Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by mood swung »

cars and freedom, baby! :D

but, yeah, ugh. I just feel really really bad for the team. they looked pretty gassed there at the end. the backlash began as soon as the final whistle.

edited to add this, because it's the greatest commercial EVER and some of you might not have seen it.

Last edited by mood swung on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

signed with love and vicious kisses
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Am now solidly in my brother-in-laws camp with today's convincing 2-1 victory over Slovakia. Unfortunately, will now have to don an orange jersey to honor Theo and his team.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
nord

Post by nord »

Why don´t anyone talk about how overpayed, overrated and how BAD the England team played?

Brazil will win.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

nord wrote:Why don´t anyone talk about how overpayed, overrated and how BAD the England team played?
I think England's dismal performance needs no further comment. Wonder if they keep Crapello. What a miserable old fart.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jack of All Parades

Great joy on certain streets of Beacon this afternoon-Holland has advanced into the semis-2 to 1 over Brazil-Heinekens are on Theo tonight and I'll be 'amster-damned'!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Crazy Joy in my extended Dutch household today as the Dutch advance to the finals-bring on either Germany or Spain! The Dutch coach said we have won politely in the past and never brought the cup home so now they are going to win ugly and take it back to Amsterdam- my brother in law will have to watch the game next week while in Costa Rica on vacation-what a hardship!!!!
Jack of All Parades

Bring on Spain- the Dutch are ready- two best teams are in!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Bring on Spain- the Dutch are ready- two best teams are in!
meh, not that enthused by this matchup. Would have preferred Germany to Spain. Two teams in as a result of great individual performances - by Sneijder and Villa.
Jack of All Parades

WSS- cannot claim to be the greatest football fan but I have enjoyed the game with the tutelage offered by my brother in law. Dutch born and raised, I have had fun these weeks watching through his eyes. I hope my extended family in Holland will have much to celebrate on Sunday. I just like the fact that it is two teams with little recent success on this stage in recent years. I have also enjoyed the deft and agile play of the Spanish mid fielders as they pounce on and control the ball. The same goes for the Dutch. I am in awe at how skillful they are at moving the ball down the field. Truthfully either team can win and I will be happy just more so if that team is sporting 'orange' jerseys.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:WSS- cannot claim to be the greatest football fan but I have enjoyed the game with the tutelage offered by my brother in law. Dutch born and raised, I have had fun these weeks watching through his eyes. I hope my extended family in Holland will have much to celebrate on Sunday. I just like the fact that it is two teams with little recent success on this stage in recent years. I have also enjoyed the deft and agile play of the Spanish mid fielders as they pounce on and control the ball. The same goes for the Dutch. I am in awe at how skillful they are at moving the ball down the field. Truthfully either team can win and I will be happy just more so if that team is sporting 'orange' jerseys.
Definitely should be lots of skill on display. I have an aversion to Spain because of their constant flopping and gamesmanship, so I suppose I'll be pulling for the Oranje, though Robben's not much better with his antics.
Jack of All Parades

All the same hope you enjoy the game! Strange the lack of chatter about the event given past football talk on this thread. I suppose do to the falling off of so many people's favorites.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Spain are hardly a one man team, and are far from the biggest divers. They have improved greatly thoughout the tournement and totally outclassed the Germans. Their philosophy is to keep the ball which stops the oppo being able to attack. This also wears the oppo out as they have to run about a lot more. Xavi has been total class in my opinion, and as well as Villa, Iniesta and Alonso have been consistantly good and Pedro looked good in the semi when he started in preference to Torres. I think the Spanish will edge it, although the Dutch are also very good and Sneijder (sp?) has stood out as their best player, with Robben looking dangerous in their latter matches. Looking forward to the final - it will make a change from Brazil/Germany/Italy.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Spain are hardly a one man team, and are far from the biggest divers.

Yeah, some pretty passing from Xavi, but precious little end product. Kinda like Arsenal.

Villa created several of their goals out of nothing.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Enough with the Spain-bashing! Germany looked totally invincible until Wednesday, brushing the mighty Argentina aside like they were ... England. Spain contained them from the outset and began playing like the brilliant team that won the Euro. Torres has been hugely disappointing, and they need to work on the end-product (Pedro's non-shot and non-pass moment on Wednesday was a shocker), but I expect them to play very well on Sunday. Xavi and Iniesta are sublime.

I think it will be a cracker and so exciting that two non-winners are there. Holland losing in 1974 was one of my early big football traumas. My great aunt was visiting and to my horror they planned to take her out for a cream tea. I begged to be left in the house, just under the age of 10, to watch it and was granted my wish. Went mental when Holland got the early penalty. Was heartbroken when Germany got 2 back. July 10, 36 years ago.

