World Cup Fantasy League (Spoilers Ahoy!)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verena

Post by verena »

Hi guys !

I've been following soccer games this year more than I ever did. Watching the French has been more than painfull, save for the second part of the game against Spain (who made nasty fun of us, well, too bad).

I can't loose this afternoon also WSS, whether England wins or Portugal I will be just fine. Sure tonight will be harder. But you never know what the French are up to. Particularly when they stop fighting against themselves... :?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No offence, but Brazil have to win! I enjoyed '98, but I don't like Domenech and I want to see him be humiliated today! I was also really pissed off that Spain couldn't for once get their act together.

On the telly here they comment on how the French love Ribery, and he had to be in the squad by popular demand, and this is cited as a reason why the superior Giuly has been left out (despite scoring against Spain, Ribery was spectacularly bad in round 1, missing some easy chances). A fscinating series here called World Cup Stories which the BBC ran pre-World Cup explored the French team and focussed a lot on the issue of seeming racial integration emerging through football in '98. 7 years on and it was just a flash in the pan. The country suffers racial divisions as ever, and it has been suggested that the French love Ribery precisely for not being black/Algerian. Discuss!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ribery missed a few sitters it's true (so has Henry), but he was outstanding against Spain. Good pace and dribbling, the ability to run at defenders - I've been impressed. He caused the Spaniards all sorts of headaches.

The Samba Boys decided they could just show up in Germany and take home the trophy. I'm sick of the hype surrounding them. Goofy's gone missing (he's created far less than a player like Lampard and has yet to be called out for it) and Adriano makes Drogba look graceful. The refs have also clearly been in their pocket.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

England need to bring on Bobby Charlton up front.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

When the "comb over" goes wrong.
echos myron like a siren
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The curse of penalties continues for England.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Will Rooney never grow up ? I know he's a fighter and he never lets go, but it's not the first time that he should think before he does anything as stupid.

Anyway, I know it won't help our English friends on this board, but it was certainly England's best performance in this World Cup.
Pity Lennon couldn't show his skills in earlier games.
verena

Post by verena »

Don't cry guys, you didn't loose. Thumb down to Ronaldo !!! He acted below everything (even though the English player he got expelled did something dirty). The French telly, who'd been earlier for Portugal, is not yet over such lack of class.

I'll revert, Otis, but not with an essay (I'm not applying for a teaching position at Harvard here, mind you ! :wink: )
verena

Post by verena »

Apologies, I didn't mean Ronaldo but the Portuguese captain (Ricardo ?).
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

*SIGH* :cry:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

England squandered a lot of golden oppurtunities to score, and Im afraid when it comes to penalties they have always been one of the worst teams around.
Roony lost his head, but Portugal where making the most of everything , clutching their faces and rolling about, it really was quite sickening.
England actually looked better when Beckham went off and Lennon came on - and as Otis has been saying - why hasnt he been playing all along?
echos myron like a siren
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Wow, France suddenly remember how to play great football. Zidane cuts the Brazilians up. Ribery had a great game too while he was on.
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Totally gutted. Really thought the boys would go all the way and at least make the final and probably win it and then... Zidane goes and ruins everything. Fair dues, France were the better team, no denying, though Brazil really should have foud a way through. Incredible how France have found their form. I pray that someone can stop the hosts. My heart is fully behind Italy.

Shame to see England go out as well.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A day of two upsets - go figure!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

invisible Pole wrote:I've chosen the risky way : no players from France or Italy, just one from Argentina. If I lose, I lose big time.
And I've got Rooney as well. Couldn't be fucking better. :x
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

twofuckingmanunitedplayersfuckitupforenglandrooneyisatwatandcronaldoisacunt butenglandweren'tgoodenougheventhoughportucheatswereworse.

Glad to see France beat the overrated Brazil, Ronaldinho has to be the major flop of the finals, at least fat boy (Ronaldo (not Rooneytwat)) got three goals. Zidane on the other hand was total class today - fantasy football. Portugal will get tonked.
Last edited by so lacklustre on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Portugal will get tonked.
I think you're right about that - and Zidane (a masterclass). Portugal had no ambition at all today, even after Rooney's sending off. You knew it was going to go to penalties well before the end of the second half.

