Squeeze reunion tour, reissues

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Squeeze reunion tour, reissues

Post by BlueChair »

From Billboard:

Squeeze Jumps On Reunion Tour Bandwagon

Chris Difford

March 09, 2007, 9:40 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
U.K. pop/rock combo Squeeze has jumped on the reunion tour bandwagon and will play U.K. shows under that name this fall for the first time since 1999. Group member Glenn Tilbrook made the announcement on his Web site, saying the dates come in conjunction with an extensive Squeeze re-release campaign of which he and member Chris Difford "are really proud."

Difford told Billboard.com last month Squeeze received offers to reunite "all the time," adding, "But it has to be emotionally, spiritually and financially the right thing, and when all those planets come into line, then we will be there. At the time being, I can't see it on the horizon, but I've been wrong before."

At deadline, it is unknown if any other former Squeeze members are on-board for the reunion dates, or if the tour will visit additional cities in Europe or North America.

Here are Squeeze's U.K. tour dates:

Nov. 27: Southampton (Guildhall)
Nov. 29: Glasgow (Carling Academy)
Nov. 30: Newcastle (City Hall)
Dec. 1: Wolverhampton (Civic Hall)
Dec. 3: Bristol (Colston Hall)
Dec. 4: London (Hammersmith Apollo)
Dec. 7: Manchester (Apollo)
Dec. 8: Liverpool (Philharmonic)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

The stars and planets must have been in alignment! I knew it would happen someday. Hope it goes well and they decide to tour the states as well. Who of our UK friends will be going to a show?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Would like to hear more about those re-issues. Long overdue.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

I hope they come to the US! :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I kind of figured it would happen given Chris Difford's recent comments.

And I cannot believe that I have a work commitment on the date of the London show :evil:

I can only hope there will be a second night added.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

Yay! Dates for a US tour are forthcoming! I am thrilled! :D
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

For those who didn't get the email:
Dear Music Lovers

Who'd have thought it? This year sees the start of the re-release campaign by Universal and Warners of the entire Squeeze back catalogue. These releases are something that Chris and I are really proud of and so in support of this, we have decided to do a limited amount of shows as Squeeze. All information about releases and dates will be sent to you on a regular basis. - Glenn

The UK shows go on sale on Friday the 16th March to the general public, but you can buy your tickets from 9.00am on Thursday 15th March using the link below. This link is exclusive to the faithful Glenn/Chris/Squeeze lists as a way of saying thank you for all the continued support. Please note it will not work until the time and date above. Don't forget to get the best seats in the house!

http://www.gigsandtours.com/?s=squeeze&site=squeeze

A US Tour is being put together now, dates will be posted as soon as they are all confirmed.

Line up is still in discussion, we will also post this information as soon as we have it.

The Essential Squeeze CD and DVD are only being released in the UK for now but we are at present in discussions about releases in other territories. The re-release campaign is also only due to be released in the UK, though we are hoping to see the releases coming out in other territories soon.

But you will all be able to purchase all the upcoming Squeeze releases from the Glenn and Quixotic shops and also the first Demo CD - 'Glenn Tilbrook - The Past Has Been Bottled/Demo Tapes', which will finally be ready for release in early May!

Below please find dates for Glenn solo acoustic in the UK, Australia and Singapore!

Mar '07
Fri 30 Don't Tell Tom 420 Sydney Rd, Brunswick VIC (03) 9380 8667
Featuring a special screening of Amy Pickards amazing rockumentary/travel film "Glenn Tilbrook: One For The Road" to be followed by Glenn live and totally rockin! Tickets $30 + booking fee

Apr '07
Wed 4 Espy, Gershwin Room 11 The Esplanade, St Kilda VIC (03) 9534 0211
The Glenn Tilbrook/RocKwiz Orchestra extravaganza featuring special guest Linda Bull - reprising Tilbrook/UK Squeeze songs old and new with full band - only gig in Australia with a band - and what a band it is! Tickets $30 + booking fee

Fri 13 Lake Kawana Community Centre Bokarina QLD (07) 5437 1170
supports from Diana Arnaid and Tyrone Noonan. Tix $25 plus bf presale or $30 at the door on sale through the venue now at Sportsmans Parade, Bokarina

Sat 14 Brunswick Hotel New Farm, Brisbane QLD (07) 3358 1181
Tix $20 inc + bf presale or $25 on the night. With support from Nik Phillips.

