Allen Toussaint 'Songbook' ( Live at Joe's Pub), Sept. '13

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Re: Allen Toussaint

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.buzzine.com/2009/03/allen-toussaint/

9 March 2009

Allen Toussaint

Q&A at the Grammy Museum Celebrity Series

Melissa Berry
Contributing Writer

Allen Toussaint is a conjurer, and I was truly conjured by him this particular evening, although I have been for years with his songwriting and record producing. But now, in person, alone in an intimate setting with a black Baby Grand expectantly waiting for his magical touch, as were we all, it felt like a kind of time travel. The only other presence on the stage was Robert Santelli, the knowledgeable and charming executive director of the GRAMMY museum, who hosted the evening. It was all so relaxed and cozy.

All I could think when I heard Mr. Toussaint’s mellifluous and genteel…make that buttery, syrupy, honeyed voice was, “Come on, Allan, gimme a little sumpin’, sumpin’.” And he did. After “Workin’ in a coal mine, goin’ down, down, down,” we “Went to the fortune teller, had my fortune read,” and then went to the “Land of a thousand dances.” It was a truly exhilarating musical journey through “Nawlins” which left me wanting gumbo, warm powdery beignets, and coffee with chicory, even though I’ve never been there. Some of the R&B standards that I’ve known forever from Dr. John the Night Tripper (and his satchel of gris-gris and Mama Roux!), Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, Lee Dorsey and others with that “Nawlins” riff, unbeknownst to me, have Mr. Toussaint to thank. There’s something so special about hearing music directly from the source in tandem with the history that goes with it.

Informal, conversational and informative, this evening was being filmed for the GRAMMY Museum archives. Mr. Toussaint wasn’t shy about the subject of racism and segregation and how it affected his music. From what he said, it seemed that in New Orleans, after WWII but before integration, there were “shotgun houses” with “their commonalities.” I guess that means everything that goes with it. He explained that a “shotgun house” typically has one room leading into the next without hallways. Although people often say these are called shotgun houses because a bullet fired through the front door would go right out the backdoor without hitting a wall, there’s also the theory that suggests that this name is actually a corruption of the word “shogon.” In West Africa, “shogon” means “God’s House.”

Mr. Toussaint and his buddies knew where they could go and where they couldn’t go, but it wasn’t a problem. He said they’d say to each other, “Oh no, can’t go there.” But they’d follow it with, “Don’t wanna go there anyway.” They had what they wanted right where they were, so he doesn’t remember it as the taste of such a bitter pill. They were as “poor as Job’s turkey,” but there was live music, if you knew where to look, with that “jango” blues and “that trumpet kind of thing,” and lastly boogie woogie. He told us when he heard it, he said to himself, “I have to have some of that.” To add to this, he was captured by radio and that music which was there for him whenever he wanted it, which was all of the time.

New Orleans was musically piano-based, and fortunately, his parents bought an old piano for one of his siblings which he immediately took a shine to. He’d learn music off the radio and immediately put it to the piano. He laughingly told us about one big piece of classical music that he learned by ear, but since the piano was out of tune, instead of learning it being in the key of A as it was written, he put the whole thing one-half step up to B flat minor to match what he heard on the radio. This meant that not only was the piece transposed, but the piano was so out of tune anyway that it sounded like the whole thing was being played on a “tack piano,” which is a piano intentionally given a tinny sound. Obviously, this was still music to his ears and didn’t deter him at all.

And then, along came Professor Longhair, the “Bach of Rock.” He was called the Bach of Rock and Roll for the clarity, varied and extremely accurate and “funky” syncopation, and the beautiful tone of his piano playing. Mr. Toussaint compared Professor Longhair’s music to the Bach 2 and 3 Part Inventions. Apparently Professor Longhair said that he felt musically much more removed from his own “inventions” than he felt from the Bach Inventions.

It seems that the more Mr. Toussaint knew about music, the more “intensively/intensely” he wanted to know it. The harmonics of acoustic instruments and their possibilities fascinated him. “They put a little snog on debonair.” Snog? Snog: To interface passionately with another being, creating a field of physical obsession and focused arousal + centered on the lips, mouth and tongue. That needed no further explanation -– I got it. In fact, I think I’ve even had it.

