iPod/Other-Personal-Digital-Music-Thingy - which one?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

iPod/Other-Personal-Digital-Music-Thingy - which one?

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Time to get one of these things - x-mas is a good excuse.

I've got tons of music that I want to put on - which of these machines is going to let me cram the most amount of music with the highest fidelity?

please help.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

looks like I gotta buy a couple of these as Xmas gifts (or bribes, if you will) - which ones work best with PCs? My daughter WANTS the iPod, like Veruca wants an Ompaloompa.

a Cliff Notes version of Consumer's Guide or whatever, please.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

This site has some good general information and links: http://portables.about.com/cs/mp3player ... playbg.htm
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Here's another good iPod resource moody. Take a look at the FAQ under the Help section.

http://www.ilounge.com

All of the current iPod models are designed to work with both Windows and Mac (they come packaged with iTunes software), so I don't think you'll have any problems there, no matter which model you decide to purchase.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

BWAP

The sound quality/ quantity trade off is an interesting one. I would just buy the biggest IPOD you can afford and set your itunes to import them with apple lossless format - that way you dont get any loss of sound quality - but obviously you wont fit as many songs on as you would with MP3 - personally I would rather have less songs and better quality.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm a big iPod fan-- very big-- but I do wonder what they're like with a PC, and would love to hear if there are any PC-folks who have and use iTunes.

The two things I like best about the iPod MIGHT both be less relevant with a PC:
1. speed of ripping with Firewire
2. ease of use because of the integration of iTunes into the Mac platform.

If the ripping were no faster because it used a USB connection AND if you still had to do all sorts of gobbledygook hooking the damn thing up (assigning driver, bah blah blah) I'd say it's not worth spending the extra bucks-per-MB for an iPod (though even that factor is becoming less relevant, frankly).

Anyone here have experience with the 2 aspects I describe above?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I use my IPOD with a Dell Laptop with Pentium M 1600 mHertz with 512 Mbyte RAM. USB 2.0.

It has been seamless. Ripping and burninb a CD is faster than any other vehicle I have used. A typical 60 minute CD (not sure Megabyte volume) will burn in less than 3 minutes, and without error. I have never had a failure, but in perspective I have burned only about 150 discs, so this is not a huge sample. I do not use firewire cable, but I have the capability. Creature of habit with the USB 2.0 port, and it is faster than I can pop my Orville Reddenbacher Kettle Korn in the microwave. When I connect the IPOD for update, the songs literally fly onto the IPOD, and as an estimate 100 regular length songs will populate my Ipod from Itunes in less than 90 seconds. Maybe less than 75 seconds. I don't need it to go any faster than that.

The Itunes interface as I have previously mentioned is simple, intutitive and allows for easy IPOD updates. Music store access is simple. Playlists. The whole thing.

Great product that works great on a non-Mac if it is optimized at least to the level I havve noted above. And my laptop is now 1.5 years old.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Mike Boom -

This sounds like good advice. I'm thinking I need the 60 gb - but the new ones are video capable ipods - is this more than I need?...
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I have the 40gb IPhoto, I dont use the photo side of things much , but have a few on there, and they are nice to have - I would say the new 60gb would be the one to get and even if you dont use the video much , it probably wont matter, you just the use the space for more music, and its apparently a little lighter and thinner than the older models. I use mine constantly, Im sure you will too, so I think its good value for money.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
whar

Post by whar »

Creative Zen Touch.
Oy with the poodles, already!