i hear that south america is coming into style...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Okay, I didn't realize you were in Buenos Aries at the moment, so that was where my confusion came from.

Why aren't you out having fun on your vacation instead of being online constantly? :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

BlueChair wrote:Okay, I didn't realize you were in Buenos Aries at the moment, so that was where my confusion came from.

Why aren't you out having fun on your vacation instead of being online constantly? :D
:lol: Good Question, well, whenever I get that Insomnia feeling I come here to piss off some members :lol: . But I'm having fun, thing you gotta know is that Bs.As is a night city, and most of the attractions (the type of attractions that dosn't include Bruce) are at night.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

"Otis Westinghouse Brilliant. ¡Bárbaro! (Do you say that in Chile? Common in BA. Love it!)
¡Bárbaro! that's an Argentinian trademark, only used there.. we have some other expressions, less classy but as expressive as bárbaro...
que no panda el cunico
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

idle hands wrote:
"Otis Westinghouse Brilliant. ¡Bárbaro! (Do you say that in Chile? Common in BA. Love it!)
¡Bárbaro! that's an Argentinian trademark, only used there.. we have some other expressions, less classy but as expressive as bárbaro...
FYI, it's also used in Spain (where it came from). But never mind them, they only speak Spanish Spanish (or 'Spanish').
alexv

Post by alexv »

Barbaro is also used by Cubans to mean something stupendous, either good or bad ("Eres un barbaro, chico").
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Aren't parents required to provide storage for all eternity?
That's what I said, but they laughed at me. Then I pointed out that my mother doesn't necessarily need a collection of gift boxes, and that space could be used to store my trinkets and tchotchkes, but she said, "I do need them!" and that was that.

Extreme Honey, unless your vacation is very long, I doubt our paths will cross, but feel free to make any recommendations (and that goes for everyone here, actually). I am currently looking at furnished apartments in Recoleta, which are, surprisingly, much cheaper than comparable digs in San Telmo.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

miss buenos aires wrote:
Boy With A Problem wrote:Aren't parents required to provide storage for all eternity?
That's what I said, but they laughed at me. Then I pointed out that my mother doesn't necessarily need a collection of gift boxes, and that space could be used to store my trinkets and tchotchkes, but she said, "I do need them!" and that was that.

Extreme Honey, unless your vacation is very long, I doubt our paths will cross, but feel free to make any recommendations (and that goes for everyone here, actually). I am currently looking at furnished apartments in Recoleta, which are, surprisingly, much cheaper than comparable digs in San Telmo.
My old boring Folks just baught an appartment in Libertador close to a very tasty Freddo Ice cream store. Recommendations? Well there's a hell of alot of good housing in Bs. As., You're better off picking an area and then choosing an appartment (If you don't want to get your gringa-butt robbed I suggest you purchase an appartment). There's a lot of possibilities of housing and a lot of beautiful areas in Buenos Aires. Anyway, I'm staying here until early September. But when I'm coming down again I'll give you a heads up and than I'll trade you my Il Sogno for the Armed Forces I just lost! :lol:
My email is: thomassland@hotmail.com, talk to me if you dare.
If you kinda went off the Latino craze and kinda became a bit of a gringo than Buenos Aires might be repulsive to you (I certainly hope not), but if not, than you will love the socially/culturally better Argentina. :wink:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You really need to learn how to spell, thomasso.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

bambooneedle wrote:FYI, it's also used in Spain (where it came from). But never mind them, they only speak Spanish Spanish (or 'Spanish').
Well dumb tourist here never heard that use in 5 years of dumbness in Spain, but heard it lots in BA, hence the comment.

Recoleta is nice. Purchasing an apartment sounds a slightly extreme suggestion!

Yerba mate. Never tried it. Sounds weird, but compelling. What do you think, Extreme Honey? That's a definite improvement on Thomasso. I can forgive you some of your misspelling and inability to look up who Robert Downey is for this.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
bambooneedle wrote:FYI, it's also used in Spain (where it came from). But never mind them, they only speak Spanish Spanish (or 'Spanish').
Well dumb tourist here never heard that use in 5 years of dumbness in Spain, but heard it lots in BA, hence the comment.

Yerba mate. Never tried it. Sounds weird, but compelling. What do you think, Extreme Honey? That's a definite improvement on Thomasso. I can forgive you some of your misspelling and inability to look up who Robert Downey is for this.
Ricoletta is mainly used in the kitchen as a recepie collaborator (like eggs and cream). But it's also very good to eat with crackers or Dulce de Membrillo.