With the introduction of acoustic instruments to his musical bouillabaisse, the recordings started with him writing out all the parts. Two tracks. One for vocals and one for the band. We all know that then was then and now is now, and now is way removed from two tracks. His studio experiences make for an abundance of touching adages. He quoted Quincy Jones as saying, “Leave the door open so God can walk in,” and Elvis Costello summing up their collaboration on “River in Reverse” “not as a drowning but as a baptism.”

Without us even realizing it, he gracefully and skillfully segued into “Southern Nights” and hypnotized us with a tale about his family as he accompanied himself on the piano — his left hand never losing contact with the keyboard while his right hand seductively conducted us through the story. His music moved us dreamily through the journey. His story told us about his own family with a background not unlike what his father had said about putting all sorts of music together. His father had told him that “if you were going to do things your way, stubbornly maintaining what you mistook for your integrity, it wasn’t going to happen.” He mentioned another family member who never said anything because she knew everything anyway. And isn’t that the way it usually is with a cadre?

After all this, there was a brief Q&A session. I couldn’t imagine what anyone would need to ask. I know I felt perfectly and peacefully sated. But of course, there was some blowhard in the audience who just had to ask Mr. Toussaint a very academically serious question about his use of the pentatonic scale. Toussaint got him good. He simply told him to always use the black keys and you’ll have the perfect pentatonic scale for the music of any culture. And he’s absolutely right. So there’s a little sumpin’ sumpin’ for you, Mr. Ethnomusicologist-type person.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Free this week (April 13 '09) on Rocksbackpages -

MR BIG EASY - Allen Toussaint, genius of New Orleans soul and funk, championed by Charlie Gillett (1971)

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/article.h ... cleID=3650

interviewed by Rob Partridge (1973)

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/article.h ... cleID=8692

and Joe "Mr. C" McEwen (1974)

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/article.h ... cleID=4007
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The writer of this comments on listserv -

The editor has made a few questionable alterations to my original text
-- such as my original "His playing has an effortless virtuosity" has been
puzzlingly changed to "His playing is effortlessly virtuous", but
nonetheless I expect you'll catch my drift.

http://www.jezebelmusic.com/3127/allen-toussaint/

April 15, 2009
Allen Toussaint

HOLY MUSICIAN, BATMAN…

by Justin Remer

This is slightly embarrassing, but I owe a lot of my musical education to Elvis Costello.
As hip as I sometimes seem to my uninitiated friends, a lot of the artists I’ve come to love over the years have been people Elvis Costello pointed me to. For instance, I would love to think I still would have found Gram Parsons and George Jones and James Carr on my own even if Elvis C. hadn’t covered them and talked them up in interviews. But I’m not so sure. Similarly, if Costello hadn’t collaborated with the New Orleans piano man Allen Toussaint, it’s possible his work would have passed me by.

But then again, maybe not. After all, this is the guy who’s responsible for writing “Working in a Coalmine,” “Yes We Can,” “Southern Nights,” and “Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky From Now On.” Surely, I would have come upon these songs eventually.

Allen Toussaint has been a busy man. He has written and produced literally hundreds of songs, for the likes of LaBelle (he twirled the knobs on “Lady Marmalade”), The Meters, and Lee Dorsey (whose Toussaint-guided album Yes We Can is a masterpiece that is criminally less famous than it should be). He writes funky horn arrangements like no one else, including some work on a handful of The Band’s ‘70s albums and Paul Simon’s second post-Garfunkel album. It’s easy to see why the man is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Why he’s pigeonholed in the “non-performer” section of the Hall is a bit more confusing. After all, his drawly tenor works nicely when he’s singing lead or when he takes backup, and he can play the piano like a mother.

Now I’m no expert on New Orleans music, but it’s impossible for anyone who’s not tone-deaf to deny the distinctive flavor of the music from that region. Even in the more straightforward realms of New Orleans pop and funk, there is still a subtle undercurrent of old-school Dixieland jazz that gives the music a timelessness.