Wed 18 The Vanguard 42 King Street, Newtown NSW (02) 9557 7992
With support from Greta Gertler. Tix $27 presale, $30 at the door

Thu 19 The Vanguard Sydney (02) 9209 4614
With support from Steve Griffiths. Tix $27 presale, $30 at the door

Sat 21 Nitestand Bar & Comedy Club Clarke Quay, Singapore - 96203656
Sun 22 Nitestand Bar & Comedy Club Clarke Quay, Singapore $40 Sgd incl 1 drink on entry

May '07
Sat 12 Colchester Arts Centre, Colchester 01206-577-301
Sun 13 The Flowerpot, Derby 01332 834438
Mon 14 Telfords Warehouse, Chester 01244 390090
Tue 15 Robin 2, Wolverhampton 01902 405511
Thu 17 Citadel, St Helens 01744 735 436
Fri 18 The Picturedrome, Holmfirth
Sat 19 Ponterdarwe Arts Centre, Ponterdarwe 01792 863722
Sun 20 Wyeside Theatre, Powys
Wed 23 Huntingdon Hall, Worcester 01905 611 427
Thu 24 Tivoli Theatre, Winbourne
Fri 25 The Wharf, Tavistock 01822 611166
Sun 27 West Wing, Slough
Mon 28 Jazz Cafe, London
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Don't foget you heard it guessed here first

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... &start=750

I thank you
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I always knew that Difford and Tilbrook would get back together in one form or another. I shall be booking my tickets for the Woverhampton show today 8)

I'll be interested to see the line-up. Sadly, I suspect that it will be the two main boys and a few session musicians. Be good to be proved wrong.
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Wouldn't it be great if Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas rejoined?

I'm a bit gutted that the ticket price is £35 for London though. Even more gutted that I can't go although I'm harbouring hope that there will be a second night.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I would actually prefer it to be Gilson and Jools with Wilkinson on bass. They are the best Squeeze collective for me. I like things in there proper place!
corruptio optimi pessima
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

Glenn has announced that John Bentley (bassist before Keith) has joined
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

US tour dates have been announced at squeezeofficial.com!!!!!!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dublin date in the Olympia - yipeee!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18003E8C9B8B41B2

Squeeze
Olympia Theatre, Dublin, IE
Tue 11 Dec 2007, 20:00
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blog.myspace.com/packetofthree

The Past Has Been Bottled

Back in 1982 I sat in bassist John Bentley's smart modern flat and listened as he played the demo cassette for the songs which were to form the classic Squeeze album East Side Story. Recorded at home by Glenn Tilbrook in 1980 and 1981, the East Side Story demos have become legendary over the years. As the most critically acclaimed album Squeeze ever released, East Side Story marks the high water-mark of Difford and Tilbrook's songwriting prowess and the demos show that work in progress.

Interviews at the time of East Side Story in 1981 featured stories of the demos, how Elvis Costello, as producer, was being played the potential songs for the album and had heard a snippet of Labelled With Love, and had got them to rewind the cassette so he could listen to it again and get the band to record it.

Now, 25 years later you can hear what I heard in John Bentley's flat. The pure brilliance of the songs as performed on Glenn Tilbrook's four track tape by him, at home in Greenwich, playing all the instruments; the first time each of these songs was ever recorded.

Glenn has revisited the demo reel-to-reels and restored them and digitally mastered them so you can hear them in all their glory. The Past Has Been Bottled. Out 30 April 2007. Drink it and savour the unique taste of Squeeze.

1. Is That Love
2. Depression
3. Someone Else's Bell
4. Someone Else's Heart
5. There's No Tomorrow
6. F Hole
7. Labelled With Love
8. Tempted
9. Woman's World
10. Vanity Fair
11. Heaven
12. Mumbo Jumbo
13. Messed Around
14. In Quintessence
15. I Don't Like Love
16. Misunderstanding
17. Holiday Makers
18. Trust

"A unique insight into the creative process that produced Squeeze's most critically acclaimed album."

"Hear the songs before Elvis Costello produced them."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Past-Has-Been-B ... 928&sr=8-1

~ Glenn Tilbrook

# Audio CD (30 April 2007)
# Number of Discs: 1
# Label: Quixotic
verbal gymnastics

Thanks for that John.

I see Squeeze have added a second night at Hammersmith Apollo on Wednesday 5th December. The first night is nowhere near sold out yet :?

I'm still not sure if I'll be going though.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

johnfoyle wrote:http://blog.myspace.com/packetofthree

Back in 1982 I sat in bassist John Bentley's smart modern flat and listened as he played the demo cassette for the songs which were to form the classic Squeeze album East Side Story. Recorded at home by Glenn Tilbrook in 1980 and 1981, the East Side Story demos have become legendary over the years. As the most critically acclaimed album Squeeze ever released, East Side Story marks the high water-mark of Difford and Tilbrook's songwriting prowess and the demos show that work in progress.

Interviews at the time of East Side Story in 1981 featured stories of the demos, how Elvis Costello, as producer, was being played the potential songs for the album and had heard a snippet of Labelled With Love, and had got them to rewind the cassette so he could listen to it again and get the band to record it.

Now, 25 years later you can hear what I heard in John Bentley's flat. The pure brilliance of the songs as performed on Glenn Tilbrook's four track tape by him, at home in Greenwich, playing all the instruments; the first time each of these songs was ever recorded.

Glenn has revisited the demo reel-to-reels and restored them and digitally mastered them so you can hear them in all their glory. The Past Has Been Bottled. Out 30 April 2007. Drink it and savour the unique taste of Squeeze.

