Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Did that bother you when Chelsea ground out all those 1-0s in the Mourinho days? Wengeresque pretty play with Mourinhoesque results. What's not to love?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Did that bother you when Chelsea ground out all those 1-0s in the Mourinho days? Wengeresque pretty play with Mourinhoesque results. What's not to love?
Go back and look at Chelsea's goal scoring record in those two championship years. Your argument does not stand up to scrutiny.

72 goals scored in 2004-2005 and 2005-2006. Arsenal's thrilling "invincibles" only managed 73 in 2003-2004. Man Utd scored a whopping 74 the year before when they won it.

Of course we smashed the record with 103 this season, so yes I know from free scoring football. :D

Next.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Well it felt that way at the time... 1-0 was their customary style. What was he distribution of results? There must have been the odd 6-1 to get that total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Well it felt that way at the time... 1-0 was their customary style. What was he distribution of results? There must have been the odd 6-1 to get that total.
Oddly, no. Never scored more than 4 in a league game in 2004-2005 and scored 5 only once in 2005-2006.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

sulky lad wrote:I reckon I'm a fairly knowledgeable football fan and I didn't know Ryan boy was of mixed race and I doubt SLL would have deliberately been racist about the Welsh wonder (sic) had he known, but for heaven's sake, if he molted every year to get a winter coat. Old Trafford would be knee deep in pubes by November !!! He is incredibly hirsute but as the Kennel Club says "Beautifully marked and almost completely house-trained"
Probably too late for this, but here are "Six Great Facts About Ryan Giggs"

http://deadspin.com/5587031/here-you-go ... ryan-giggs
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

on the eve of the new PL season, we all know Everton will come top

( evidence for the defense - if last season had started in November - ok I accept that is a really big IF with 2 defeats in 24 and one of those by the cheating red s***e we would have only been topped by MUFC and now we've got everyone fit)

so who do we think will come second?

My heart says Blackpool my head says Arsenal with MU and Spurs coming next in that order.

Three for the parachute payments : the 3 "W"s - Wigan, West Brom and Liverpool

What does the team think?

Seat 32 row B
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Below is the current table from the BBC website. I think no.1 could stay there all season!

1 Arsenal 0 0 0
2 Aston Villa 0 0 0
3 Birmingham 0 0 0
4 Blackburn 0 0 0
5 Blackpool 0 0 0
6 Bolton 0 0 0
7 Chelsea 0 0 0
8 Everton 0 0 0
9 Fulham 0 0 0
10 Liverpool 0 0 0
11 Man City 0 0 0
12 Man Utd 0 0 0
13 Newcastle 0 0 0
14 Stoke 0 0 0
15 Sunderland 0 0 0
16 Tottenham 0 0 0
17 West Brom 0 0 0
18 West Ham 0 0 0
19 Wigan 0 0 0
20 Wolves 0 0 0
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

My prediction

Arse
Chel
MU
Scum
Eve
MC
Liv
Villa
Ful
Stok
Birm
Sun
wh
bolt
Newc
BlacR
Wig
WB
Wol
Bpool
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis, any thoughts on the spat between Red Nose and the "Divine Roon"?
Otis Westinghouse

Bye, bye Wayne. You were good in your day. We have no more use for you.

Moral of the story: never expect loyalty from Scousers at the Theatre of Dreams.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Bye, bye Wayne. You were good in your day. We have no more use for you.

Moral of the story: never expect loyalty from Scousers at the Theatre of Dreams.
:lol: :lol:

Easy come easy go.
Otis Westinghouse

And anyway, we've got Nani. And, er, Obertan.

Nice hat-trick Gareth Bale - incredible game. Three goals from a very similar position. What a shame he couldn't get a fourth!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Austin, being all of 16 full of knowledge, insists SAF is one Mean Dude. He also believes in Brett Favre's innocence.

He has been raised right and I hope it's a long long time before he becomes a cynic.
:lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Bye, bye Wayne. You were good in your day. We have no more use for you.

