Wedding Music Help!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
marblefaun

Wedding Music Help!

Post by marblefaun »

My sister is getting married and I'm helping her plan the wedding. We both have pretty good taste in music but we're a little stumped as to what song she should walk down the aisle to and what song she could dance to with our dad. There are tons of boring, cookie cutter songs out there but I'd love to hear any interesting, off the beaten track ideas.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Too bad you're not asking for recommendations for their first dance together. "Baby You're My Light" by Richard Hawley would be my choice if I had to choose today. Romantic, but grounded in reality and not schmaltzy in the least.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

She already has the first song but i'll check it out anyway! Thanks..please keep 'em coming.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Well, as someone who is planning a wedding - I can at least tell you the ideas I currently have for the father-daughter dance. Now, a disclaimer is that my dad's a *huge* Paul McCartney fan, so I'm only really looking at his stuff. Might not work as well in different contexts.

I'm thinking about using:
Little Willow
Somedays
I Will
Blackbird (though Blue thinks this is horribly inappropriate, which it may well be ;))
Beautiful Night

We haven't thought about walking down the aisle music at all yet, so I can't help you there.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

As for "walking down the aisle music" firts thing that comes to my head is John Lennon's "Grow Old Along With Me".
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I DJ weddings several times a year, and I'll share the tracks I've enjoyed playing at those times in weddings I've done.

For one wedding the bride and groom walked down the aisle to "Do You Realize" by the Flaming Lips. The father and bride danced to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

For another, the bride and groom walked down the aisle to "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. I should note that the wedding was on a Friday the 13th, so there was a reason for it. The bride and father danced to "You're My Best Friend" by Queen. It was nice, but a little fast.

Another wedding had the bride walking down the aisle to Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman," which was cool. I don't remember what they danced to.

I've always thought REM's "You Are the Everything" would be a good song for either walking up or down the aisle.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

RedShoes wrote:Well, as someone who is planning a wedding - I can at least tell you the ideas I currently have for the father-daughter dance. Now, a disclaimer is that my dad's a *huge* Paul McCartney fan, so I'm only really looking at his stuff. Might not work as well in different contexts.

I'm thinking about using:
Little Willow
Somedays
I Will
Blackbird (though Blue thinks this is horribly inappropriate, which it may well be ;))
Little Willow might be a little inappropriate too. Beautiful song, but isn't it about Maureen Starkey (Ringo's first wife) dying of cancer?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Yeah, yeah - I know it's also a sad song - but... a sad song may be appropriate for a dance with my dad due to our not-so-fabulous relationship. And it's a pretty song. I particularly like this bit:

Nothing's gonna shake your love
Take your love away
No one's out to break your heart
It only seems that way...hey

Seems appropriate somehow.

But yeah - maybe not a good suggestion for someone else ;)
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Grow Old With Me
When I Fall In Love
All These Things
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Thanks but no has anymore??!!..I thought for sure this board wouldb be brimming with all kinds of interesting suggestions!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm saving my ideas for my own wedding next summer 8)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

BlueChair wrote:I'm saving my ideas for my own wedding next summer 8)
What, we can't share? :P
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The last wedding I played at the bride and groom entered the reception to 'London Calling' (they were moving there the following week), their first dance was 'By My Side' by Ben Harper, a lovely and simple song, and the dad-daughter dance was to All You Need is Love by the Beatles.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Is it just me, or would "All You Need Is Love" be incredibly hard to dance to?

I do not remember what music was playing at our wedding. It was a really long time (and 4 kids) ago. I'd pick Christmas In Prison for our first dance, if I were picking today.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

mood swung wrote:Is it just me, or would "All You Need Is Love" be incredibly hard to dance to?
LOL!!...I think it would be...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The song is already in waltz time for the most part, we just 'waltzed' it up a bit- a grand time was had by all, and 200 guests sang the refrain at the top of their lungs!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Ron Sexsmith's "How On Earth".

Dreams come true in Heaven all the time
Baby how on earth
Did we happen upon this love divine
Baby how on earth
Did we find us
Down here where people get hurt
Baby how on earth
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Another great Beatles tune for a wedding is "In My Life." That might be the best love song ever written.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

noiseradio wrote:Another great Beatles tune for a wedding is "In My Life." That might be the best love song ever written.

Love that song!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Let me recommend Neko Case - just something about the mood in the music that to my mind would perfectly suit a march down the aisle.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Tim(e) wrote:Let me recommend Neko Case - just something about the mood in the music that to my mind would perfectly suit a march down the aisle.
Indeed. "Things That Scare Me" or "Lion's Jaws" would work perfectly!

:wink: :wink:

Do you have Fox Confessor, Tim? What an album!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Tim(e) wrote:Let me recommend Neko Case - just something about the mood in the music that to my mind would perfectly suit a march down the aisle.
I love Neko...what songs were you thinking of?
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

marblefaun wrote:
I love Neko...what songs were you thinking of?
Yep, I was thinking of Lion's Jaws off Fox Confessor or Deep Red Bells off Blacklisted (also agree with WSS on Things That Scare Me - although it might end up a jog down the aisle as opposed to a walk ;) )
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

For my wedding, first dance was "You Do Something To Me" by Ella Fitzgerald. Liked the song so much that when we had our daughter a few years later, we named her Ella!

Cut the cake to The Beatles' In My Life

Did the walk-in to the reception, with all the bridesmaids and groomsmen to Shaft. Seriously. It was a lot of fun, took the stuffiness right out!

Other songs we played -
I Cant Believe You're In Love With Me - Billie Holiday
Nothing Can Change This Love I Have - Sam Cooke (Cupid's a good one too)
God Only Knows, Wouldnt It Be Nice, Dont Worry Baby
Anthology version of the Beatles' Something
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

OK..here is one last attempt. Unfortunately, we still don't have processional music and the wedding is this weekend!!!..the idea is instrumental.
Anyone have any unique ideas???