Curtisology

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Curtisology

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I've read a couple of books on Ian Curtis, the book by Deborah, of course, and one or two others, but was amazed by some of the things in this, which I happened to see in HMV:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torn-Apart-Life ... F8&s=books

Sounds like the errors would drive me mad, but it's stuffed with never-seen-before family pics, and in fact all the photos try to be different to the usual ones we JD-heads are familiar with, or at least be other ones from the same session as the more famous ones, and it has the coup of quotes from Annik Honore, the Belgian lover of his closing months, and quotes of postcards he sent her whilst on tour, etc. Flawed or otherwise, a must buy for anyone whose never got over the incredible uniqueness of the man.

It starts with a statement that JD were the best band he's ever seen live, and he's seen Who, Led Zep, Stones et al in their prime, and the difference is the amazing performance by Curtis.

A real must for fans.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Sam Riley as Ian Curtis

Poster
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48458249@N00/106885873/

Link to another photo of Riley as Curtis
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Is that for real? When did Curtis ever have his hair that longg in JD? Not at all. Absurd! And what's with the drunk eyes? Maybe Corbijn thinks he captures the essence of the man. He played Mark E Smith in 24 Hour Party People! Maybe this is him in civvies, not as IC.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0727165/

I don't actually remember that part. One liner in a pub or something?

What's hilarious is that Ronan Vibert is to play Tony Wilson:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0895812/

Vibert is a Jersey surname, though he's Welsh. I knew someone that went out with him once. Bizarre to think of him as Wilson.

Sean Harris was good in 24 Hour Party People and looked more the part, but seemed a little too manic, and didn't put across the two Curtises that were the man on and off-stage. Too much obvious angst off-stage, which isn't how he was described. Did the manic dance quite well. the scene with them playing Digital is great.

Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

He looks the part in the first pic tho, hair included. Agree with you about Sean Harris. At least its not Jude Law!
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Sean Harris was terribly good as Ian Brady in a very good drama based on the Moors Murderers not long ago. (As in Suffer Little Children, you know?) What first pic? There is only one link, a flckr pic.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

http://www.ioncinema.com/beta/posters/control_07.jpg

This link from the above post that has now been replaced by a giant IONCINEMA sign.
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

I see, replaced.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Do you agree he looks better in that pic?
Apparently New Order are composing new soundtrack music for the film too.
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Well I don't know cos the image was replaced by the IonCinema poster, no?

Heard about NO's involvement. A bit confused, as there is another film in addition to Corbijn's, I believce, and one of them involved NO at the start but they then pulled out. Not sure.
Otis Westinghouse

You can sign up for email updates on 'controlthemovie.com'. My chum Anton tells me:

'We are nearly halfway thru the filming already as we started
on July 10th and hope to finish August 26th. It has been a great
journey so far and I look forward to showing this trip to you all.
The atmosphere on the set is really good and the actors have been
giving us fantastic performances.

The greatest surprise has been how good the four actors playing
the Joy Division members have been musically. They are stars and
the movie benefits so much from their dedication to play the music
as well as Joy Division did live. We will attempt to keep you all
informed as much as possible via this website, so stay alert.

All the best,

Anton Corbijn'

So they're doing a Johnny Cash and recreating the music. Will be interesting. I wonder how the vocal performance will be.

Haven't been on worldinmotion.com in a while, but it's ther best source for all related stories. Has some photos of Peter Hook visiting Ian's grave. It's a tiny stone only, next to someone else who died 8 days before. In some of the pics Hooky is reading notes people have left there. This one shows a bizarre little dog death mask object that has inexplicably been left there, and a few coins.

http://www.worldinmotion.net/newsroom/p ... field3.jpg

I have mixed feelings about making a pilgrimage, but have always thought I would at some point.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Well I don't know cos the image was replaced by the IonCinema poster, no?
No.
In my first post it was, but I reposted it again in my second message.
Have you been drinking Otis?

Try the link below:

http://www.ioncinema.com/beta/news.php?nid=1501
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Well the second link you gave led to the same 'ioncinema' thing, though it seems to give the right pic, anyway the new link is better as there's text too. Yes, looks pretty convincing. I wonder if the eyes and voice will be remotely right. His speaking voice was quite high, despite the Dr Doom effects of Day of the Lords.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

And will the actor actually do the singing?
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

I imagine so, if they're redoing the music. 24hour was all mimed, and it doesn't quite work cinematically. If they can recreate and pull it off, it could be brilliant.
Otis Westinghouse

A Curtisfest is in the offing in the build up to the Oct 5 release (UK, at least) of Control. A sad and moving article in yesterday's Guardian interviewing the other three + Corbijn:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/story/ ... 73,00.html

