Graham Parker

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

Graham Parker

Post by Chrille »

I know there are fans of Graham Parker on these forums. I recently bought Squeezing Out Sparks and Howlin' Wind simply because I was interested in Parker and they had gotten the highest rating on allmusic.com. It turns out these albums, especially Howlin' Wind, are great and I'll most likely look for more of his stuff in the future. The question is, for those who've heard more of him, where to go next?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

"Stick to Me" then "Heat Treatment"
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I thought Your Country was quite good. There's a long barren period in the middle of GPs career, but Mona Lisa's Sister was a decent record.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

Parker is incredible and sorely overlooked these days. He's made some of the best albums of his career in the last 10 years. Try these:

Deepcut To Nowhere
Struck By Lightning
12 Haunted Episodes

Everyone knows the early albums were great and that Parker fell under the influence of some bad producers (for him) and record company idiocity throughout the eighties but he's been on an artistic (if not commercial) roll since The Mona Lisa's Sister. Struck by Lightning features Pete Thomas on drums and the Rumour's Andrew Bodnar on bass. Anyone who feels that King of America was a highpoint for EC will probably enjoy this one. 12 Haunted Episodes is semi-acoustic (?!!) and features some great songs, particularly Disney's America. The Rumour's Steve Goulding on drums and Pete Donnelly from the Figgs on bass are the great rhythm section onDeepcut to Nowhere. Graham tends to play all of the guitar parts and pretty much produces his own material these days which is a good thing.
bobster

Post by bobster »

It may be out of print, but at the time I thought "The Up Escalator" a pretty credible follow-up to the amazing "Sparks", adjusting for the inevitable post-masterpiece letdown.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Bobster, I agree that The Up Escalator was unfairly but fashionably maligned in the shadow of Sparks. It's not nearly as bland as the next few albums but also not nearly as exciting as the previous four classics. I always thought that there were several strong tracks on Escalator, like Empty Lives, The Devil's Sidewalk and No Holding Back but that Jimmy Iovine's bland, corporate-sponsored production made a wash of the songs. Graham, at the time, seemed to be pretty content to hand over his career to the producer de jour, Iovine being the first of several. Thankfully, he came to his senses nearly a decade later to save what was left of his career.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/album/grahamparker/290

Don't Tell Columbus
(2007)

I Discovered America
England's Latest Clown
Ambiguous
The Other Side of the Reservoir
Suspension Bridge
Love or Delusion
Total Eclipse of the Moon
Stick to the Plan
Somebody Saved Me
Hard Side of the Rain
Bullet of Redemption
All Being Well
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Only a handful of contemporary artists – Costello, for one – could write lyrics so briskly cynical and yet so pierced by implicit yearning.

I loved both 'Struck By Lightning' (his best as far as I'm concerned) and the fantastic 'Burning Questions' with so many great songs and insighful lyrics:

"does your daddy look down on us and say this is wrong
will your mother figure me out from the words in this song
did you prefer the guy who was hung like king kong
well I just wanna feel your curves again when they're not at right angles
with too many knots to untangle"

...........or the beautiful poignant 'Worthy of Your Love'

"If I could make up all the rules
I would not carry out the work of fools
Or use deception and fear as tools
and I'd be worthy of your love"

Fucking fantastic 8)

I'm off to dig out '12 Haunted Episodes'...another classic
corruptio optimi pessima
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Squeezing Out Sparks was a favorite album of mine growing up and one I now realize I need to replace and put on my ipod. A friend of mine and I used to cover a couple of songs off that one. You Can't Be Too Strong and Local Girls were fun to play
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'll be seeing Graham right here in sleepy little Pawling, New York, at the Towne Crier on Feb. 17. Looking forward to it.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Aye, sounds enjoyable. Is he touring with a band or solo?

The only other Graham Parker album I have apart from Howlin Wind and Sparks is Heat Treatment, and that's bloomin' awsome. Buy it if you like t'other two.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Solo gig, from the sound of it.
migdd

Post by migdd »

It is indeed a solo gig. Alas, Parker seldom tours with a band these days for economic reasons. There are rumors that he will tour with backup after the release of Don't Tell Columbus and that the band may include Mike Gent of the Figgs on drums (he's usually a guitarist!) as well as a member of Gent's other band, The GENTlemen, on bass and sometimes Figgs guitarist Brent Rosenberg on guitar. We'll see. . .
Jackson Monk

Re: Graham Parker

Post by Jackson Monk »

Been really loving a lot of GP recently. He is so consistent...I'd listen to even his weakest records.

I found this In the Q&A section of his official website:

From Ed Smothers:

Since you and Elvis Costello have been compared to each other have you ever met him and have you ever thought about writing a song together. I would think it would be great or a big conflict. What are your feelings. Thanks

TO ED SMOTHERS (from GP):

Eh.......Nah. It'd be like two elephants in a bowl of soup.

:lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
migdd

Post by migdd »

I remember reading that quote over at the GP site. Hilarious!

Evidently Parker has another album in the can for release in April, 2010.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Jackson Monk wrote:Been really loving a lot of GP recently. He is so consistent...I'd listen to even his weakest records.

I found this In the Q&A section of his official website:

From Ed Smothers:

Since you and Elvis Costello have been compared to each other have you ever met him and have you ever thought about writing a song together. I would think it would be great or a big conflict. What are your feelings. Thanks

TO ED SMOTHERS (from GP):

Eh.......Nah. It'd be like two elephants in a bowl of soup.

:lol:
Any specific history of a problem between these two? I was reading about an upcoming documentary about GP which mentioned that EC was asked for an interview but didn't respond.

Just wondering...
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Elvis borrowed/stole so blatantly from GP in the early days its ridiculous . . . and it IS very curious that Elvis hasn't acknowledged this in the least. Didn't really matter much after TYM, because Elvis was off in another direction and so was Graham.

The Spectacle/Sunglasses thing was a hoot. GP should've been invited to be on Spectacle but not sure it would've reconciled well with Elvis' massive ego. Oh well. Wish Elvis would come clean and admit that he was and still might be a huge fan. Wonder what he thinks of the GP & Rumour reunion? Actually, don't care what he thinks. Convinced he is in audience incognito and watching/making bootlegs. GP always had more soul, but EC had more of an edge.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Isn't it The Rumour that backs Elvis on Live at the Macambo?

They must have at least a cordial relationship.

I've heard it said that Elvis stole GP's thunder. I think it's true to a certain extent, but after that first burst of New Wave video-driven popularity, both of them kind of fell to the wayside, at least in the USA. They used to play GP's video No Protection endlessly on late night Saturday broadcasts before the rise of MTV. Of course, neither artist is pretty enough for MTV.

Comparing the two, I've always said that GP was more obvious and Elvis was more opaque. As they have progressed, it's clear to me that Elvis is the better musician, far more daring and inventive. I've heard that GP has had addiction problems with opiates. I wonder how much that has affected his work.

Graham Parker is one of the guys I pull out when I feel nostalgic. Squeezing Out Sparks really drags up the old memories.

Merry Christmas.