World Cup Fantasy League (Spoilers Ahoy!)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I'll try to hack my way back into it to make the trade. It seems to be beyond my intellectual capacity to manage a fantasy squad where each player in the league can only be on one team! What sort of fantasy is that anyway?

:)
Mechanical Grace

Dang it, I had this premonition about a German other than Klose scoring 2. Sadly I was sure it was Podolsky, not Schweinsteiger. :roll: And curse Figo for that last-minute marring of a clean sheet!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah, if only I'd had old Pigmounter as I did in group phase. Blew it with Klose as captain.

Signed that ugly bastard as the keeper most likely to keep a clean sheet and the bastard lets one in. Lehmann would have save that, you smirking tosspot. Actually, he pulled off some great saves. At least VG thought Lehmann was on, or maybe just didn't get as far as transfers. Portuguese goal buggered things for me in FF and precitions, which is going down to the wire (2 points between me and other contender...).

It's going to be an emotional evening. Can't wait.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Zidane

Phantom
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Nice one, Zidane
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

What a seriously ugly way to end a career. What words could possibly have been exchanged??
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Italy were outplayed for most of the game.
You gotta wonder what on earth could Materazzi have said to cause THAT reaction!
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Pathetic way to end his career. Thank God France didn't win and thank God he was sent off. Great player, tarnished reputation. Materazzi might have said 'Figlio di puta algeriano' or something of the sort, it doesn't matter, you don't do that. And in your last game. Sad, sad, sad. And the bastard has lost me FF points, not that I was bound for anything other than mediocrity. Good to see Italy win a penalty shoot out. Shame the Germ semi couldn't be the final.

I predicted 1-1 as the 90 minute result, and so win the predictions tournament for the second World Cup running. Jiust as well cos I've already visited the HMV sale with the winnings!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

France deserved to win despite Zizou's madness. Apart from a 25 minute spell in the 1st half, and then mainly from set pieces, Italy were clueless going forward. They have to go down as one of the poorest WC winners. The best game for me was France's win over Brazil when Zidane was imperious. Germany were good hosts and played some of the brightest football. Argentina should have done better but peaked too early. Brazil disappointed. So do the Englanders. The refereeing improved. Many players ruined the tournement for me by diving, rolling, and begging the refs for cards etc.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verena

Post by verena »

Point is, Italy didn't win...

Zidane has all my compassion, and at least his strike was in full view and not wicked. :roll:
(The NY times -or whoever it was- may be sorry to have written that Zidane is the coolest captain on earth... Cool yes, but a darn stronghead.)

Anyway I am happy. Against all odds the French guys made it to best players !!! :wink:
verena

Post by verena »

Thank you So Lack, I agree with your views.

And I have found another nickname for Ronaldo : "Diver" :D !
(I am not sure, but suspect "Cronaldo" to be kinda gross).
Otis Westinghouse

Why spare compassion for someone who headbutts in the chest? He really doesn't deserve it. Compared to that, Rooney's sending off was barely merited. For a moment it looked like he wouldn't be sent off, though he himself was taking his captain's band off the moment he'd done it, and must have been astonished to find it took so long to happen. From the sublime in the quarter to the ridiculous here. What a waste.

'Cronaldo' is what's actually on his shirt, as opposed to just 'Ronaldo'. Definitely leaving MU, thank God.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The weaker team (at least in this game) won. What a pity.
Zidane's behaviour was unforgivable but I'm pretty sure he was provoked by some racist remark from Materazzi. We may find out in a couple of days.
Good final match, but one of the weaker WC I have seen. Probably only better than 1990.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

It's been quite interesting in terms of the unexpected happening, at times. Some very good games (Germ v It; France v Braz; Arg v Mex; and Arg v Serb for a demo in how to dewmoilsh the opposition). Not a great one by any means. Too much nonsense from players, agreed. Some dire refereeing, of course. very well hosted and great to see the Germans going fussballkrazy. And too many poor manager decisions (abusive under-use of Messi, potentially the star of the tournament, whose absence in the quarter may well have cost Arg the game; also overly-absent Lennon; Jermaine Defoe; Robinho; Giuly).

What are we going to do now?
Mechanical Grace

No remark can justify that-- incredibly stupid on his part, just sheer ugliness. By that point in one's career, resisting the provocation of other players should be old hat. Winning would have been a much better retribution for a racist comment or whatever it was, and he knows it. And since it was his last game, he could've bad-mouthed Materazzi all he wanted-- self-righteously, from the winners' stand.

I'll miss the WC badly, but at least now I can change my signature and avatar, as I am no longer slave to ESPN and endless Geico ads...
verena

Post by verena »

Hey, do you think the poor fellow would have done what he did if he had been able to keep control ?! Of course not, he just ruined everything for himself, this will come back to haunt him for the rest of his life. Temporary insanity, one might plead.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:Many players ruined the tournement for me by diving, rolling, and begging the refs for cards etc.
I know what you mean.

I watched part of the Final on an upstairs bedroom TV. I went to adjust the aerial, banged it on the top of the TV and Materazzi fell over clutching his face :roll:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

:lol: :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verena

Post by verena »

:lol:

From that angle I had a good time, watching how guys commit a fault, willful or not, and then thrust their arms up in the air like they don't know what happened. My footie sis told me once an Italian was caught at this, doing a great job of looking innocent, but he had a piece of T shirt in one hand. :lol:
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

echos myron like a siren
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I must've been watching a different game 'cos I thought Italy was in charge up until the 75th minute or so. Good for them! Germany/Italy looked staged to me. Orchestrated, if you will.

Bad Zizou! This is not typical behavior from him, is it? He looked like an extremely angry/hurt/exhausted bear with a bad tooth.

My favorite player of this tournament. He looks kind of like Chief Joseph. It's a stretch but it's there. Trust me. I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
What are we going to do now?
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/ml ... _good.html
Second half starts July 17!

It's a joke, dudes.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mechanical Grace

Honey you kicked major ass in that last round, no? Brava!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Thanks for noticing! :lol: Too bad I spent too much time kicking my own ass in all the previous rounds.

But I'm fun. Yessiree, bob.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

mood swung wrote:Bad Zizou! This is not typical behavior from him, is it? He looked like an extremely angry/hurt/exhausted bear with a bad tooth.
14 red cards in his career or so. Temper always been there. Two in two World Cups.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm sure there's a ZZ Strop joke in there somewhere!

Anyway, who's up for the (UK) Fantasy Premier League this season?

I may even reciprocate and join your Fantasy Baseball League. Believe me MDM and MG, I know less about baseball than you know about football. :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?