Your Ten Favorite.......Bowie songs

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Richard

Post by Richard »

For me peak Bowie is always going to be the Bowie/Eno collaborations. Lodger was a bridge to far, and it is fascinating to think what Eno could have added to the already great Scary Monsters.
So sorry if this is a bit predictable, I have tried to pick as many of my non-Eno favorites as possible;

Always Crashing In The Same Car
Station To Station (From Stage)
V-2 Schneider
Sorrow
Up The Hill Backwards
Starman
Cat People (Putting Out Fire)
A New Career In A New Town
The Man Who Sold The World
Andy Warhol

I am not sure if Andy Warhol was even intended as a serious song, but it has always been great to me!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice list. I wouldn't describe Andy Warhol as non-serious. A trio of pastiches/homages with Queen Bitch and Song for BD, all three with a humorous bent but great songs all.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:http://www.cityrealty.com/condos/profile.cr?bid=7522

Not sure about the rainforest depleting floors there, Dave.

Good list, as I would expect, Storm, and nice to see you here again! Indeed that version of Let Me Sleep Beside You is tops. Love Lady GS, been playing that a bit recently. Convo Piece is a total classic too. When You R & R another masterpiece, though I'm not sure I could go for the Live version over the original. I am very fond of David Live as a whole, though.
Hey Otis, I got a parking ticket this morning, the address on the ticket was 285 Lafayette St. I'll sell it to you for $95 or put it on eBay - your call...
Where's North from 'ere?
Otis Westinghouse

Was it issued by the man himself? Have you been stalking him?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Well the ticket was signed "Love on Ya, from Officer Jones" but surely it couldn't have been....

Tell me, at what point does "Peering in his windows with my binoculars while parking on Mulberry St" (less chance of a ticket) turn into "Stalking" ?
Where's North from 'ere?
Otis Westinghouse

Very quickly!

Love on ya! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to look at that and think 'Wowie zowie, Bowie is just soooo cooool.'
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
Always Crashing In The Same Car
Warszawa
Hello Spaceboy (with Foo Fighters at MSG)
The Last Thing You Should Do (with Robert Smith at the birthday bash)
Repetition
My Death
Queen Bitch
Rock'n'Roll Suicide
Quicksand
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice selection. Repetition is a very non-perennial choice. My Death too. Glad you returned to shower us with your original top 10s. The thing I like is that with some artists there are songs featuring that I've either never heard or barely know, even if I'm a huge fan of other parts of their work, so they provide lots of interesting things to check out, and even with ones where I know everything, like this artist, it still gives you pause for thought, e.g. to check out Robert Smith at the birthday bash again as it didn't grab me that much when I last watched it.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Oh! You Pretty Things
Life On Mars?
Queen Bitch
Starman
Cracked Actor
Stay
Sweet Thing
Blue Jean
Rebel Rebel
A New Career In A New Town

This one was next to impossible. I left off the rest of Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Station To Station, Low etc.
Otis Westinghouse

In favour of Blue Jean?!? Sorry, personal taste, etc, but BLUE JEAN???
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Blue Jean is a fine pop song. Plus I have good memories attached to it.

While I'm at it, I also liked Tin Machine. Yeah, I said it.
Otis Westinghouse

I'd take them over Blue Jean! Memories are a sound enough justification. I have bad memories attached to it: 'What is my teen hero doing to himself?'
Otis Westinghouse

ice nine wrote:Remember that great performance he did of Simon & Garfunkle's 'America' as he opened the 9/11 tribute?
Selected in the recent Mojo special as one of the songs of the 90s. On this:

http://www.amazon.com/Concert-New-York- ... 493&sr=8-1

Always loved the original, a true classic. This cover sounds promising from the three seconds on Amazon.
Otis Westinghouse

stormwarning wrote:It's Gonna Be Me from the LA 9/74 show is a big improvment on the YA bonus track in my opinion...
Unbelievably, despite downloading thismonths ago, I've only just checked it out. Fabulous! What a vocal performance.

On the point of the 'with strings' version on the new reissue, Wiki say:

'It was not released until 1990 as a bonus track on the Rykodisc CD release of Young Americans. In 2006, a different version of the song with strings is planned for release on the Collectors Edition of Young Americans.'

So there's one bona fide CD surprise on this reissue? I bet you have it already on bootleg, Storm!

Sound of the Strange Fascination bootleg (i.e. the above-mentioned Sept '74 LA gig) is very good. One reason I didn't get too excited about checking it out is as I expected it to be a re-run of David Live, but so far it's sounding like a good companion piece. Shame the NY Radio City Hall 'Infected With Soul Love' isn't as good quality - there's something so incredibly exciting about him announcing 'Here's the title track of my next LP' before launching into a flawless Young Americans. The changing in styles and addition of new songs post-Philadelphia recording as part of the same tour is an area of Bowie-ology that I find strangely fascinating.
Otis Westinghouse

25to12 wrote:By the way, is anyone a member of bowiezone? If not, and you fancy joining a Bowie forum, please do - I'm a moderator there, so I'll put in a good word for you with the rest of the staff :wink: Plus I think fanatical Costello fans may be a tad under-represented
I've signed up. Decent site, friendly people, access to music files and not too oversized. I can exercise my obessions over there ...