i hear that south america is coming into style...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

i hear that south america is coming into style...

Post by miss buenos aires »

I just gave notice at my job and am moving to Argentina in a month and a half. Thought you guys should know that I will finally be living up to my name...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

OMG! Are you serious ? ? ? ? :o
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

wow! that's fabulous! what, why, with whom etc.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Congrats on the move! Sounds very exciting.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You rock, MBA.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So are you going to be in a world of lacy lingerie?

Congratulations on making the decision although the possibility of you making a London meet up is even more remote :(
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Yeah, what everyone else said.

Maybe someday Blue & I can visit you there :wink:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Doesn't girl out of time live in Argentina? You should look her up.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wow. I must echo Moody's curiousity. What gives?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

mood swung wrote:wow! that's fabulous! what, why, with whom etc.
I'm just done with New York for a while. I feel like I had this whole idea in my head of what my life here was going to to be, and some parts of it have worked out, but many others, not so much. I just ended up stuck in a rut, in every which way, so I wanted to make a big, dramatic change. Now that I know parts of Europe pretty well, I want to explore South America a little bit; it's certainly more manageable, linguistically, than many other areas. And Argentina is very cheap, but also pretty safe. And of course, Buenos Aires is considered the Paris of South America...

So I'm going to be in a monthlong English as a Foreign Language teaching program, and then hopefully get a job teaching English. (In marked contrast to Europe, work visas are not a big deal in Argentina.) In any case, I'll have enough money saved up (thanks, dumb job!) to stay at least a couple of months, avoid the yucky NYC winter.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:I'm just done with New York for a while. I feel like I had this whole idea in my head of what my life here was going to to be, and some parts of it have worked out, but many others, not so much. I just ended up stuck in a rut, in every which way, so I wanted to make a big, dramatic change. Now that I know parts of Europe pretty well, I want to explore South America a little bit; it's certainly more manageable, linguistically, than many other areas. And Argentina is very cheap, but also pretty safe. And of course, Buenos Aires is considered the Paris of South America...

So I'm going to be in a monthlong English as a Foreign Language teaching program, and then hopefully get a job teaching English. (In marked contrast to Europe, work visas are not a big deal in Argentina.) In any case, I'll have enough money saved up (thanks, dumb job!) to stay at least a couple of months, avoid the yucky NYC winter.
Ah, freedom. I remember that!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Cool! As someone who went this way post-university (Madrid, Berlin, Barcelona), and has subsequently made a career editing texts on this front for secondary school-aged kids, which involves visits to places like Argentina (twice), I can relate and condone! I love BA. It reminds me of Madrid 20 years ago, when I first went there, and the telephone boxes are the same, due to Spanish Telefonica controlling them. It helps if you love slabs of steak and red wine. I ate and drink nothing but for a week. And the tango is fun too. The Spanish is amazing - the 'vos' form for 'tu', with the verb form stressed on the final syllable ('like 'estás'), and 'll' has the sound of 's' in 'pleasure', so '¿Como te llamas?' becomes '¿Como vos llamás?' It's amazingly European in its heritage. I don't think I've met anyone there who didn't have Italian or Gallego (as in Galicia, north-west Spain) blood. I have heard nothing of late regarding the economic sitaution, which was of course seriously bad 2-3 years ago, but think it's generally on the mend. Desperate situation of a country with rich resources and the potential to have the highest GNP per capita getting bankrupt due to complete and utter mismanagement.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Congrats to you!! The travel instinct should be obeyed, if you are unfettered enough to do it! I have every intention of moving, at least part-time, to London or Glasgow the minute my son goes to college.

I look forward to hearing tales of a Jersey Girl in South America!
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

Buenos Aires is a terrific decision. Is heaven for any literature lover, unbelievable bookstores and really cheap books... although 2000km to the west, only after a 2 hours flight, near the ocean pacific, is even better :wink:
And you'll be right on time for the BUE Festival on late October, Elvis is coming, and with some luck I'm coming also.

