goodbye, little buddy

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

goodbye, little buddy

Post by mood swung »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/0 ... index.html

When I was in grammar school I used to watch Gilligan's Island after school. And when I worked the 4-12 shift at the fabulous Carlstown Inn, I unwound watching Dobie Gillis and Dragnet after work.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Oh, man, I hate it when icons of my childhood die. I practically grew up on Gilligan. I wanted to Ginger when I grew up, but alas, I'm more of a Marianne.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well, it may not mean much to our crowd on here, but i spent scads of time with the castaways. i may just have this in my head, but i believe there was a time the monkees, gilligan and maybe the primetime flintstones competed in the old 6:30 central time slot and it was a tough call. course then years and years of after school gilligan. what an innocent escape compared to what is on the tube today. there was a marathon 24 hours of gilligan thing on recently and my little ones nor the 18 year old had seen this stuff and they watched hours of it. i don't know what the deal was. i know someone who saw him in an airport and he begged them to hush cause he said a crowd would gather. i believe he was sort of a humble little man who didn't much like the spotlight. he used to be stoned all the time too.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Pov

Post by Pov »

This was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. Here are some interesting trivia about Gilligan's Island which I did not know, even though I probably saw every episode. They come from the obit in today's NY Times. Did you that:

Gilligan was his family name. His first name was Willy.

The Skipper's name was Jonas Grumby.

Mary Ann's last name was Summers.

The Professor's name was Roy Hinkley.

The S.S. Minnow was named after Newton Minow, the FCC Commissioner who in 1961 called the prime time television schedule "a vast wasteland."

The show was cancelled after three seasons, not because of a lack of viewers (it was very successful) but rather to add an extra 1/2 hour to Gunsmoke.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

There aren't that many people from that show who are still around.

Has anybody seen the episode of Space Ghost where they had Mary Ann, The Professor, and Gilligan on?

They made Gilligan sing the "To Be Or Not To Be" song
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'll never get that song out of my head. And wouldn't it have been cool if Olivier had performed it that way.

And, don't feel bad on your birthday, Goody, I have it one strong authority that 3.7 out of 5 guys (myself included) secretly prefer Mary Ann.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Run away with me, bobster!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I played the theme song for a college production of an episode of Gilligan's Island ("Ms. Castaway"), and Dawn Wells--Mary Anne herself--was in attendance. She complimented my playing and singoing of the theme from the stage. And she must have been kicking 60 in the head, but she was still smoking hot.

Bob Denver owned a mountain in West Virginia. That's a cool way to live your life. Take care, little buddy.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Funny, but I was never a Gilligan's Island fan...

I was however a major "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" fan and can still recall Maynard G Krebs saying "gee, that's rough Riff" whenever he was asked to leave Riff Ryan's Music Store for listening to his favourite jazz releases without ever buying.

My favourite Gilligan's Island memory actually doesn't relate to the show at all, but rather to the film "Back to the Beach" which finishes with Alan Hale Jr looking for his "little buddy" - Denver did actually play the bartender in that film.
Pov

Post by Pov »

Tim(e) wrote:Funny, but I was never a Gilligan's Island fan...

I was however a major "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" fan and can still recall Maynard G Krebs saying "gee, that's rough Riff" whenever he was asked to leave Riff Ryan's Music Store for listening to his favourite jazz releases without ever buying.
Maynard G. Krebs was a great character.

Did you say "WORK?!?"

The G. stands for "Walter"