New Bowie Album and Tour

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DrJ

New Bowie Album and Tour

Post by DrJ »

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... id=1913693

There's something great about people only putting 12 months between records...

DrJ
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks, Dr J, you've made my day! I will not miss him this year!!!!!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bowie is one of the artists I've been wanting to see live for years. Hopefully this is my chance.
Otis Westinghouse

And imagine if the new LP is as good as Heathen! Oh boy, oh boy...
Otis Westinghouse

Anyone got the Bowie at the Beeb CD? A great document, esepcially with the 2000 gig on it too (which, Bamboo, I suspect is the thing you referred to in your Bowie pm that you saw on Oz TV, great tracklisting - starting with Wild Is The Wind, then ashes To Ashes - fucking brilliant - then Seven, etc.). Well the 2 CD set proper is highly recommended - from the very early stuff, with some great renditions, and songs you haven't heard before like the hilarious London Bye Ta Ta, through to lots of Ziggy songs, including two of Ziggy S itself - yay!

Go on, BunnyPet, you know you want this in your collection!

I'm gpoing to be insufferable when all this happens. Shall I bore you all here, or decamp to a Bowie message board for this? Trouble is, with the bog, big stars, the message boards are tediously remote due to so many posters, not like a little club like this.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bowie At The Beeb is excellent. I find myself popping in Disc 2 the most, although the other CDs are great too.

Something about Bowie singing Velvet Underground songs though.. I dunno! And that version of "The Supermen" that opens Disc 2... wow.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Go on, BunnyPet, you know you want this in your collection!
Ooooh look, like I want that Phil Collins cd over there in my collection.

Don't worry Otis, I quite like Macca now so you're still in with a chance of converting me. I remember him playing the Royal Court (about a 2,000 cap) and thinking I should try and get a ticket. I didn't.
Otis Westinghouse

PlaythingOrPet wrote: Ooooh look, like I want that Phil Collins cd over there in my collection.

I am not provoked. You are not upsetting me. You have likened Dame David to Pheeble Phil, but I am turning the other cheek.
Don't worry Otis, I quite like Macca now so you're still in with a chance of converting me. I remember him playing the Royal Court (about a 2,000 cap) and thinking I should try and get a ticket. I didn't.
You will learn to love him, I know. Did you hear Wossie call him the greatest artist in the history of recorded music yesterday? You can be worked on. And fancy missing the opportunity to see him in a 2,000 seater.

It made great sense for Dave to be playing VU because they were a big influence, but also because of his role in Lou's early solo career. So, a great transatlantic connection of that time.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Otis, if you had to choose one over the other, than who is is... David or Declan...?

(1) The desert Island question: Whose catalogue would you rather bring...?

(2) If you could only hear one... Would you rather hear the New Bowie or Costello...?

(3) The two are playing gigs in differnent venues on the same night in your hometown, who do you choose?

(4) Who would you rather be stuck in a lift with...?

The board needs to know...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Oh no, am I going to get evicted for answering incorrectly? Bye folks...

1. David. So many memories. Even though there are 5 LPs I don't own (Let's Dance through to Tin Machine 2), the 70s output is the biz.

2. Declan. There's a fear that Heathen was sadly a one-off, and the next one will be as dull as Hours.

3. David. I've seen him once only (97, Outside tour, Morrissey as support, stayed away out of protest when he played the NEC Birmingham on the Let's Dance tour), whereas I've seen Dec 5 times.

4. Declan. I would make thelift shake too much if I were with Dave.

There, 50/50, do I get to stay?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Otie - I didn't hear Jonathan say that but did you hear the track he played by the actor Peter Wyngarde? Feckin' marvellous! I've looked it up on his website and it's called 'Neville Thumbcatch' from the album 'When Sex Leers Its Inquisitive Head'. I'm tempted.... :lol:

DrJ, how do you know when you've broken your collar bone?
Otis Westinghouse

I think it probably hurts rather a lot. Throwing yourself off walls while drinking again, Madame X?

Sadly I missed that song. Ross announced that he plays a Bowie song every week, bless 'im, and this week it was the immortal Man Who Sold The World

Why aren't the email alerts working today?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

It's the most commonly broken bone in the body... It's important to know the mechanism of injury...