Go Spain! But if Holland win, take that Germany!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Yeah, that Xavi dude - he's like the Spanish Landon Donovan or something.

I keed. Unwad panties!

Seriously, I have - having no one else today to talk trash with - made a bet with my dog. It goes Oranje, she gets the dog park. It goes Furia Roja, I get to sleep in next Saturday.

ESPN, I <3 your WC coverage.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Jack of All Parades

Most disappointed- at least two excellent chances by Robben to no avail. My brother-in-law, Theo, has emailed "the best team won". At least he is a good sport.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Most disappointed- at least two excellent chances by Robben to no avail. My brother-in-law, Theo, has emailed "the best team won". At least he is a good sport.
He must also be a good liar. Spain 1-0'ed and dove their way to a World Cup. God I hate them!
Otis Westinghouse

Don't know what game you were watching, WSS, but every single commentator acknowledges the deserving team won. The game came close to being ruined by Dutch dirtiness, especially in the first half, and Webb's desire to avoid excessive controversy by not sending off De Jong for an absurd offence and Van Bommel for about 4 yellow cardable offences was probably too lenient, but he managed to hold it together, as at times it might have simmered over. Spain started well, lost it a bit, then played superbly in the second half and ET. 100% deserving winners, not just on the night but of the tournament. Their ball skills are frequently sublime. The amount of subtle and accurate back passes and general one touch wizardry was a joy to behold. Their finishing was lacking, but Navas was very sharp when he came for a not so impressive Pedro, and made them seem more dangerous. Nice that Torres assisted Iniesta's brilliant goal. Xavi and Iniesta proved yet again, as per the Euro 2012 and frequently for Barça, that they are the best midfield combo in the world.

Well done Spain. Wish I'd been back in Madrid celebrating. So happy to see them get their name on it at last.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Don't know what game you were watching, WSS, but every single commentator acknowledges the deserving team won. The game came close to being ruined by Dutch dirtiness, especially in the first half, and Webb's desire to avoid excessive controversy by not sending off De Jong for an absurd offence and Van Bommel for about 4 yellow cardable offences was probably too lenient, but he managed to hold it together, as at times it might have simmered over. Spain started well, lost it a bit, then played superbly in the second half and ET. 100% deserving winners, not just on the night but of the tournament. Their ball skills are frequently sublime. The amount of subtle and accurate back passes and general one touch wizardry was a joy to behold. Their finishing was lacking, but Navas was very sharp when he came for a not so impressive Pedro, and made them seem more dangerous. Nice that Torres assisted Iniesta's brilliant goal. Xavi and Iniesta proved yet again, as per the Euro 2012 and frequently for Barça, that they are the best midfield combo in the world.

Well done Spain. Wish I'd been back in Madrid celebrating. So happy to see them get their name on it at last.
Their sublime ball skills mean jack shit if they don't result in anything. The only goal yesterday resulted from a Dutch mistake. Let's face it - they were very very lucky to get past Paraguay. They cheated to get a Chilean player sent off. Accurate back passes? Please. They were nowhere close to the best team in this tournament but got through by the skin of their teeth. A number of teams played better football and provided more excitement than Spain, including Germany, Argentina and Uruguay. So congratulations I guess, but don't ask me to praise their football because more often than not it was subpar. Possession is lovely but ten consecutive passes between defenders and midfielders doesn't do it for me - sorry.
Otis Westinghouse

On numerous occasions in the final and previously players passed to the man behind with perfect accuracy. So many of their touches are like this, superbly confident and full of artistry. Germany were a revelation in terms of scoring and getting results, but Spain outclassed them.

Hansen et al all make valid points:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 808636.stm

The ironic figure looming over yesterday's final was Cruyff. He was the one who so made me want Holland to win in '74, and he was the one whose one touch Total Football genius made Barcelona the team they are now, so last night we had the Cruyff legacy against a team betraying the memory of Cruyff through thuggery. Cue Johann:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 812484.stm

Wish I was back in Madrid right now.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

No doubt about it - Holland were pretty awful.

I would have liked to have seen Spain make their technical superiority count and really rip a team apart, but they never did that and even yesterday could easily have lost if Robben had put one of his chances away. If Casillas hadn't come up huge on multiple occasions then Spain, for all their possession, would have been nowhere near the final.

Player of the tournament for me was Müller - that kid is going to be special. It was also a treat to watch Forlan.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Spain won me £160 in the World Cup sweep at my local pub.

I thought it was a great final and both sides showed how far England are away from being a major force.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I thought it was a great final and both sides showed how far England are away from being a major force.
Great? Really?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Spain - the lowest scoring world champions ever. FACT.