Pixies Reunite!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Joe Porterhouse

Pixies Reunite!

Post by Joe Porterhouse »

I read that the Pixies are getting back together for a tour next April and possibly another album.That would be fantastic.A truly great band that is very underrated.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

where did you read this? i always thought frank was so against the idea. but if it's true.....oh man oh man oh man oh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I heard the same thing on the radio just this past Sunday. Hot damn!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i did some websurfing last week to check this out, and it seemed to be refuted, yet again.

i'll believe it when i SEE it.

but it would be nice.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

woowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoo!
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I am totally clueless when it comes to The Pixies. Where's a good starting point?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Chair -

I'd start with Doolittle - it has their "big hits" and is probably the most accessable - my favorite song is "Debaser"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Boy With A Problem speaks truth.

Start with Doolittle, and if you like it, there's two ways to proceed:

Trompe Le Monde is a killer, loud, very punk-y record, that I love very much. But it's not the heir apparant of Doolittle. Doolittle was the heir apparant of Surfer Rosa and Bossanova, both tremendous records (Surfer Rosa is a little stronger). You can find the best Pixies cuts on Death to the Pixies, one of the few greatest hits records I really like, mainly for the live cuts on disc 2.

But by all means start with Doolittle.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thought I'd revive this thread with a recent Billboard.com article:

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. February 23, 2004, 3:40 PM ET

Pixies Reunion Shows Sell Out Immediately

Confirming that interest in the Pixies' music has not waned since the band's 1993 demise, 11 of the 12 shows scheduled for the group's impending reunion tour sold out within minutes over the weekend. At the 1,600-seat Prairieland venue in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, capacity has been doubled to accommodate additional fans.

"The demand has been so great," Prairieland events manager Carl Schlosser enthuses to Billboard.com. "We are the largest venue, so we'll be that overflow for fans who may have been shut out in other cities." Tickets for the 12th show on April 29 in Davis, Calif., go on sale March 1.

The Pixies have logged several weeks of rehearsal in Los Angeles in preparation for the North American dates, which culminate May 1 at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. "We were all a little nervous when we first got together, but within maybe five minutes, everything felt completely comfortable, and it was like the last 11 years had never happened," vocalist/guitarist Frank Black says in a statement.

Adds bassist Kim Deal, "I experienced what I call 'muscle memory' -- we'd be playing a song and I didn't even have to think about what note came next -- my fingers remembered what to play."

Following Coachella, the group will take a short break before hitting Europe for festivals and headlining appearances. So far, confirmed dates begin with a June 2-5 stand at London's Carling Brixton Academy and also include a June 11 appearance at the Super Bock Super Rock festival in Lisbon, two mid-June shows with the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Dublin and Paris and a July 10 set at the T in the Park festival in Kinross, U.K.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.