Help with a movie title...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
anjabro

Help with a movie title...

Post by anjabro »

It's a movie I remember from when I was a kid, so must be a mid '70s movie at the latest...I thought Christopher Lee was in it, but I looked him up on IMDB and couldn't see it...

Plot is...

The wreck of the titanic is found at the bottom of the sea like 50 years after it sank...Divers go down to salvage it / have a look at it / whatever, but when they get there, they hear noises of machinery coming from the hull...

Long story short, People have survived the descent to the bottom of the sea, and the ship has landed upside down, created an air bubble where the survivors have made a community complete with air filters, generators, and everything they need to survive, and there's hundreds of them, and they've been having children and everything...

It gets hazy after that,(were they like a religious cult, or something..?) but if anyone can help me out, thanks...
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Help with a movie title...

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

anjabro wrote:It's a movie I remember from when I was a kid, so must be a mid '70s movie at the latest...I thought Christopher Lee was in it, but I looked him up on IMDB and couldn't see it...

Plot is...

The wreck of the titanic is found at the bottom of the sea like 50 years after it sank...Divers go down to salvage it / have a look at it / whatever, but when they get there, they hear noises of machinery coming from the hull...

Long story short, People have survived the descent to the bottom of the sea, and the ship has landed upside down, created an air bubble where the survivors have made a community complete with air filters, generators, and everything they need to survive, and there's hundreds of them, and they've been having children and everything...

It gets hazy after that,(were they like a religious cult, or something..?) but if anyone can help me out, thanks...
Never heard of it, but it sounds pretty wild! Throw in some brain-eating zombies and you've really got something special! :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Could it be The Incredible Petrified World with John Carradine - kind of has some of the plot elements and John Carradine has a lanky scary Chritopher Lee quality......

http://www.1000misspenthours.com/review ... dworld.htm
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I've seen this! But I don't know the title. I'm thinking it was a made for tv, movie of the week kind of thing.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Could it be The Incredible Petrified World with John Carradine -
No, it was definitely colour, late 60's/ early 70's kinda style...In fact I'm wondering if it might even have been a British, Hammer style movie...
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

mood swung wrote:I've seen this! But I don't know the title. I'm thinking it was a made for tv, movie of the week kind of thing.
Yeah, definitely not a big budget thing...

BTW, my kids were just watching Titanic on video, and I mentioned this movie, and everyone thinks I dreamt it up...at least I've got a witness now (unless we both dreamt it... :shock: )
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone remember "Hell House"? That one always gave me the heebie-jeebies.
wardo68

Re: Help with a movie title...

Post by wardo68 »

anjabro wrote:It's a movie I remember from when I was a kid, so must be a mid '70s movie at the latest...I thought Christopher Lee was in it...
The wreck of the titanic is found at the bottom of the sea like 50 years after it sank...
This will be no help, but my first thought was of "Raise The Titanic!", starring Jason Robards, who looks slightly Christopher Lee-esque on the DVD box. However, all the synopses I've seen about this movie make reference to a nuclear arms race with the Soviets, and nothing about an underwater colony. But I'm intrigued, so I'll keep checking.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

The only film that springs immediately to mind is the 1972 disaster flick, The Poseidon Adventure... but that doesn't meet all of the requirements.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Goliath Awaits
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

oily slick wrote:Goliath Awaits
We have a winner!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

way to go, idaho!

now, does anyone know this one? set at a boarding school, in winter. the wife drowns her husband in the bathtub and then tosses his body in the outdoor pool (which is black and nasty, being all winter and stuff). the husband rises (or floats) back to her and chases her into the bathroom where she drowned him and pops his eyeballs out. Scared the absolute shit out of me when I was ten or so (so that makes it 1973 or so) - honestly I didn't get that scared again until Ghost Story.

somebody tell me they know this movie...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:way to go, idaho!

now, does anyone know this one? set at a boarding school, in winter. the wife drowns her husband in the bathtub and then tosses his body in the outdoor pool (which is black and nasty, being all winter and stuff). the husband rises (or floats) back to her and chases her into the bathroom where she drowned him and pops his eyeballs out. Scared the absolute shit out of me when I was ten or so (so that makes it 1973 or so) - honestly I didn't get that scared again until Ghost Story.

Sounds like some bastardized version of Clouzot's great thriller "Diabolique". I don't remember anything about eyeballs popping out in the Clouzot picture (haven't seen it in years), but the rest of it is straight out of "Diabolique".
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, this was on tv in the '70s, wasn't in black and white and wasn't in french and believe me there were eyeballs being popped out, but otherwise, THAT'S IT!!!
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

oily slick wrote:Goliath Awaits
That looks like the one...I was sure I was a lot younger when I saw it, and I was sure it was the Titanic, but the plot is spot on, and it's got Christopher Lee...(..and John Carradine coincidentally, whoever mentioned him..)

Well done board in general and Oily Slick in particular...This place never lets you down... :lol:

(P.S. Did you know it, or are you just a better Googler than me..?)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Color me impressed, Oily!

Man oh man do I love John Carradine.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i wish i was a better googler actually. my head is full of meaningless crap. the likelihood of coughing something like that up again is, however, almost nil. it was big hyped cornball tv deal at the time. and if it has eddie albert in it, you gotta watch, don't you? did you know you can get entire seasons of green acres on dvd! can't help moody with her popping eyeballs though.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

mood swung wrote:now, does anyone know this one? set at a boarding school, in winter. the wife drowns her husband in the bathtub and then tosses his body in the outdoor pool (which is black and nasty, being all winter and stuff). the husband rises (or floats) back to her and chases her into the bathroom where she drowned him and pops his eyeballs out. Scared the absolute shit out of me when I was ten or so (so that makes it 1973 or so) - honestly I didn't get that scared again until Ghost Story.

Can't help you with the title I'm afraid MDM. But I want to know what you were doing watching this movie when you were a mere 10 years old.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

what was I doing? causing permanent psychological scarring, that's what. I've never looked at a dirty swimming pool the same way.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:what was I doing? causing permanent psychological scarring, that's what. I've never looked at a dirty swimming pool the same way.
This may be the one you saw, moody. From 1974, made for TV, with Tuesday Weld, Sam Waterston, Michael Lerner.

From the IMDB user comments it sounds like it's the one...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072070/?fr ... ft=20;fm=1
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

that's it! thanks, sam.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:that's it! thanks, sam.
Interesting. The same director - John Badham - did "Saturday Night Fever" and "American Flyers", both pretty good pictures. Unfortunately he was also responsible for "Drop Zone", which is nearly unforgiveable.