Yerba Mate you won't like. Because it's very bitter and although it looks like it, it won't get you high. Which dissapoints many tourists :wink: . It's basically a few spoonfulls of argentine herbs placed on an often-silver Mate container. Then you add hot water and drink the herb-enhanced beauty. It's a daily custom to many argentines and it only adds to our beautiful culture :!:

Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:

Ricoletta is mainly used in the kitchen as a recepie collaborator (like eggs and cream). But it's also very good to eat with crackers or Dulce de Membrillo.

Yerba Mate you won't like. Because it's very bitter and although it looks like it, it won't get you high. Which dissapoints many tourists :wink: . It's basically a few spoonfulls of argentine herbs placed on an often-silver Mate container. Then you add hot water and drink the herb-enhanced beauty. It's a daily custom to many argentines and it only adds to our beautiful culture :!:

Im glad I m forgiveen 4 mi mispelin und 4 dat idiiot, Rubert Douni...
Blue Chair, I type fast do don't blame me :roll: .

miss buenos aires

I used to have an Argentinian roommate, so I've actually had my fair share of mate, and though it's not my favoritest thing to drink, a girl could get used to it. Relaxing.

And let's not get into critiquing spelling and grammar of our fellow posters, because there are whole complexes of glass houses 'round these parts...I should know, I live in one!
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Well dumb tourist here never heard that use in 5 years of dumbness in Spain, but heard it lots in BA, hence the comment.
Well, having lived all my life next to Argentina, having been more than once in Spain, and living for more than two years with a cuban roommate, I insist that bárbaro is Argentinian trademark (where is girl out of time, BTW? are you coming on october 21st?)
que no panda el cunico
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

¡Que barbaridad!

Idle Hands, you are incorrect-- it's not Argentinian trademark. I should know (grew up speaking Spanish having been born in Spain). I'm not making it up! Don't know how you both missed it there but it's an extremely common word: as the obvious noun for 'barbarian', as that same figure of speech alexv mentioned--"que bárbaro!" = approximately "how terrific!" (or stupendous or marvellous...), and also as literal adjective-- "Que bárbaro" = "How cruel".
alexv

Post by alexv »

Oyeme, Idlehands, no chives mas con el "barbaro", acere. Tu viviste con cubanos? Yo me crie en Cuba, compadre (por mala suerte). Y en el tiempo de Fidel, que mal rayo lo parta!! Los comunistas en mi cuadra se pasaban sus cagados dias diciendonos que Fidel era un "barbaro" con cojones mas grandes que los de cualquier yankee, los muy hijos de la gran putas (los comunistas, no los yankees). Mi suegro (un habanero viejo) se pasa la vida diciendome que Benny Moret era "el barbaro del ritmo". Ya me tiene loco con el Beny. Y ningunos de estos locos cubanos fueron a Argentina a buscar la palabra, che.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

alexv wrote:Oyeme, Idlehands, no chives mas con el "barbaro", acere. Tu viviste con cubanos? Yo me crie en Cuba, compadre (por mala suerte). Y en el tiempo de Fidel, que mal rayo lo parta!! Los comunistas en mi cuadra se pasaban sus cagados dias diciendonos que Fidel era un "barbaro" con cojones mas grandes que los de cualquier yankee, los muy hijos de la gran putas (los comunistas, no los yankees). Mi suegro (un habanero viejo) se pasa la vida diciendome que Benny Moret era "el barbaro del ritmo". Ya me tiene loco con el Beny. Y ningunos de estos locos cubanos fueron a Argentina a buscar la palabra, che.
LONG LIVE FIDEL CASTRO!!!!!!!!
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

no more comments, if it's in internet it must be true. :P
http://www.jergasdehablahispana.org
que no panda el cunico
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

http://www.jergasdehablahispana.org wrote:convierten el español neutro e insípido en algo pintoresco y vivo (they convert the neutral and insipid Spanish into something picturesque and alive).
Nice.

Well, which would it be then - trying to take credit for speaking "Spanish" or not? ...Or only when it suits to do so? I can't tell you the number of South Americans I've encountered here who pretend to be Spanish till they're found out for it, that's when they sometimes reject the idea of their Spanishhood pretty obnoxiously... "No, I meant I speak Spanish... all they did was rape and pillage us 400 years ago...".

You would do well to get beyond that sort of thinking.
miss buenos aires

Today is the day...wish me luck...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:Today is the day...wish me luck...
Best of luck, Miss Buenos Aires! Please be sure to let us all know once you've settled in.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Wow, MBA. Best of luck to you - hope you find something special there that makes the trip worthwhile. :)

Don't be a stranger!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

All the best. You are one of my favorite people, not just on the board but flat out anywhere, and I'm sure you will rock this bitch.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

good luck to you on your adventure, MBA. have fun, be careful, post all about it!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Best of luck MBA.

Keep us posted.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I will raise a glass in your honor tonight.....and I'll be praying for you. :wink:
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.