World Cup Fantasy League (Spoilers Ahoy!)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
so lacklustre wrote: I expect they'll be whining about the ref though.
Fucking right we will. Imagine if that had been England v Italy rather than us. Wonder how much the eyeties paid him.

As for FF, let's count our chips at the end, shall we? England have played the ugliest football of the tournament so far. If that's entertainment, I want no part of it. Thought the Americans fought hard for the full 90 minutes today, showed they have some cojones, and very well could have won it.

Hope the Limeys gets dumped out in the next round. We don't need that shit polluting the airwaves.

You just can't imagine what the outcry here would have been had the English been done by the ref like we were last night.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Whine whine whine.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Whine whine whine.
I'll have some cheese with that, please.

And I know it's against my best interests fantasy footy-wise, but I'd love to see the Aussies do a number on the Brazilians today. I've really had enough of the samba nonsense.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Give me total football! Give me 6-0! Give me the best player in the world!

What's all this about the ref? I didn't see the Pope get sent off (was it for blasphemy?), but you can't quibble with Mastroeni other than to say it wason the harsh side, but the FIFA rules explicitly focus on a two-footed challenge off the ball, which is all that was, so the ref was merely doing his job.

Bollocks. 0-0 and no Prso action. Great penalty save by Jap goalie.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Give me total football! Give me 6-0! Give me the best player in the world!
You had it when the Argies dismantled the Serbs, Otis. Brazil are a shower of shit so far.

What is total football anyway? I hear people constantly using this term (something to do with Cruyff's underachieving Dutch I know), but it sounds like bunk to me. You can't just roll out of bed and win the World Cup, which is what it looks like the samba boys are trying to do. You need effort and desire. I've seen more of that from the Dutch, Ivorians, Ghanaians, Argies, Yanks and Aussies so far than I have from these pampered galacticos. C'mon Australia - shock the world!

France, Brazil (to date) and England - bad for the beautiful game. :wink:
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I didn't see the Pope get sent off (was it for blasphemy?)
ha!. Does the Vatican have a team?

I guess it would be kinda hard to head the ball with that big hat on though.

The refs aren't consistent though are they? One minute a tackle is a red card offense next they're letting even worse tackles go without even a free kick. And the bloody Italians diving, going off on stretchers and then running back on the field ten seconds later - its bollocks!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow. Fair play to the Koreans. Brazil somewhat better second half - Robinho looked lively - but yet to get out of second gear.
Otis Westinghouse

Mike Boom wrote:And the bloody Italians diving, going off on stretchers and then running back on the field ten seconds later - its bollocks!
Well they are famed for that stuff, it's all part of the melodrama of the Italian psyche, which combines the sublime and the ridiculous in equal measure. True that inconsistent refereeing is utterly tedious, and you will see it in most games, sometimes to an extreme degree.

Wouldn't call Brazil winning their first two in a lowe gear a 'shower of shit', but you know as well as I do that they're capable of far more and I'm sure we'll see it. It was semi-acceptable having Ronaldo on, after all the '98-reminiscent crap about him been under the weather, or at least it was when he assisted, but he still looks woefully match-unfit, as he has done all season. Why keep him for his bigger than deserved name? Fred is a player I'd never seen before but whose reputation is growing and a guy I know from Rio insisted he should be a first-team choice. Not hard to see why given his goal tally per minutes played thus far, and Robinho too, assuming his little legs can last a whole game. Ronaldinho has done very little so far, but it was nice to see Adriano, my other Brazilian, hit the net. Aussies did very well, could easily have scored and are a credit to their nation (and to'Boo!).

Of course 'total football' is a Dutch concept, and Cruyff and the '74 team are one of the best ones to have not won the World Cup they deserved, and it applied in the Van Basten days, and of course it applies to Arsenal a lot on a good day. It's the antithesis of a dull team that is there to grind out the 3 points in a monotonous fashion, normally with a late one to clinch it at 1-0. It's a situation where there will be fluidity throughout the whole field, players able to move positions with an understanding of the different permutations of the formation. Brazil play it in a different way, taking the fluidity and the inspired moment to an extreme, and football is a symbol of their entire existence, a glue that binds the nation together. I love their history in the World Cup and hope they double that maginificent tally of 5 in my lifetime. I also love Argentina and their Friday result was the perfect expression of what makes them great. And I love the term 'total football' itself. It's the essence of why football is my favourite sport, and it's all about the combination of effort and passion, as well as style, tenacity and grace.

I'm very pleased to have got the last two games bang on in my predictions league. This is arguably more fun than FF cos everyone has a stake in every result. I'm only playing against 6 others, easier to make it a small group. I won it last time aginst only 3 others, but didn't in the Euro as Greek Maria backed Greece throughout and strolled the predictions not to mention the FF, where she was something like 36 out of 200,000+. Amazing that the Koreans came back, but that's France for you, and that's a class Man U player for you! It's looking sad that it will never happen for the mighty Thierry in the French shirt. I think Domenech is an utter twat. Apart from the aformentioned mind-boggling exclusion of Giuly, he also leaves Trezuguet on the bench, preferring to stick with has-been genius Zizou. It's just bonkers. Shame Wenger can't also manage France. He probably will post-Arse, and he'll probably get them back to the semis or beyond.