1. Is That Love
2. Depression
3. Someone Else's Bell
4. Someone Else's Heart
5. There's No Tomorrow
6. F Hole
7. Labelled With Love
8. Tempted
9. Woman's World
10. Vanity Fair
11. Heaven
12. Mumbo Jumbo
13. Messed Around
14. In Quintessence
15. I Don't Like Love
16. Misunderstanding
17. Holiday Makers
18. Trust

"A unique insight into the creative process that produced Squeeze's most critically acclaimed album."

"Hear the songs before Elvis Costello produced them."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Past-Has-Been-B ... 928&sr=8-1

~ Glenn Tilbrook

# Audio CD (30 April 2007)
# Number of Discs: 1
# Label: Quixotic

I picked this up last week. Fascinating stuff...though I don't care much for the vocal effects on Vanity Fair. :?
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Squeeze Aims To Celebrate Catalog On Reunion Tour

May 31, 2007, 6:00 PM ET
Wes Orshoski, N.Y.

When the newly reunited Squeeze hits the States this summer for their first U.S. shows in more than seven years, fans will be treated to a tour unlike any they've witnessed before.

"It's gonna be quite a lot more visual -- we're paying a lot of attention to the staging at the show," says principal member Glenn Tilbrook. "I want it to be a proper musical appreciation of what we've done. I don't want it to be some sort of cheap run-through that could have been in a cabaret room. I want it to be a proper, living, breathing band. And that's what I'm sure it will be."

But Tilbrook warns that Squeeze devotees shouldn't get their hopes up for anything beyond this batch of summer dates. "I still have no desire to go back and be involved in another version of Squeeze, because I think that's just had its life. I'm very, very proud of it. [Principal member] Chris [Difford] and I get on, and the collaboration between us, what we produced, I'm very proud of."

Having moved past a rocky patch in their relationship that followed the band's split in 1999, Tilbrook and Difford have formed a new friendship. Last year in Brighton, England, Difford even joined Tilbrook at a solo gig, where they performed "Slap and Tickle" and "Take Me, I'm Yours," backed by Tilbrook's band, the Fluffers.

Two things helped set the reunion in motion. The former bandmates got together recently to do interviews for a new Squeeze best-of collection issued in the U.K. (the 20-track "Essential Squeeze," available as an import only). And both were candid in Jim Drury's book "Squeeze: Song by Song," released in 2004. "I think we were both honest in it," says Tilbrook. "I think it led to us both understanding each other a lot more."

We started talking about it, and it's not like there are any issues between me and Chris, and I think it's also not like we want to take the band any further," he adds. "This tour is very much a look back at what we've done and we're very proud of that."

The reunion kicks off July 14 at Stoke Park in Guildford, U.K., and hits the U.S. July 30 in Londonderry, N.H., before wrapping Aug. 14 in Saratoga, Calif. The tour will continue throughout November and December in the U.K. Tilbrook and Difford will backed by the Fluffers.

Despite its various incarnations having featured such notable players as keyboardist/vocalist Paul Carrack and pianist Jools Holland, Tilbrook says the only person he and Difford reached out to for this tour was drummer Gilson Larvis, who was unavailable.

"Gilson was a very, very important part of the Squeeze sound," says Tilbrook, "And he really helped mold the band and was pretty instrumental in pushing us forward in the early days. But he has solid work with Jools now, and this happens to be during all the time that were touring, so he couldn't do it."

Tilbrook says he's hoping the U.S. tour dates will spark the band's American label, Universal, to reissue its catalog, as is happening throughout the world. "Hopefully, they'll see the wisdom in getting our products out there," he says. "It's something we're extremely proud of, and something that we care about. And if they don't want to release it, I'd love for them to release them to us so we can release it."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003592561
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Excellent. We have tickets for one of the two New York dates. Looking forward to it.
verbal gymnastics

invisible Pole wrote:Squeeze Aims To Celebrate Catalog On Reunion Tour

The tour will continue throughout November and December in the U.K. Tilbrook and Difford will backed by the Fluffers.
So is this Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers plus Chris Difford that equals Squeeze? :?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
invisible Pole wrote:Squeeze Aims To Celebrate Catalog On Reunion Tour

The tour will continue throughout November and December in the U.K. Tilbrook and Difford will backed by the Fluffers.
So is this Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers plus Chris Difford that equals Squeeze? :?
It's more Squeeze than that Jam thingy is The Jam. :wink:
verbal gymnastics

To me Squeeze must contain Difford and Tilbrook. In the same way, The Jam must contain Paul Weller.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Folks in the area on June 7 may be interested to know that one Mr Chris Difford will be giving a free performance in sunny South Shields:
http://www.visitsouthtyneside.co.uk/thi ... -diary.asp
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Well, Mr Difford put on a v. good show. Good humoured, plenty of old faves, with just a couple of his own.

Needless to say the sun didn't shine, but at least it didn't rain (last year Eddie & the Hot Rods adjourned to the dryness of the nearest pub for their set).

A chumbly initiated conversation afterwards:
Did you recognise the singer?
What, Chris Difford?
No, Dory Jackson, daughter of Dave Jackson.
Huh?
The sax player.
Huh?
Of Van der Graf Generator.
F'ck off, you proggy git!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Argybargy reissue can already be pre-ordered here :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Argy-Bargy-Sque ... 180&sr=8-6
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed