Paul Simon and.... Brian Eno?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Paul Simon and.... Brian Eno?

Post by BlueChair »

That's right, apparently Paul Simon's forthcoming album, Surprise, will be a collaboration with Brian Eno. Considering Simon hasn't put out a good album in decades, I'm curious to hear what he sounds like with Brian Eno in charge.

From Billboard:

After several years of work, Paul Simon is finally ready to share his long-awaited collaboration with producer Brian Eno (U2, Talking Heads) with the listening public. The 11-track project, dubbed "Surprise," will be released May 9 in North America via Warner Bros. and a day earlier internationally.

Among the songs set to appear on "Surprise" are "Sons and Daughters," "How Can You Live in the Northeast," "Outrageous" and "Father and Daughter," Simon's contribution to 2002's "The Wild Thornberrys Movie" which was nominated for the best original song Academy Award.

Guest appearances include guitarist Bill Frisell, drummer Steve Gadd and pianist Herbie Hancock, whose 2005 album, "Possibilities," featured a new recording with Simon of the latter's "I Do It for Your Love."

"Surprise" is Simon's first studio album since 2000's "You're the One," which debuted at No. 19 on The Billboard 200 and has sold more than 505,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The lone live date on Simon's schedule at present is a May 7 appearance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. A small-venue show in London is in the works to coincide with the new album's release date but details have yet to be announced.

According to a spokesperson, tours are in the works for both summer and fall. Simon will also perform on the May 13 episode of NBC's "Saturday Night Live."

Here is the track list for "Surprise":

"How Can You Live in the Northeast"
"Everything About It Is a Love Song"
"Outrageous"
"Sure Don't Feel Like Love"
"Wartime Prayers"
"Beautiful"
"I Don't Believe"
"Another Galaxy"
"Once Upon a Time There Was an Ocean"
"That's Me"
"Father and Daughter"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I want it to be essential.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Considering that mr Simon writes from 7-5 (with a two hour lunch break) pretty much every Monday-Friday, a lot of work must have gone into those songs. With Eno on board it should be worth several listens at least.
What this world needs is more silly men.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Rhythm of the Saints was in 1991. Does that count as decades? That's a great record.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Hearts & Bones still stands up, the recent remaster makes it sound even better. Looking forward to the new album.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

noiseradio wrote:Rhythm of the Saints was in 1991. Does that count as decades? That's a great record.
Okay, a decade. And I guess there were even a few okay songs on You're The One.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

bump

This is out today and has been getting some pretty decent reviews!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

There's a stream of the album (full and individual tracks) here:
http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds
charliestumpy

Surprise

Post by charliestumpy »

I heard 'Surprise' yesterday and did not like it first-play. By third play I came to appreciate his vocals/lots of his imagery and even to have got used to most of apparently non-musical-instrument noises going on ...

Every now and then as Simon-fan/purchaser I do play his last 2 albums, but obviously Simon's last decent one as has been said was ROTS.

Possibly this album (my UK one is on order for 5th June release) might appeal:

a) to Paul Simon buyers.
b) to Eno buyers.
c) to people who do not like musical instrumentation (?majority buying CD/digital junk?).

I do like way the final track from 'Wild Thornberries' 2001-2 movie does integrate well IMO with begining of album.

In fact I like the album lyrically, although lots of the 'noise' motifs are IMO derived from his previous decent albums. I like the album and I'm sure that I will like it even more when hearing non-.mp3 version ...

Simon, formerly an analogue vinyl Linn Sondek liker has a stab at digititis ...
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

That Wild Thornberries Soundtrack is pretty good, btw-- I got it for my son when the film came out and we still enjoy it (like any soundtrack, there are duds):

1. Father & Daughter - Paul Simon
2. Iwoya - Angelique Kidjo featuring Dave Matthews
3. Dance With Us - P. Diddy & Brandy featuring Bow Wow
4. Animal Nation - Peter Gabriel
5. Happy - Sita
6. Motla Le Pula (The Rain Maker) - Hugh Masekela
7. Don't Walk Away - Youssou N' Dour featuring Sting
8. Acci-dent - Baha Men
9. Monkey Man - Reel Big Fish
10. Shaking The Tree (02 Remix) - Peter Gabriel & Youssou N' Dour featuring Shaggy
11. Get Out Of London - The Pretenders
12. Africa - Las Hijas Del Sol
13. End Of Forever - Nick Carter
14. Awa Awa - Wes END
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

You know what, I picked it up today and it *is* a really good cd. And that's all I have to say about it that is relevant or true.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Surprise

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

charliestumpy wrote:Simon, formerly an analogue vinyl Linn Sondek liker has a stab at digititis ...
That's what I have! If only I could still find the will to make use of it...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more