Can hardly wait for the next few nights. It's gonna be a roller-coaster.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Wouldn't call Brazil winning their first two in a lowe gear a 'shower of shit'.
I was referring to the first match and the first half of today's match - the second half was marginally better.
then Otis Westingouse wrote:It's a situation where there will be fluidity throughout the whole field, players able to move positions with an understanding of the different permutations of the formation.
That's why I think its BS. Any really good team should be able to do that, including Roman's Evil Empire. The idea that the only good football is Arsenal-style football with one-touch goals galore is utter nonsense.
Otis Westinghouse

Not 'the only good' as any football that gets the three points is 'good', or, as we've seen a lot in the last week, an underdog struggling to only lose by one goal can also be very good, but 'the most beautiful', yes! Give me 'the beautiful game' every time.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my thoughts on USA v. Italy...

to So Lack, who seems to think we're a nation of whiners -

let me go all the way back to 4th grade and say....it takes one to know one, jackass! And I say that with the deepest of love and respect.

to Otis, who refuses to see the light re: Pablo - yer mama! I know we're all watching the same tv feed. I'm curious why we saw the elbow in Mcbride's face replayed 30 times, and Pablo's "foul" maybe twice. Do I smell conspiracy? :P Btw, Brian McBride apparently has double the norm of blood vessels in his head. And also, btw OTIS, not all of us Americans are "yanks," k?

Code: Select all

USA playing really well. Dempsey looking good.
with a really cute haircut!* I thought he did well and did not like seeing him subbed out for DaMarcus (who would be an entirely different player had the referee not suddenly decided to start watching the freaking game).

Which brings me to my last whine - did we not have one more substitution? A little Eddie (This Is War) Johnson would have made things really interesting.

*p.s. somehow or other (alcohol may have been involved), I have some Portugese dude on my team instead of Dempsey.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

mood swung wrote:And also, btw OTIS, not all of us Americans are "yanks," k?
Did I use that term? Don't think so. Show me!
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I think that was SLL. We do still fill out the bottom five in FF but only cause some of us still have players left in this round, ahem.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my bad, Otis. I'm sure you were thinking it though. :P

last place with an effing bullet and damn proud to be there!
Otis Westinghouse

mood swung wrote:my bad, Otis. I'm sure you were thinking it though. :P
Moi? I'm sure you're just yanking my chain!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

mood swung wrote::lol: that's fab, sam! Talking Mr. Swung into going to a Crew game didn't take a whole lot of convincing because 1) they sell beer and 2) there are cheerleaders (I am told).
Shouldn't that be spelt "Crewe"?
You are talking about Dario Gradi's team, right?

We are a bunch of rubbish (at Fantasy football). I can't believe I'm top tonight with a complete load of old bollocks. Hang our heads in shame.....
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

No, I'm talking Columbus Crew. MLS. You know, where aged Europeans and teenage 'phenoms' come to play. :lol:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

HMMMMM...first of all, I'm a "yank". I don't think the calls were that bad at all. Both the red card and yellow card to Pope where justified in my eyes. Of course the ref is going to make the make up call if given the chance!

BUT the Italians were indeed taking a lot of dives which is just riduculous!!!!! They fall down when the wind blows and then gimmace with a face that depicts a giant cucumber in your ass when just as the result of being kicked in the shins a bit. Shit when I played American football people ran over my back with cleats, kicked me in the balls, tried to bite me and almost gounged my eyes out. The difference with Eurofag sports and American sports is that if you act like you're hurt in the US then they'll go after your injury and try to punish you......in Euroball you act like you're hurt and you're rewarded. Dempsey was cool and played well. Many times he cut through their D when he could have fallen down and taken a dive. Fight through it and maybe scor a fucking goal instead of falling down like a dork. But we shouldn't complain too much about the ref. The US was going in way too hard, but maybe that set a bit of a tone that was good.

The nulified goal was also a good call.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
alexv

Post by alexv »

My favorite World Cup quotes, so far:

McBride on how a certain kind of man reacts to an elbow to the face:

"I don't have a lot of feeling in my face. My nerves are all dead from the surgeries. You get hit and you get back up."

His goalkeeper buddy, showing his sensitive side:

"He's got a few titanium plates in his face already," goalkeeper Kasey Keller said. "So you know he's going to stick it in places where most people would prefer not to."
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Cope (hi dude!) wrote:
The nulified goal was also a good call.
Yes, it was, but after that, DaMarcus couldn't tie his own shoes. It's just sad the way he's lost confidence.

And speaking of injury, I thought it was hysterical when Buffon used one of his players as a ladder, and the medical team comes out and sprays the guy's ass down. What is that stuff? And what did they use to make McBride quit bleeding so fast? I need some of that in my house.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nice - Sheva sets one up and scores another. Nets me 18 points as captain.

How's life down there, so lack? :wink:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Time to make changes for group stage round 3. I'm having a hard time just working out which players might be on the pitch, given the number of teams that have little or nothing to play for in this round.

Well done moody - selecting Raul as captain! And Otis gets 10 for Torres.
Otis Westinghouse

Was getting worried, but he came good. Just about the only high-scorer I've had! Typically, though, someone I was tied with in the work league has him as bleedin' captain!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I dropped down to 7. :x
Hope the transfers I'm going to make for the last group stage round will be more effective.
Congrats to all who picked up Spanish or Ukrainian players.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

invisible Pole wrote:Congrats to all who picked up Spanish or Ukrainian players.
Save those who picked ones who were on the f-ing bench. :x

Jeeze I'd better improve this round! :roll: 8)