World Cup Fantasy League (Spoilers Ahoy!)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'll say Brazil/Argentina. Argentina to beat the Brazilian show ponies in the final.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

That would be damned exciting, with all that South American passion raging! Boston would go nuts, with substantial populations from both countries, though Brazil in particular.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I reckon Arg v Braz too, but let's do it step by step. Quartees

Germ v Arg
Ital v Switz
Braz v Spain
Port v Holl

Semis:

Arg v Ital
Braz v Eng (we can do it and can get revenge over Portugal for 2004. OK, we'll probably lose to them, but this is what I want to happen)

This is assuming that Arg maintain the form they showed againsst Serbia and Brazil play more of their younger players as they did against Japan.

My FF team is based on Arg and Italy keeping a nice clean sheet in the second round.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Boy was that easy for Germany. 2-0: my prediction spot on, which is good. Other all went for 2-1. Interesting from the commentator how poor they looked when they played Italy in March, and now they're looking formidable, though Sweden were very shaky. Lahm and Klose sound choices. Dang, WSS has Crespo as cap'n! Hmmm. Contemplated him and decided not. I wanted Riquelme as captain, but also either Kaka or Ronaldinho, and couldn't make it work. Went for Ronnie as captaqin again, on the basis that he'll suddenly turn it on v Ghana. And Rooney! Why not?

It's hard to concentrate on anything else, isn't it? Two weeks and it will all be over for 4 years! I'm salivating over the prospects of the fixtures to come.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Metro only has four points for Crespo as captain - why? Should be at least ten, shouldn't it? He did not get carded.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What a stunner by Maxi Pad!

Crespo now officially credited with the goal - whew!

Lots of German and Argie players selected by people in our league. I have no idea what to expect from Portugal-Holland so decided to steer clear of that one entirely.
Otis Westinghouse

BBC reckoned it was wrong to give Crespo goal. Shame they don't have the last say on Metro! Maxi Rod my man! Nice goal. Fuck nice, total killer of a goal. People say Cole got lucky the other day with his, which I find a bit cynical, but no way could you say that of Maxi. Superb judgement. Messi, birthday, like Riquelme, looked amazing. They should start with him. What a game. Wow. Let's hope there are a few more like this to come. Germ v swede way too easy, and I really thought this would be the same (3-0 prediction!), but my god didn't Mexico fly out of the blocks! No surprise when Marquez scored, and a real fight was on the Argies' hands. The pace of the first half, the containment of the second half, and the assertion of superiority in ET. Fabulous. If Mexico had a strong strike force, not Borgetti, they could easily have won it in 90.

I'm sure England can do it tomorrow, come on Rooney (but no goals tomorrow, Joe, thanks, too many have you in their teams!), really don't know what to predict with Port v Hol. Port the stronger side on paper, but never underestimate the potential to score of Van N and Van P nor Robben. Draw at 90 mins?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I suppose that FIFA have the final word on goals and they've given it to Hernan, so I'll take my dubious goal and we'll call it square for that non-penalty that Appiah scored for you against the 11 valiant warriors from the greatest democracy Earth has ever seen. *ahem*
Otis Westinghouse

Chancy Chelsea player!
Mechanical Grace

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I reckon Arg v Braz too, but let's do it step by step. Quartees

Germ v Arg
Ital v Switz
Braz v Spain
Port v Holl
How can that last one be if they're playing each other this round?

My guess is

Germany v. Argentina (known)
Italy v. Ukraine
England v. Portugal
Brazil v. Spain

then

Germany v. Ukraine
Portugal v Brazil

then

Germany v. Brazil

leading to ????
Otis Westinghouse

OK, smart arse. It was 5 to 4 and I rushed that one!

Eng v Port as you have it.

Germ v Ukraine!!! Over my dead body. Germany on this form could beat Arg, but I doubt it. Would like to see Messi play the full game though, he makes a difference. Not unless most of the A team get banged up for corruption can Ukraine put out Italy! Ukraine are lucky to have got this far. They're basically a one-man team with a couple of also rans.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Germany win it, provided it involves as many shots of the repugnant face of Kahn on the bench just staring at Lehmann. Short of being able to insert red-hot pokers into hiss eyeballs, that is torture enough for my requirements!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I could see Ukraine beating Switzerland now that Senderos is out. I'm a bit surprised that so many players in our league have chosen Zuberwhatshisname as their goalkeeper.

Abbondanza only got me two points today - a bit disappointing as I did not expect El Tri to score against him. Nicely taken goal by macho man Marquez.
Otis Westinghouse

Zuberbuehler appealed as top goalie thus far, without a single goal against him. Agree Senderos will make a diff, and quite a few (in my work league mainly, perhaps) have Senderos, which is great news! I can see Ukraine winning the 2nd round, but never the quarter, unless something seriously weird happened, which would be fun.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I predict that I will continue to do tongue in cheek posts that the ************yanks************ misinterpret.

