The pointless lyrics quiz

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
whtesde

The pointless lyrics quiz

Post by whtesde »

Also known as Please indulge me and I'll try not to take up much of your time. Name artist and song, you know the drill.

1. And our separate possessions are shuffled up on shelves / Like our fingers lock together when we talk about ourselves. Del Amitri - It's Never Too Late to Be Alone Credit laughingcrow

2. Fun times we have known / That's what we're like, we've just taken them all / And I still don't remember how I got home. The Sundays - More

3. Two dozen other stupid reasons why we should suffer for this / Don't bother trying to explain them / Just hold my hand / While I come to a decision on it. English Beat - Save It For Later Credit Selfmademug

4. In a world of disposable icons and all the jokers with their phony come-ons, I know I can depend on you / When we're together, we're hurtling through. L7 - Monster

5. Now you tell the maid, burn you on your virgin back / The curling iron, hotter than hot / You say it's good enough / You say your pain is better than any kind of love. X - Sex and Dying in High Society Credit bobster

6. We didn't build this city, didn't paint this town / Seems like we spend half our lives standing around/ Wanting somewhere else to go. The Push Stars - Back to the Party

7. En cuatro balcones, que tenegan flores de todos colores / Que te levantes por la manana y que no tengas que hacer nada. Los Amigos Invisibles - Ponerte en Cuatro

8. Down to the street with an early shaking / Down to the park, but the park ain't open / Down so far you must be joking / No more dreams for me. Freedy Johnston - Down in Love

9. You have a voice, you have a phone, but you're usually alone, / You know it's stupid. / I have a body and a brain, but I turn them off again and again, / You know it's stupid. Blake Babies - Out There

10. Acting steady, always ready to defend your fears / What's the matter with the truth, did I offend your ears? Aimee Mann - That's Just What You Are Credit Selfmademug

11. He loves you now, because you are thin / But you'll be spending your life sucking your stomach in. The Devlins - Big Decision

12. Please forget the words that I've just blurted out / It wasn't me, it was a strange and creeping doubt / It keeps rattling my cage and there's nothing in this world will keep it down. Radiohead - I Can't Credit laughingcrow

13. I don't think you're very smart, you don't think I'm very pretty. / Guess we never thought at all, and it seems like such a pity. Merrill Bainbridge - Sleeping Dogs

14. Windows, cover the windows / Don't you know the neighbors talk / Windows, cover the windows / If you don't then I might walk away Michael Penn - Battle Room Credit The Macintosh Man

15. We're a little superstitious too much time alone / we knock once for forgiveness, knock it twice to get back home. Billy Pilgrim - Lady of the Mist
Last edited by whtesde on Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Great stuff. A lot of these sound familiar but the only two I can get off the top of my head are

3. SAVE IT FOR LATER, English Beat

and

10. THA'TS JUST WHAT YOU ARE, Aimee Mann
The Macintosh Man

Post by The Macintosh Man »

14. Battle Room, Michael Penn, from his 1st album, March
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

1 - Del Amitri..It's never too late to be alone

12 - Radiohead... I Can't

Not a scooby on the others....
bobster

Post by bobster »

5 is "X" -- Sex and Dying in High Society.

Otherwise, this test makes me feel poorly-listened!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

!!!
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Well played, everyone who's guessed so far! I'm thinking I might stick a time limit on this puppy, so all remaining answers will be revealed next Monday night, Sept. 22.
Last edited by whtesde on Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Monday is September 22 . . .

:P
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Oh. Yeah. I knew that. Really. I did. Totally.

Date change!
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

It's a bit early, but I figured I'd officially pull the plug. Now let us never speak of this again.

2. The Sundays, More
4. L7, Monster
6. The Push Stars, Back to the Party
7. Los Amigos Invisibles, Ponerte en Cuatro
8. Freedy Johnston, Down in Love
9. Blake Babies, Out There
11. The Devlins, Big Decision
13. Merrill Bainbridge, Sleeping Dogs (aka the only other song I liked on her album)
15. Billy Pilgrim, Lady of the Mist

laughingcrow and selfmademug are tied for first, but I am bereft of prizes.