening me out of my wits with over the last week or so. I think therefore I might be permitted a few passing words on a particularly fine album without trespassing on John’s turf.

Continued...

As regular readers of Uncut may know from about a dozen separate Stop Me If You’ve Heard This One Before back page features, I was frequently in Nick’s company at a time when he was quite the man of the moment as one of the prime movers behind Stiff, where he was what you’d call house producer for a while. He also handled production duties on what remain Elvis Costello’s best albums, made some terrific solo albums and with Dave Edmunds fronted Rockpile, one of the greatest rock’n’roll bands ever.

A disinclination perhaps to work any harder than he had to, a suspicion of inflated rock star egos that led to him turning down a lot of production work he simply wouldn’t have enjoyed, a curious modesty about his own talents as a producer, songwriter and performer have all contributed over the years to his status as a cultish figure in English rock, much-loved but not as widely-known as he might have been if his ambition had been as great as his humour, charm and way with an anecdote.

I guess, also, that the unexpected windfall of a cheque for a million dollars that landed on his door mat when his great song “(What’s So Funny) ‘Bout Peace, Love And Understanding?â€
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Nick was a guest on BBC Radio2 this morning. He played one new song and had a v. self effacing chat with Mark Lamarr and Jo Brand:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ross/ ... l?focuswin

(scroll to the bottom of the page for 'listen again')
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

And Hank Marvin!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.charliegillett.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=4522

Garth posts -

Fri Jun 08, 2007

NICK LOWE @ ST LUKES, LONDON

Nick Lowe is something of a British treasure. Those of us who appreciate his value rush to his live appearances, these occurring only twice a decade or so. Tonight Nick has a new album At My Age (Proper) to promote and is being filmed by BBC4 – all this suggests a special gig.

Nick takes the stage looking very trim: grey slacks, white shirt, mop of white hair – a silver fox not unlike this website’s host. He’s playing acoustic, tossing off great songs like Soulful Wind, Heart, Shaking The Hill. Then the band join him – double bass, piano, guitar, drums. Without Love is the song and Florence says “it’s a long time since I’ve heard good English country music.â€
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

. . . especially with the recent responsibilities of late fatherhood
What? Nicks got little ones too??

So whats up with Nick? He mentions on his website that the new album is partly inspired by all the recent dramas in his life. ??

BTW- the website is updated and you can hear clips of ALL the tracks.