Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by Boy With A Problem »

An absolute screamer by Dempsey. I don't think there's an English goalkeeper alive who could have stopped it.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

BWAP< you made me laugh out loud - and you can forget about a copy of the Carolina Symphony show at Meltdown !!
Boy With A Problem

All in good fun Sulky Lad....and it's the Boston Pops show!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks for the news BWAP, that means I've got a nice Cary show free for anyone that wants it at meltdown !!
Back to footie, we haven't been a World class side since 1970 (with the possible exception of 1990) but we still go to every championship expecting to win. Sometimes I can't believe how stupid I am to hope for a revival of 1966 !
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

England will not prosper until all the tottenham (and west ham) scum are expunged from the team.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

James Milner had a stormer too!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:James Milner had a stormer too!
£30m player. Someone's having a laugh.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Go, Camaroon!

p.s. radio sucks.

Josie was impressed that all these teams were getting up so early to play. :lol: the whole wide world is east tennessee...as it should be. :mrgreen:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Love the Kermit thing.

I am not confident, and have been uncomfortable with a lot of Capello's decisions, but has been difficult to criticise while England were having a good run. Green wouldn't be in my top 5 English keepers, and although there is not a stand keeper, James or Hart would be much preferable. James is prone to gaffes of the Green magnitude but much less in his later more mature years, and Hart has been the most consistant keeper in the prem this last season. King was not worth the risk imo, he always gets injured and plucking JC out of the wilderness was ridiculous - he has had his worst season ever and has never had enough pace for internation games imo. None of Joe Cole, SWP, Heskey, Crouch have been regular starters for their club sides and don't justify selection apart from maybe Crouch ho has a decent international record and offers alternative. As JCole didn't start the USA game and wasn't even considered a gd enough sub for Milner when is he going to get a game? I suppose he has roved that he is gd at sitting on the bench. England shd still qualify out of this very poor group, but I don't think they wd have much chance against the top teams (Spain, Brazil, Argies, Netherlands, Germany, Italy) so QF at best is my guess.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

do u twtr?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Love the Kermit thing.

I am not confident, and have been uncomfortable with a lot of Capello's decisions, but has been difficult to criticise while England were having a good run. Green wouldn't be in my top 5 English keepers, and although there is not a stand keeper, James or Hart would be much preferable. James is prone to gaffes of the Green magnitude but much less in his later more mature years, and Hart has been the most consistant keeper in the prem this last season. King was not worth the risk imo, he always gets injured and plucking JC out of the wilderness was ridiculous - he has had his worst season ever and has never had enough pace for internation games imo. None of Joe Cole, SWP, Heskey, Crouch have been regular starters for their club sides and don't justify selection apart from maybe Crouch ho has a decent international record and offers alternative. As JCole didn't start the USA game and wasn't even considered a gd enough sub for Milner when is he going to get a game? I suppose he has roved that he is gd at sitting on the bench. England shd still qualify out of this very poor group, but I don't think they wd have much chance against the top teams (Spain, Brazil, Argies, Netherlands, Germany, Italy) so QF at best is my guess.
Sounds about right. I too was puzzled by Milner's inclusion, since he had been suffering from a high temperature in training. If he's worth £30m then Steve Cherundolo should be worth £35m. :lol:

I don't think either USA or England have much to worry about against Algeria or Slovenia, who were both incredibly poor, but I suppose there could be a shock result. More likely both get knocked out once we pass the group stage.

Germans the most impressive so far, by far.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Germany looked good by oz were poor and teams that start that well quite oftn get hit with expectaion and go on to fail - like Argentina at the last WC.

Never twit twatted
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

you would be a natural.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

It is usually embarrassing to be aware/unaware of overpaid 'manager' picking wrong players in wrong positions with wrong approach to game of footie (logic = usually score more than the opposition). Overpaid manager = French or 'England' manager etc.

I am fortunate/unfortunate enough to have participated in arranging my life to see all of these 64 WC games on tellie, and so far have admired the Germans/Mexicans/Argentinians/South and North Koreans. The African sides could/should do better. I have always liked USA, and was sadly proved right when a poor England failed to win. I hope that USA and England manage to win today.

I believe that it is still the case no side wins WC if 'managed' by 'non-national'.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Hard to believe but England are facing an early exit from World Cup after this disastrous performance against Algeria.
Why does Capello keep on playing Heskey? The guy looks like a plank of wood most of the time, utterly useless.
Could Joe Cole make a difference?
I still think leaving Theo Walcott and Adam Johnson was not a good idea.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

As a fervent Anglophile I don't believe we won't qualify for the next round, although topping the group now seems against the odds, but not impossible.
That was, however, the worst England performance for many a year, and inferior to anything McLaren produced, which is saying something.
Nevertheless Italia '90 started with 2 draws, so you never know........
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I agree with IP. Adam Johnson was the form player at the end of season, and Walcott has proven record at international football. Instead we have Heskey and SWP. The one good thing about last night is that Jamie 'I can only be arsed to play for England if there is a chance of glory at the world cup but don't want to bother with qualifiers against the likes of the Faroe Isles or mid-season frindlies against Columbia' Carragher is banned for the next game and so hopefully we will never see the fat whiney scouse carthorse in an England shirt ever again.

There seems to be a lack of pace in the squad which Walcott and Johnson cd have helped with but also players like Agbonlahor, Ashley Young.

I don't think really think that Joe Cole is the answer, although unleashing him for the next game may give some impetus. If Capello isn't going to use him in those first two games when both games called for a bit of craft then why is he even in the squad?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

USA/Slovenia did not look as bad as it sounded on radio. This is not saying much, but we wuz robbed. I am very tired of our comefrombehind heroics. can we please just dominate once in a while?

Didn't get to watch the Englishters yet, but damn. Thought you guys were supposed to be Da Shit. :D For Real. I've read stories about how our guys were literally shaking in their shinguards prior to that friendly last year.

Slovenia! They are now my 2nd favorite team.

I am officially changing my picks. Argentina. Mexico looks good, but they will go postal soon.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm afraid I'm saving myself for the Prem. Too much with the predictions game we run at work, and I never really enjoy it for these tournaments. Good luck!

PS Can't wait to piss all over you lot on Saturday.
*crickets*

Congratulations, though, on your second-place finish in the group. Good luck against the Germans. :D
Boy With A Problem

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm afraid I'm saving myself for the Prem. Too much with the predictions game we run at work, and I never really enjoy it for these tournaments. Good luck!

PS Can't wait to piss all over you lot on Saturday.
*crickets*

Congratulations, though, on your second-place finish in the group. Good luck against the Germans. :D
Congratulations to England on making it through - and special applause for the way the English media, fans, players and team management have comported themselves throughout the first stage of the tournemant. :P

How about a couple of those outlet passes from Tim Howard? Even when he's not being tested that much he can make a difference.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I was like, what's up with that puffed up face and then I saw the spit.

LD is on the front page of Investor's Business Daily. I think I woke up in the wrong country, but it's pretty freaking awesome!

p.s. Go, Englishters!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Will miss the German game cos I'll be watching Elvis & Sugarcanes!

I regret my woefully inappropriate attitude to playing against the US and will never, ever big England up in a tournament again. I should have learned by now.

It's not as if they're Man Utd or anything...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I started singin’,
"bye-bye, miss ....
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Ugh. I will now pull for Ghana and (gasp) England. After all, as a Brit friend of mine recently pointed out, the American Revolution was really just an English civil war.