The documentary sounds tremendously exciting too. The enhanced versions referred to have me salivating. Remasterings of Unknown Pleasures, Closer and Still, with bonus CDs of live gigs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pleasures-Remas ... 090&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Closer-Remaster ... 090&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Still-Remastere ... 090&sr=8-2

Of the three gigs, High Wycombe and Univ of London are known to me from tapes I had as a teenager, with the London one being available on Dime recently too. Both good bootlegs. The Manchester Factory one is new to me as a bootleg, so extra exciting. These are all from their closing months. High Wycombe and London were consecutive gigs in Feb 1980, and Manchester was their second from last gig, April 11, the last being the not fantastic Birminghamn Uni one already on Still (with the travesty of out of tune synth ruining Decades). I also have the penulltimate gig in Derby on bootleg vinyl.

Although these gigs are inevitably quite similar, the shortness of their career and the intensity of their performances makes them all of great interest to a die-hard like myself. The sad thing is that there's no decent concert footage. A couple of wobbly gigs, one of which was on the Factory video Here Are The Young Men (which I've read may also be re-released), both of which I got off eBay. The best footage is of course off Something Else, Transmission and She's Lost Control, where you get a sense of how incredible Curtis must have been to see in a small venue, but if only a proper filming had been done of one of the gigs.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Rhino are also releasing Joy Division's catalogue on 180 gram vinyl next month:

http://search.insound.com/search/search ... submit.y=0
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Perhaps I need an upgrade from my 80s originals! What grams were standard then. I wonder. I have Closer in the original ivory sleeve, not this yellow abomination they keep showing now. It's a slightly furry finish, almost like blotting paper. And Still in the Hessian finish with ribbon.

Discovery of the day, though, is here:

http://www.joydiv.org/up.htm

The Unknown Pleasures 'dying star' logo came from a Cambridge Encyclopedia of Astronomy that Barney Sumner came across, published by the august institution I work for. It's a personal honour.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Nice review of Control from Salon.com. It was screened at the Toronoto Film Festival with a new Joy Division documentary. I can't wait to see both!

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/ ... /toronto4/
Otis Westinghouse

Excellent review, plus of the docu. Now I'm really salivating. Having not been able to see JD live, I feel like this will be the next best thing. I hope to go 3 or so times to the cinema, and of course get the DVD as soon as it's out and watch it over and over.

I wonder if the docu has any new concert footage. Only three, I think, or maybe four gigs have footage, plus the two TV shows. I saw a ref to Tony Wilson showing his son live footage and the son saying 'now I get it!', but there was no ref to whether this was unseen stuff from his archives. I have c. 25 gigs on bootleg (in my mission to try and get all the ones available), plus the ones that have been officially released.

The above Wilson ref is from this month's Word which, as well as a Wilson obit, contains an excellent article on Control with Corbijn interview. It explores in detail his dealings with the band. How he came to shoot them twice including the LWTUA vid. I particularly enjoyed the account of the first ever photo:

And the fact that it was taken at Lancaster Gate.
Otis Westinghouse

Good site running for the movie with promising trailer and nice timeline and various factoids:

controlthemovie.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

What a great review. I'm a Joy Division novice in comparison to the above posters, but this film sounds like a great jump-off point for getting deeper into the band's music.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A technically excellent but emotionally uninvolving film . His medical condition aside we never really see what tormented the central character. Growing up his family background is supportive and non-judgmental. At school he seems accepted and not a victim of bullying. He seems to effortlessly go through the life stages of marriage, getting a home and work. Yet we see him ,as a teenager, experimenting with medication which, ultimately, may have caused/accelerated his epileptic state. Clearly I'm missing something. Was/is Maccesfield really that bad? The in concert sequences are dynamite ; hopefully the DVD will have some unedited sequences.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I am very much anticipating the movie. I don't know if I am going to get a theater release locally, may have to take a drive to Chicago. If not it will be waiting for the DVD release.

The reviews seem to be extremely positive. I am pleased how much the ones I am reading have an awareness of Joy Division's music.

Pophead - their career was brief. 2 studio albums, 3 non-album singles and a number of songs scattered over other releases. Download a song or two before taking the plunge. The two albums, Unknown Pleasures and Closer are both magnificant and very distinct from each other. Quite surprising considering the brevity of their career.

John - 'Emotionally uninvolving' sounds as far from Joy Division as you can get. I will be sure to post my own thoughts once I have finally seen the movie. Thanks for your thoughts.

Review from Entertainment Weekly

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20132510,00.html