In 1975, Paul McCartney was looking for that New Orleans magic for Wings’ Venus and Mars album, so he set up his sessions in NOLA and recruited Allen Toussaint – ever the ready session player – to handle the keys. Often, Toussaint’s work on the album is restrained or barely noticeable under the layers of McCartney’s symphonic pop overdubs, but laying down a looping groove during the coda of “Rock Show” or creating a ragtime foundation for the proto-twee “You Gave Me the Answer,” Toussaint takes center stage without hogging the spotlight. His playing is effortlessly virtuous, yet also pretty humble.

Whether it’s adding a vibe of bar-room boogie to Lee Dorsey’s 1961 hit “Ya Ya” or heightening the melodrama of Elvis Costello’s bitter 1989 ballad “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,” Toussaint makes his playing integral to the piece without seeming like a show-off. Toussaint can play circles around more theatrical performers like Jerry Lee Lewis, but I doubt he would be so vain as to admit it.

Even on his excellent ‘70s solo albums, Toussaint the Producer is satisfied to let the whole ensemble of musicians he’s assembled outshine Toussaint the Performer. Considering that on 1972’s Life, Love, and Faith, he’s backed by New Orleans funk masters The Meters, this is probably a somewhat advantageous move. On my favorite track from this album, the infectious Black-is-beautiful pick-up attempt “Soul Sister,” Toussaint’s piano is almost entirely subsumed by the band, except for a few choice low-register rumbles and high-register flourishes.

It’s likely, in part, Toussaint’s experience as a Hall of Fame “non-performer” that allows him to see the full scope of a piece and better understand the pocket he needs to be in when he plays – whether his name is in large print on the front of the album or just buried in the liner notes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The best venue in Dublin -

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180042B5DA04561E

Allen Toussaint
Whelans
Dublin
Mon 13 Jul 2009, 20:00

What's killing me is that early that same July morning I fly to France to see , two days later, U2 in Nice. Feck and
triple feck!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Would be cool to jet into Dublin and see him there on my birthday...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Magical show. Rarely have I seen an audience so enthralled by an artist. There wasn't a dud track all evening, Allen clearly was touched by the reaction. No mention of Elvis, Frankie Miller was the only one from these parts to be credited before a great version of Brickyard Blues. He did all his hits, including the song from this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZ-6y2UEfM ,
an entrancing version of Southern Nights, including a riveting account of the childhood incidents that inspired it, and finished off with a great version of Marty Robbins El Paso, the audience participation genuinely moved him. A wonderful evening.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Glad you're getting to see the magic he spins here regularly.

Now that he's doing his solo and jazz and jazzfest shows you can often see completely different shows in slightly different venues pretty close together - it's worth looking out for
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

AT's new album is seriously good.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
jmm

Post by jmm »

Agree that it's excellent. You should hear the live jazz show it's amazing (and I'm not that big on jazz)
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

AT just bleeds good feeling. The last two times I saw him the DC area he was brilliant. Also agree about his latest jazz disc.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A U.K. label has re-issued some Allen Toussaint produced Lee Dorsey albums -

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola/artists/leedorsey.php
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Allen promotes his show in Dublin next Tues. Funnily enough , this feature usually has a jokey question -'Groupies -would you?' . Maybe it was dropped. If so , that's a pity - Allen would be well up to a witty response.

I wasn't going to go to the show because it's in a rather formal concert hall , not as good as the more intimate Whelans venue he played last year ( which I missed 'cos I was away). Then I got e-mail yesterday offering a reduced price on tickets so I decided maybe I'll give it a go. Hopefully it'll be as good as the shows I saw Allen do with a band in London a few years and , of course, the Liverpool/London shows he did with Elvis 'n co..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/the ... 21028.html

The Irish Times - Friday, July 30, 2010

Allen Toussaint

What’s on your rider?

Instrument requirements, bottled sparkling water, sodas and tea.

What would be on your fantasy rider?

Not much more than what is on my rider as is.

What’s your pre-gig ritual/ routine?

I draw up a set list, get with the band, if there be one, and talk or think about the songs and the audience.

How do you get to the gig – limo, taxi, walking?