Good luck!!
que no panda el cunico
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Fortunately with the internet being a global resource, the old axiom hopefully will be re-written as: You can take the girl out of the country but you cannot take the girl out of the EC Fan Forum ;)

I shall try my hardest not to cry for you.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Stand back, Buenos Aires....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This was a pleasant discovery after my recent post defending Madonna on another thread. Bully for you MBA!

I want to be a part of BA, Buenos Aires, Big Apple.....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Good luck!! A brave decision, just hope you can keep posting.
signed with love and vicious kisses
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Best wishes for your stay in Argentina Miss BA.

Otis Westinghouse wrote:The Spanish is amazing - the 'vos' form for 'tu', with the verb form stressed on the final syllable ('like 'estás'), and 'll' has the sound of 's' in 'pleasure', so '¿Como te llamas?' becomes '¿Como vos llamás?'
It's not really Spanish anymore then, is it, especially as, besides the different pronunciations, many words belong specifically to the particular variation of it depending on the South American country. It should really be called Argentinian, or Urugayian, or Chilean etc... like Brazillian as opposed to Portuguese.
miss buenos aires

bambooneedle wrote:Best wishes for your stay in Argentina Miss BA.

Otis Westinghouse wrote:The Spanish is amazing - the 'vos' form for 'tu', with the verb form stressed on the final syllable ('like 'estás'), and 'll' has the sound of 's' in 'pleasure', so '¿Como te llamas?' becomes '¿Como vos llamás?'
It's not really Spanish anymore then, is it, especially as, besides the different pronunciations, many words belong specifically to the particular variation of it depending on the South American country. It should really be called Argentinian, or Urugayian, or Chilean etc... like Brazillian as opposed to Portuguese.
I guess the question is, does Argentina have an army? Because they say a language is just a dialect with an army...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Right, and we don't speak any English, just American without tears.

Elvis quotes aside, that seems a very patronizing view of language, Boo. One of my French teachers in college was Haitian and I was much the better for it. I have a much easier time with Caribbean French, and even African French, for having had the exposure.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

selfmademug wrote:Right, and we don't speak any English, just American without tears.

Elvis quotes aside, that seems a very patronizing view of language, Boo. One of my French teachers in college was Haitian and I was much the better for it. I have a much easier time with Caribbean French, and even African French, for having had the exposure.
The learning curve for someone new to French would be steep though, wouldn't it... so of course you'd grasp a great deal of the use of French from some initial exposure even from varying dialects. But I don't think my comparison is patronizing because, being pretty familiar with classic Spanish (Castellano, with a 'y' sound as in yours for 'll'), I find it difficult to understand many South American's use of "Spanish" when many of their words (that aren't slang) are alien to me and I need clarification on their meaning. And it especially bothers me if, at the same time there's an insistence that they speak Spanish there's a selective emphaticness when pressed on the point about how different they are as peoples to the Spanish. Especially of course whenever there's a hint of contempt about it (far from always and anyway not related to my main point).
Last edited by bambooneedle on Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I didn't mean that it helped me learn French; I'm saying that the French I know is broader and more interesting for having included both a European version and a Caribbean version.

I'm just saying that, given the state of the world, what constitutes Spanish is bigger than what is spoken in Spain. It may be a different Spanish, but it's Spanish, same as the language I speak is English. Americans use and accept different emphases, pronunciations, vocabulary, meanings and even different grammatical constructions from those used in the UK, but I seriously doubt anyone would say that what we speak over here is not English.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

but I seriously doubt anyone would say that what we speak over here is not English.
Anyone apart from me of course!!

What you speak over there is not English. It's Japanese.
signed with love and vicious kisses
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

SMM - I must assume by that that you know a lot of French then, that you are especially sensitive to most differences of it and so your use isn't impeded by them. But there are big differences between South American' use of Spanish and the Spanish's use of Spanish, so it helps if differentiations are acknowledged-- to learn Spanish for Chile is not necessarily to learn Spanish for Spain, or vice versa for that matter. Ok, how about 'Chilean Spanish' or 'Argentinian Spanish'...