The J. Geils Band

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
whar

The J. Geils Band

Post by whar »

Ron & Fez use "Cruisin' For Love" as the intro music for their talk radio show (which can be heard on XM Radio starting Sep. 9th).

I recently discovered that Squeeze's track "Lookin' For Love" is infact a J. Geils Band track (beautifully, as well).

Anybody into The J. Geils Band? Any favorite tracks of their's?
Oy with the poodles, already!
martinfoyle

Re: The J. Geils Band

Post by martinfoyle »

whar wrote: Anybody into The J. Geils Band? Any favorite tracks of their's?
Are they anything to do with this guy?

Seriously, I only know their Centrefold stuff, it made TOTP required viewing. Apparently our Elvis had something to do with the production of their 1978 album, they may have toured together around then.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

They're ok. I saw them during one of B.B. King's touring blues festivals. I wasn't really left with much of an impression one way or another
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

J Giels is a good guitarist who built a blues/rock band around that core. He added Magic Dick on Harmonica and Peter Wolf (former husband of Faye Dunaway) on vocals.

Ironically, their best known record (not sure about sales volume indicators) is called Full House, and it is a live record that was the staple of all beer-drinkin' and hell raisin' parties of my youth. I am not a fan of live recordings in general, but this is a good one...extreme high energy that never stops.

You can pick up "Full House" cheap. It's worth the ride.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I recently covered their hit "Love Stinks", coupled with "Love Hurts" at a wedding.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I loathed Centrefold with a passion and still do. Music to puke to.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bobster

Post by bobster »

I sort of like it. However, a friend of mine once pointed out to me that it has essentially the same melody as "The Muffin Man."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
johnfoyle

Re: The J. Geils Band

Post by johnfoyle »

J Geils (John Warren Geils Jr.) RIP.

Elvis has been regularly photographed with Peter Wolf , vocalist with the The J Geils Band. That dates back to 1979 , when , according to a comment in the NME -

Other matters however were discussed — topics ranging from Costello following the J. Geils Band around Europe (he'd been at the final stages of mixing Sanctuary, Geils' last album, got pally with the group and made the trip from France to London to watch them play, so enraptured was he with them) to animated impersonations of Robert De Niro in Mean Streets.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ne_9,_1979