Usually by limo or town car.

What’s the best gig you’ve been to?

Every gig is the best gig because every audience and performance offers something different in the way the music and I am accepted.

And the worst?

I haven’t experienced it yet, but I would think if someone left unhappy or in the middle of the set, that would be the worst.

What are your favourite and least favourite venues?

I appreciate everywhere I am.

Who is the most famous person to have shown up at one of your gigs?

Madonna, perhaps. It has been many years but that was certainly a surprise to have her in the audience at the Vanguard.

What’s your crowd-pleasing number?

Hard to say. I think people enjoy Southern Nights, Mother-in-Law and Yes We Can Can.

Chatting between songs – good or bad?

Chatting between songs is a very new experience, so I’m not sure if it is going good or bad yet. I’m getting more comfortable with it.

How many roadies does it take to change your light bulbs? (ie, how big is your entourage?)

A party of one.

Have you a special stage wardrobe? Yes, to a degree.

Do you like to meet and greet fans after the gig?

Yes, very much so.

Any useful stage tips?

Be prepared.

What’s the worst thing ever thrown at you?

I haven’t had anything thrown at me, I’m happy to say.

* In conversation with Tony Clayton-Lea. Allen Toussaint plays the National Concert Hall, Dublin, on Tuesday
johnfoyle

Re: Allen Toussaint plays Dublin , August 3 '10

Post by johnfoyle »

Another superb show from Allen, all the faves., interspersed with witty comments. Afterwards he was glad to sign stuff and talk about artwork on the 12" vinyl sleeves etc. A true gent. The only downer was the venue , the stuffy , overly formal NCH which ,sadly, was half full , with people only being seated down in the stalls.

This F/book album of photos can be seen even if your not on F/book-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... f764641146

Including -

Allen Toussaint, The National Concert Hall, Dublin, Aug. 3 '10

Pointing out detail on the Southern Nights sleeve.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Glad he delivered as usual John. Was it a solo show?

Looking forward to his upcoming shows in the US with what looks like a new band configuration
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just Allen 'n a grand piano.

Allen now has a pretty groovy website -

http://www.allentoussaint.com/

Will it get a bio. full of lies 'n distortion?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A pretty comprehensive compliation of Allen's early work is on the way.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Do-G ... 936&sr=1-6

Everything I Do Gonh Be Funky [Double CD]

Allen Toussaint

February 28, 2011

CD Description

50 Tracks On A 2cd Digibook Set Featuring The New Orleans Legend's Solo Recordings Plus His Greatest Production Hits For Lee Dorsey, The Meters, Ernie K. Doe And More

This collection covers 20 years of his remarkable career, beginning with his first appearances on record as a session pianist, his first solo recordings in 1958 under the name Al Tousan and ends in the `70s with his timeless songs and productions for artists like Lee Dorsey and The Meters. In between we'll hear his original versions of tunes recorded by Al Hirt and Herb Alpert and the original versions of songs that he wrote and/or produced that later became famous in versions by The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Herman's Hermits, The Dave Clark Five, Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett.

Disc: 1

1. I Want You To Know - Fats Domino (1957)
2. Walkin' With Mr. Lee - Lee Allen (1957)
3. Tic Toc - Lee Allen (1957)
4. Young Schoolgirl - Fats Domino (1958)
5. I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday - Fats Domino (1958)
6. Whirlaway - Al Tousan (1958)
7. Happy Times - Al Tousan (1958)
8. Java - Al Tousan (1958)
9. Wham Tousan - Al Tousan (1958)
10. Naomi - Al Tousan (1959)
11. Moo Moo - Al Tousan (1959)
12. Beverly Baby - Allen And Allen
13. Heavenly Baby - Allen And Allen
14. Tiddle Winks - Allen And Allen
15. Whipped Cream - The Stokes
16. Pie Crust - The Stokes
17. Banana Split - The Stokes
18. Fat Cat - The Stokes
19. Young Man Old Man - The Stokes
20. Poor Boy Got To Move - Allen Toussaint & The Stokes
21. Go Back Home - Allen Toussaint & The Stokes
22. Omar Khayyam - The Rubyiats
23. Tomorrow- The Rubyiats
24. Baby Do Liddle - Willie And Allen
25. I Don't Need One - Willie And Allen

