Indiana Governor Dies

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
SoLikeCandy

Indiana Governor Dies

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Damn, is anyone else going to go???

The governor of my homestate died this morning from complications of a massive stroke he suffered on Monday. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican, but he seemed to do his best to serve the people. Bless him and his folks.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

My girlfriend's also from Indiana, and I just delivered the bad news to her. She hadn't heard yet. I guess people are born and die every day, but it seems like a lot of deaths have been on the forefront lately.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I have kind of wondered that myself, SLC.

I know it's corny, but "they" say that famous people go in three's. Lately it's just been in large groups of ten, or so it seems.
A rope leash

Mel Carnahan

Post by A rope leash »

A few years back, the governor of misery, Mel Carnahan, was killed in a plane crash. At the time, he was running for governor, or US Senate, I forget which. Anyway, he remained on the ballot, even though he was dead. Running against him was John Ashcroft. Carnahan, completely dead, still got more votes than Ashcroft. An odd tradition of the state came into play, and Cranahan's wife accepted the position.

That's right, Ashcroft lost to a dead man. I sometimes wish he had won, so that he would not have taken the post of Attorney General, whereupon he is proceeding to inflict his religious dogmas on all of us poor "secular" infidels. The man continually places his religious beliefs above the tenants of the US Constitution.

SLC, sorry about using your thread to rant some about how our rights are being systematically done away with. Indiana is a great state, except for some of its speed limits.

As far as people dying, well, we just never know, do we? In the case of this governor, Johnny Cash, and Warren Zevon, I don't think we could call it unexpected.

(Edited because I got Goody and So Like mixed up again...)
Last edited by A rope leash on Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

It's funny that you would mention religion--as conservative and tight-assed as Indiana is, O'Bannon (the governor who died) was very religious, as was the rest of his family. The thing I really liked about him was that it never played a part in his political life.

See? People can have faith without cramming it down the throats of others...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

BlueChair wrote:I guess people are born and die every day, but it seems like a lot of deaths have been on the forefront lately.
Blue, maybe there have been a lot of births lately of people who will be just as big and influential...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

A rope leash wrote:Carnahan, completely dead, still got more votes than Ashcroft. An odd tradition of the state came into play, and Cranahan's wife accepted the position.
This was the Senate election in 2000. What adds even more bite to the story is that Ashcroft was the incumbent at the time. Generally, incumbents have such a huge advantage you simply can't defeat them, but Ashcroft was such a piss-poor senator a man with no pulse got more votes.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"