Take off your shirt, look in a mirror: are you asymmetrical? Is there a broken edge of bone tenting the skin? Feel the collar bone that's not broken, it's a nice s-shape. Now feel the one you think is broken: usually they break 2/3 along their length away from the chest/breast bone and there's an obvious palpable defect. And it's sore. Can you bring your arm away from your body as if you're trying to comb the back of your hair? How sore is that? Hmmm?

Chances are if you've done your collar bone, you'll know about it straight away. You won't hang around for a few days...

Bowie: I've been enjoying Aladdin Sane a lot. As I said elsewhere, it was the only 70's Bowie album I didn't have yet. Much and all as I enjoy it, it has dated a lot. It seems tied up with three-day weeks and all that. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, I wasn't born when Aladdin Sane came out the first time... how about dem apples... But you should treat yourself Otis, use the excuse that's you're buying a new album (the bonus disc) and book with a free copy of Aladdin Sane. That's how I justify the EC reissues... Plus the sound is immpecable...

I've seen Bowie three times: 1990 on the Sound+Vision tour was probably my fave because I was quite impressionable plus it was just a hits show. I saw the Outside tour too, with Moz, and on the Earthling tour in a small 1,400 seater theatre.

I've just noticed that the tickets are on sale Friday...
http://www.nme.com/news/105304.htm

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

No, not throwing myself off walls although I am ashamed to admit it did involve alcohol. It's not broken, DrJ, that was just me and my over-reacting self. It's where it meets the shoulder, just underneath the bone. No way can I do the combing my hair thing you said. Christ, it hurts! -- even when I'm dosed up on someone else's super-strength painkillers (I know I shouldn't do that! I hate anything to do with doctors and hospitals, but not you DrJ!). Guess I should just rest it? Oh gawd, I forgot about cyber consultation fees...

So why did Moz and David fall out? It was mentioned in the docu the other week tho at no great length.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Chances are you've strectched your acroimioclavicular ligament which holds the far end of your clavicle to your shoulder. If the ligament is completely torn, that end of your collarbone will pop up if you carry a weight (eg bag of shopping) in your hand. It's probably not torn, just injured. Pain killers, sling and time... If it's still bad after 8-10 days consider getting an x-ray. If it's better in 8-10 days but still a little bit nigglysore, get physiotherapy.

That'll be £80.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

80 quid?! I'm a student! Yeah, that'll be it, the acroimio....acroimiocla...thingy. I don't fancy my collarbone popping up any time soon. Thanks DrJ.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

That's an extra 20 quid!
Otis Westinghouse

Well you'd be paying 80 quid or euros at least in Dublin, but at least we're still clinging onto free health care... (for how long though, eh?).

Dr J: I've just noticed that you really are a doctor. I thought you were just a doctor of groove. Laughing at the idea of going to the doctor and finding he was an Elvis and Bowiehead - poor people in the waiting room!

I'm such an idot missing the hammy Apollo gig last year. Just looking at the mouth-watering setlist on the NME site. I do believe last year (and, I hope, this) was the best time to see Bowie live since... I don't think he toured Scary Monsters, did he? 1979 then.

The story at the time was that Moz had a nervous breakdwon, but on the doc Moz had a vindictive account of Bowie somehow coming on stage with his band and joining in as a way of getting him off the stage. Very odd. I think they should have cut that bit.

Damn and damn, I was hoping tickets would be later in the year. I get paid tomorrow, but also have some serious holiday expenditure to contemplate. Oh well, have to get my priorities right. Friday 9am it is then.
Otis Westinghouse

Wednesday November 26, Wembley. And with the satisfaction of a fairly good stalls seat from wayahead.com, when Ticketmaster (who I feel duty bound to hate, because everyone here seems to) had no stalls seats left. Only 5 months and four days to go...
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this Otis. The damn debug thing kept happening to me on the e mail thing, so I'm here instead.

I am interested, but I think I'm gonna have to leave it a while. Taxman to pay in July. £80 is a bit much for a casual fan though!
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

£80 was the good doctor's charge! See p. 1. Bowie was £52 with all the bullshit added (sadly wayahead's bullshit was the same as Ticketmaster's). £52 is nothing for the seriously committed...

The PMs were working - all three of them. The 'debug' thing seems to have stopped. But where are the email alerts for replies to posts? Grrrrr!