Looking like a Germany/France final.
Otis Westinghouse

Fuck that, I may have been entirely wrong so far, but Italy will win it!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

At least you didn't make Rooney captain, Pole. :lol: Come on Italy!

David Walliams

Ashley Cole

Crazy Italian/Scouse hybrid bloke off BB6

Luca Toni
Otis Westinghouse

BWAP is ahead of me. Where did I go wrong? Two out of the three best FFers are yanks: official. Cue SLL...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Gee Otis, that wasn't very nice....on holiday next week so probably won't have time to reset my team before the final, you'll end up catching me.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Two out of the three best FFers are yanks: official. Cue SLL...
We are the Yanks and we are the best, we are the Yanks so fuck all the rest!! :wink: :wink:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

BWAP has a lucky pin. He put the crocked Owen in his team by mistake instead of the mad Rooney. Because Owen didn't play, his sub (some bastard Portuscum) came in and got 6 pts. FFS. Sam has it won, well done. I will continue to scrap for 2nd place. Can't see Italy or Portugal getting through.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

I can easily see Italy getting through, basically because they're better although clearly Klingsmann is the anti-Sven to the nth degree, because he's galvanised a team that was pretty average and made them look formidable. Home advantage is considerable, so no surprises if they do it. Could be a great game. Best game still remains Arg v Mex due to the sense of a titanic and very even battle. France v Braz is second. Portugal on an average day would easily eliminate the first round France, but not last night's France.

Sense of relief today getting up and knowing Sven's reign is over. Funny that it took Rooney's sending off to galvanise the team in the way he failed to as a manager and make them play their best football of the tournament, so in contrast to the Arse-perspective, Rooney's stamp/push was the best thing that happened to England, limping on with a giraffe for a striker but saying 'fuck, the indignation, let's DO something'. The red card will have much made off it, and Rooney still needs to undergo the process of maturing, as Beckham did, and his red card provided the impetus for that. He clearly needed to be more careful the way he came out of that tangle, though it's arguable to what extent there was sheer malice. Regardless of that, you don't stamp, esepcially near gonads. At the same time, the repulsive Ribery wasn't far off the same action when he flicked on his boot into [insert Brazilian name]'s leg, and this wasn't noticed. If the ref's report says it was for a push, then heaven help us.

Despite Maclaren's lack of Midd results with lots of cash, etc., he can't be as bad. Surely he will learn from all the commentary on Sven. At least he looks animated on the sideline, for crying out loud. Sven's legacy is one of failure based on a) poor formational grasp, b) lack of motivation and creation of team spirit and c) the most awful squad selection blunder in modern football.

BWAP, I'm genuinely impressed. I was sending up the 'yanks can't hack it at FF' attitude. WSS is stoppable - you just need one lucky move like picking a midfielder who scores and assists and keeps a clean sheet, as he did with Zambrotta, and then make him captain.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I can easily see Italy getting through, basically because they're better although clearly Klingsmann is the anti-Sven to the nth degree, because he's galvanised a team that was pretty average and made them look formidable.
Before the WC began there was some speculation over here that Klinsmann would eventually be named the next USA national team manager, becuase he's a "California guy" and lives near the training ground, I would say the chances of that happening now are about 5%.
then Otis Westinghouse wrote:BWAP, I'm genuinely impressed. I was sending up the 'yanks can't hack it at FF' attitude. WSS is stoppable - you just need one lucky move like picking a midfielder who scores and assists and keeps a clean sheet, as he did with Zambrotta, and then make him captain.
It was lucky for sure, but Zambrotta is a defender, not a midfielder - and he's a player I've liked for a long time, even though he does play for Juve. So there was some thought behind it. I agree that I could easily be caught, though I think it would take a fairly high-scoring game or two, which seems unlikely at this point, given the tightness of the quarterfinals. But you never know.

I'll probably revert to fantasy form once the Premiership season begins. The rigidity of the PL fantasy transfer system makes it very difficult to dig yourself out of a hole if you start poorly.

Why all the Ribery-hatin' Otis? He's been one of the more impressive new players in this World Cup. Almost as ugly as Rooney, but very talented. ManYoo could do a lot worse than sign him, though I've heard he's off to Lyon.