I will continue to say Grace.
signed with love and vicious kisses
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

My guess for quarterfinals :

Germany v. Argentina
Australia v. Ukraine :D
England v. Portugal
Brazil v. Spain

Semis :

Germany v. Australia
Portugal v Brazil

And the final : Germany - Brazil

Yes, I think Hiddink is going to do it again. It will be his third Semifinal in a row, with three different teams.
Or maybe my brain is melting in this heat. :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Watched the first half of England-Ecuador then decided I had more important things to do, so I missed Beckham's goal while I was re-arranging my sock drawer.
Mechanical Grace

It was pretty dull, but I'm glad England came out on top in the end. Now for some Portuguese FF points, and more tomorrow from Juan, Kaka (and Juninho as sub, if it comes to that-- kinda wished they hadn't bothered with Messi yesterday as I suspect I'd have done better with my sub!).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, can't believe what I just saw. A match utterly ruined by a ref who lost control. Very entertaining, but FIFA really need to take a look at their policy on yellow cards. Nicely taken goal by Maniche Boy, but Portugal lost so many key players that even England might be able to defeat them in the next round (then again, with Sven in charge it will probably be an incredibly dull affair). Players diving around like Jacques Cousteau, nasty challenges, pushing, shoving. Real blood and thunder football. I didn't know what to expect from this game and in the end we got a match that nobody could have predicted.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I think the England player have been watching too many Chelsea games. Dull but winning football, thought you'd be used to that.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

4-1-4-1 not really working, despite a decent enough Carrick performance. Rooney looking sharp in second half (though I was terrified he'd get booked, as he was in my FF), but needs a fir Michael Owen ahead of him. Or Jermaine Defoe. Cole good, Hargreaves OK. Defence solid enough apart from Terry nearly giving them a goal. Lampard still unable to deliver. Beckham justifies his presence - what a stunner! Made me laugh that most of their players play at Quito clubs, and yet they put up a good enough fight. All these overpaid Premboys, not to mention the Ligaboy and Bundesligaboy weren't able to dominate at all. It would be nice to see England with a Hiddink... Still, I just don't believe the Ozzies can put out Italy. Wish I had the week off.

Astonishing display bvy mad Russian ref. Missed most of game, but it just seemed insane when I joined at the end. Good news for Eng, sure, but this is the World Cup, for crying out loud. Figo should be banned for headbutt, and may well be yet, but ref should be banned too!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:I think the England player have been watching too many Chelsea games. Dull but winning football, thought you'd be used to that.
Not rising to the bait, but nice try! You're not getting all defensively patriotic on us, are you?

Otis, I didn't see much in Figo's headbutt. In fact, he barely touched Van Bommel. The ref just lost all control of the game and you could see it coming before half time. This World Cup has seen some pretty awful refereeing - Merk's penalty decision in the US-Ghana match, Poll's three yellow cards, today's debacle. On the other hand, there have been some spectacular goals scored and plenty of edge-of-your-seat matches (at least when England hasn't been involved. :wink:)

By the way, what is the story behind tight shirts Van Basten and his coaching staff were wearing on the touchline? Looked like they escaped from Chippendale's.

Another looky-likey...

Little Carmine Lupertazzi (Sopranos)...

Ricardo...

invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Time for a bit of entertainment.

Here's a collection of amazing goals. Own goals, to be precise. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiUfjd30 ... own%20goal

And this own goal was scored in Serie A by Marco Materazzi :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRB1AU_- ... =materazzi

Here's to Marco surprising Buffon in today's game !!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
alexv

Post by alexv »

Question from a novice: how is the amount of extra time arrived at? From watching a lot of Cup games, it seems that 3 minutes is a popular number, and for the life of me I can't see how it has any connection to the actual time during the game when the game is stopped for injuries etc. In the Portugal/Netherlands game I think 6 minutes were handed out, and that seemed utterly ridiculous. At least 10 minutes, and probably more was lost with all the nonsense. And what happens during stoppages that occur during the added time? Obviously, extra time has to stop at some point. Is the clock stopped by the ref during extra time? Extra time seems to me to be hugely important in these Cup games that seem to all be so close, and it puzzles me how cavalierly it's treated (or maybe something is going on that I have no clue about). Has a system ever been tried where a clock in the stadium is actually stopped during stoppages and then restarted when play resumes, to serve as a guide to the referee in figuring out the amount of extra time to allot?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Gene Hackman

Scolari

Dull but winning football
The part where Beckham threw up on his shoes was fun.

Actually, that game was the most fun for the Swungs because I was for ECK-WAH-DOR! and #2 son was for England and the trashtalking got out of control.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mechanical Grace

You know, I missed the Beckham ralph, dammit. 8)

I wimped out on including any Italians (or Australians) on my FF squad, but my guess is Italy, 2-1.

So you may now count on that being utterly wrong! :o