Disc: 2

1. Ooh Poo Pah Doo Pts 1 & 2 - Jessie Hill
2. Over You - Aaron Neville
3. Mother In Law - Ernie K Doe
4. A Certain Girl - Ernie K Doe
5. Fortune Teller - Benny Spellman
6. Lipstick Traces - Benny Spellman
7. Its Raining - Irma Thomas
8. Wrong Number - Aaron Neville
9. Ruler Of My Heart - Irma Thomas
10. I Like It Like That Pt 1 - Chris Kenner
11. I Like It Like That Pt 2 - Chris Kenner
12. All These Things - Art Neville
13. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
14. It Will Stand - The Showmen
15. Hot Tamales Pt 1 - The Primemates
16. Hot Tamales Pt 2 - The Primemates
17. Nearer To You - Betty Harris
18. I'm Evil Tonight - Betty Harris
19. Working In A Coal Mine - Lee Dorsey
20. Holy Cow - Lee Dorsey
21. Everything I Do Gohn Be Funky (From Now On) - Lee Dorsey
22. Sophisticated Cissy - The Meters
23. Look A Py Py - The Meters
24. Yes We Can - Lee Dorsey
25. Night People - Lee Dorsey

This blog continues to highlight aspects of Allen's career-

http://homeofthegroove.blogspot.com/
johnfoyle

Re: New Allen Toussaint compilation, Feb. '11

Post by johnfoyle »

Allen has a pretty tasty sounding gig coming up-

http://www.marcribot.com/tour.jsp

August 14, 2011

Jazz Middelheim - Antwerp, Belgium

ALLEN TOUSSAINT & MARC RIBOT DUO
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Allen Toussaint /Marc Ribot in concert, Belgium, Aug 14

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Goddam. I hope a boot surfaces.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

johnfoyle wrote:This F/book album of photos can be seen even if your not on F/book
Rather belatedly checking out these photos. As well as the wonderful AT ones, enjoyed the 40 Foot (by the Joyce Martello tower!) and Seville!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
jmm

Post by jmm »

their interaction at the AT Village Vanguard shows (along with the other musicians) was truly impressive!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Goddam. I hope a boot surfaces.
Belgian radiostation "Klara" is going to broadcast all the concerts: http://radio.klara.be/radio/10_jazzmiddelheim.php
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sounds worth checking out!

http://www.joncleary.com/

"Having fun with the songs of Allen Toussaint" is how Jon Cleary describes his new record...
a celebration of great songs put through Cleary's unique set of funky filters. Featuring Mac Rebbenack (Dr. John), Bonnie Raitt and The Absolute Monster Gentlemen, there are unexpected twists and turns on this journey through the Toussaint songbook that will keep suprising you till the last piano glissando fades away.
johnfoyle

Re: "Having fun with the songs of Toussaint" - Jon Cleary

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rounder.com/2013/07/news/new ... -interview

On September 24, 2013, Rounder will release Allen Toussaint’s Songbook, featuring performances of twenty five of Toussaint’s songs captured on CD and DVD. The album and accompanying DVD were recorded over two nights in the fall of 2009 at venerable New York City nightspot Joe’s Pub. The DVD includes an in-depth interview with Toussaint, conducted by producer (and longtime friend) Paul Siegel.

The Rounder release will offer a deluxe version which will include a CD with 25 songs and a 90-minute DVD that features the second of two live performance filmed at Joe’s Pub in September 2009, plus a 25-minute studio interview; and a standard CD that offers 12 of Toussaint’s classic compositions interpreted by the legendary songsmith himself.

The list of those who have benefited in one way or another from Allen Toussaint’s touch is staggering in its historic and stylistic range, stretching from the late 1950s to the present day, with no end in sight. His studio productions have sold millions of discs and downloads. His catalog of songs has generated hits on the pop, R&B, country and dance charts, and many remain on heavy rotation in various radio formats. His tunes continue to pop up as TV themes and advertising jingles. He has an ever-growing international circle of fans, and though previously reluctant to tour, in recent years he’s become a more familiar figure at music festivals and popular nightclubs around the world.

