RIP Kirby Puckett

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

RIP Kirby Puckett

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Shocked by this one - only 45. Puckett was the star of those great underdog Twins teams that would have been a lot more fun to watch if they hadn't played in that awful domed stadium.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Of course I was pissed at his whole team in '91 when they beat the Braves :wink: , but still a tragic loss. It really hurts when someone that close to my age dies suddenly like that. . . .

RIP
Last edited by spooky girlfriend on Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow. Read about his stroke yesterday, but thought for sure he'd pull through, Kirby was one of the first baseball heroes that my generation grew up watching. RIP.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
alexv

Post by alexv »

It's a shame what happened to him. While playing he was universally well-liked. Then glaucoma cuts short his great career. And in retirement he found himself embroiled in incidents of sexual harrassment, his wife leaves him, and his weight ballons up to close to 400 pounds. He seemed to be trying to get his life together recently, and then this. Tragic.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Maybe, just a little of the Pete Rose syndrome...identity through baseball, and little else to sustain once that is taken away.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

400 pound sexual harrasment creep with glaucoma....sounds like death was a good option :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's nice, Cope.

There were only a few isolated incidents, and they came shortly after he was more or less forced into retirement because of his glaucoma. Not that groping a woman because you have glaucoma and had to retire is any excuse, but it's not like a constant thing. And for what it's worth, he was aquitted.

For the past three years, Puckett had been living peacefully in Arizona. He was supposed to have been married this summer. And many who knew him said he was a very decent guy. I'm sure most of the incidents he had found himself in were due to alcohol.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I guess now that whar is gone, I guess cope has taken over pissing on our posted condolences.

Kirby was a great player and a good guy. Slamming him for something he was acquitted of is one thing, but making fun of a dead man for having had glaucoma is mean-spirited bullshit.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

None of us knew him - too tough a call to say he was a good guy - the Frank Difford article in SI a few years ago was pretty damning - and Difford is a well respected journalist - two sides to every story and 400 lb sexual harrasment creep is surely one of them - hell of a ballplayer though.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I'm basing my claim that he was a good guy on the word of the people who did know him. They spoke of him in hushed tones, on and off the field. I didn't say he was a saint. And either way, what Cope posted was bullshit.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

I think Mr. Average comes closest to reality with his Pete Rose comparison.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Didn't know him, couldn't comment on his personal habits, but I sure enjoyed watching him play baseball.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Well said, pophead. It's a thread for honoring the man. If people want a thread for throwing stones at the dead, they should start a new one.
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

It's more complex than that - it doesn't have to be about throwing stones - but it doesn't necessarily have to be about only remembering the good either - maybe a little reflection on idolitry and the inherent dangers to both fans and those they idol....I think Cope may have gone a little far, but hell it's his opinion (no matter how flippant it might be) and he's got as much right to voice it here on this thread as you do your opinion.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Another RIP thread hijkacked....

No one's denying rights. I have the right to attend a funeral and stand up and say "He was a bastard." But it's rude. And that's just common sense. What Cope is doing IS stone-throwing. And you can pretty it up or blame Mr. Average for it, but it is. I mean, shit, one of the things Cope basically said was "He was fat and had glaucoma. Good thing he's dead." How do you defend that?

Aw, fuck it, I give up.
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

Did you miss something? Fat and glaucmoma weren't the troubling aspects of Kirby's life after baseball - it was the issues surrounding sexual harrasment (which looks to me to be the point of Cope's post - you must have had trouble with the reading comprehension portion of your SAT exam), and not only the case in which he was acquited, but others in which he made cash pay-outs and avoided trial - their were charges of spousal abuse, serial cheating etc. - really disturbing stuff - especially as we was held up all during his playing days as kind of "role model"....one in which I certainly bought into.

Another thread hijacked? C'mon Noise.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Cope said:
400 pound sexual harrasment creep with glaucoma....sounds like death was a good option
2 of the 3 points there for which Kirby should have welcomed death according to Cope were being fat and having glaucoma. I think you missed something. And yes, the thread's been hijacked, by you as much as by Cope at this point. It's "Rest In Peace Kirby Puckett" This shit allows for no such sentiment. You can bitch away. I'm done.

Kirby, it was a pleasure to watch you play the game. Sorry your personal life got so complicated. Good for you working to get your life back together. Hope you found rest.
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

Yes, I missed it - you're right -

Cope is a one man Danish death squad targeting fat guys with bad eyesight.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i think cope is originally from like new jersey or thereabouts, so that might explain it.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

my point was that you don't have much to live for when you're 400 lbs and have bad eyesight and have been reduced to a sexual harrasment creep.....so you just hang it up........and that death was a welcome change of pace to a wretched exsistance :lol:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I got your point. Evidently you didn't get mine.
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

NOIZE I get your point...it's pretty consistent...the only opinion that is worth shit is yours....one that matches your morality and values. That ain't freedom of speach. You should read Jyllands-Posten.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

"Freedom of speech" must be proud to have this kind of advocate.
Not.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:NOIZE I get your point...it's pretty consistent...the only opinion that is worth shit is yours....one that matches your morality and values. That ain't freedom of speach. You should read Jyllands-Posten.
I've never said people didn't have the freedom to speak. Just that people should try to have tact and taste. Just because you CAN say something doesn't mean you SHOULD. I even suggested that you start your own thread to speak your mind however you want. Just have enough respect to refrain from your verbal diarrhea every damn place you go.

Or continue to be an asshole everywhere. Whatever.
--William Shakespeare