Though Toussaint has begun to travel far and wide as of late, he never stays away from New Orleans for long – and his music never does. In so many ways, his enduring career — as this collection so vividly illustrates — serves as an ongoing tribute to the city of his birth.

In the last fifteen years, Toussaint has experienced a growing resurgence of activity and recognition. Since ’96, he’s recorded seven albums and collaborated with the likes of Elvis Costello and Eric Clapton. He’s been Grammy® nominated and inducted into a number of Halls of Fame. He’s been sampled by such hip-hop heavyweights as O.D.B., Biz Markie, KRS One and OutKast, and appeared nationally on TV and radio – often on the urging of such longtime fans as Paul Shaffer and Harry Shearer, and most recently on the HBO series Treme.

With a honed sense of dry humor, Toussaint calls 2005’s Hurricane Katrina his booking agent, crediting the storm for rebooting his career as a performer after flooding him out of home and studio. In order to recover – financially, musically, spiritually – Toussaint relocated to New York City and began to perform solo concerts, using Joe’s Pub on Lafayette Street as a home base. Buoyed by a groundswell of support, he worked at something that years of success in the studio had allowed him to avoid: getting truly comfortable on the stage by himself, laying claim to his own songs.

Modesty had a lot to do with it; Allen Toussaint still is not the first person one would go to for information on Allen Toussaint. “I’m not accustomed to talking about myself,” he once explained during a gig, “I talk in the studio with musicians. Or through my songs.”

But over time, Toussaint developed his act – resurrecting material he hadn’t touched in years, taking chances and improvising on established melodies, weaving personal anecdotes into his stage patter. He laced his music with memories of street characters and soul sisters, funky clubs and big-time successes. His show became his story, and his story came together and began to flow – which brings us to the musical treasure before you.

The what, when and how of this collection is comprehensively explained by its creator Paul Siegel – a veteran video producer, and lifelong enthusiast of Toussaint’s work. As this DVD is an important historical document and an overdue personal testament from a musical genius to his fans, it also stands as a tribute to Siegel’s passion for a man who – like too many of New Orleans’s heroes – often evades the national radar.

Nearly eight years after Katrina, New Orleans continues to recover, and Toussaint has returned permanently to the city he never truly left. Give him the heat and the humidity, the spice and the rice, the funky sound of a Second Line and the cool feel of a southern night. “I apologize,” Toussaint sings, “to anyone who can truly say that he has a found a better way.”

*Abridged, from notes by Ashley Kahn, May 2013

http://www.jambands.com/news/2013/07/09 ... t-songbook

Songbook CD Tracklist:

1. It’s Raining

2. Lipstick Traces

3. Brickyard Blues

4. With You in Mind

5. Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further?

6. Sweet Touch of Love

7. Holy Cow

8. Get Out of My Life, Woman

9. Freedom for the Stallion

10. St. James Infirmary

11. Shrimp Po Boy (Dressed)

12. Soul Sister

13. All These Things

14. We Are America/Yes We Can

15. Optimism Blues

16. Old Records Certain Girl Medley: Certain Girl/Mother-in-Law/Fortune Teller/Working in a Coal Mine

17. New Orleans Thing

18. Crawfish, Everyday

19. No Place Like New York

20. Southern Nights

Songbook DVD Tracklist

1. It’s Raining

2. Lipstick Traces

3. Brickyard Blues

4. With You in Mind

5. Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further?

6. Sweet Touch of Love

7. Holy Cow

8. Get Out My Life, Woman

9. St. James Infirmary

10. Shrimp Po Boy (Dressed)

11. Soul Sister

12. All These Things

13. We Are America/Yes We Can

14. Old Records

15. Lover Of Love

16. Certain Girl Medley: Certain Girl/ Mother-in-Law/ Fortune Teller/ Working In A Coal Mine

17. New Orleans Thing

18. Crawfish, Everyday

19. No Place Like New York

20. Southern Nights

21. Freedom For The Stallion