Glad I got that on the record before he decided to stay! :lol: :lol:
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

No big Football aficionado but I see where Mr. Rooney is now staying in Manchester with what would seem to be a salary of near $300,000.00 a week- a man has to live! For the record looked at his statistics for the season to date- 1 goal and that came on a penalty kick. Great deal!!! Looks like a Yankee contract from the old days.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
alexv

Post by alexv »

This is what I don't understand about this Rooney thing. And I may be wrong in a big way , since I am new to this game, having started watching the games only a couple of years ago. My first introduction to ManU was the team that had Rudd something or other as the main goal scorer, with the red headed midfielder. That seemed like a good team to me, and exciting to watch. Ronaldo was just getting going then, doing lots of fancy stuff that frequently got him nothing but boos from the fans. But even I could see he was talented. Then his version of the team, with Rooney as a partner, and that other guy with the funny headband and fancy footwork was fun to watch. But Ronaldo leaves, and it's just Rooney and the older guys and some new guys with potential but who just don't score. The team was still successful, good coaching, mystique, and quality players, but it was clear even to me that a team like Chelsea's key players are far superior to their key players. For a team with ManU's tradition I found it odd that they would simply settle for a successful team, but a boring team that could only win the thing if the other top teams faltered. So when Rooney acted up and said i'm leaving since I don't see a commitment to winning I kind of thought he was right. Maybe there are subtleties to the ManU game these days or the approach of Sir Alex (by the way I loved the way he referred to Rooney recently as "the boy"; would never happen in US sports)that I am missing. Likely in fact, but I hope that Rooney's ploy gets them to bring in some new players.
alexv

Post by alexv »

This is what I don't understand about this Rooney thing. And I may be wrong in a big way , since I am new to this game, having started watching the games only a couple of years ago. My first introduction to ManU was the team that had Rudd something or other as the main goal scorer, with the red headed midfielder. That seemed like a good team to me, and exciting to watch. Ronaldo was just getting going then, doing lots of fancy stuff that frequently got him nothing but boos from the fans. But even I could see he was talented. Then his version of the team, with Rooney as a partner, and that other guy with the funny headband and fancy footwork was fun to watch. But Ronaldo leaves, and it's just Rooney and the older guys and some new guys with potential but who just don't score. The team was still successful, good coaching, mystique, and quality players, but it was clear even to me that a team like Chelsea's key players are far superior to their key players. For a team with ManU's tradition I found it odd that they would simply settle for a successful team, but a boring team that could only win the thing if the other top teams faltered. So when Rooney acted up and said i'm leaving since I don't see a commitment to winning I kind of thought he was right. Maybe there are subtleties to the ManU game these days or the approach of Sir Alex (by the way I loved the way he referred to Rooney recently as "the boy"; would never happen in US sports)that I am missing. Likely in fact, but I hope that Rooney's ploy gets them to bring in some new players.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Sorry about the double post. I guess the less I know the more I post.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

alexv wrote:This is what I don't understand about this Rooney thing. And I may be wrong in a big way , since I am new to this game, having started watching the games only a couple of years ago. My first introduction to ManU was the team that had Rudd something or other as the main goal scorer, with the red headed midfielder. That seemed like a good team to me, and exciting to watch. Ronaldo was just getting going then, doing lots of fancy stuff that frequently got him nothing but boos from the fans. But even I could see he was talented. Then his version of the team, with Rooney as a partner, and that other guy with the funny headband and fancy footwork was fun to watch. But Ronaldo leaves, and it's just Rooney and the older guys and some new guys with potential but who just don't score. The team was still successful, good coaching, mystique, and quality players, but it was clear even to me that a team like Chelsea's key players are far superior to their key players. For a team with ManU's tradition I found it odd that they would simply settle for a successful team, but a boring team that could only win the thing if the other top teams faltered. So when Rooney acted up and said i'm leaving since I don't see a commitment to winning I kind of thought he was right. Maybe there are subtleties to the ManU game these days or the approach of Sir Alex (by the way I loved the way he referred to Rooney recently as "the boy"; would never happen in US sports)that I am missing. Likely in fact, but I hope that Rooney's ploy gets them to bring in some new players.
The problem is that the Glazer family need to service their debt, so the money you would expect to be poured back into new signings has gone elsewhere. That's what Rooney is getting at with his antics. In general you're correct that Man Utd has not done much to refresh its squad in recent years (Chicharito being a rare exception). I assume they've given Rooney assurances that there will be new players coming in to replace aging veterans like Giggs, Scholes and Van der Sar, but where that money will come from is anyone's guess.
alexv

Post by alexv »

The article below is a prime example of how the game is catching on over here. More on Rooney and the gang. Question for the group: why is the salary referenced in terms of weeks? Do they get paid for weeks played?

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/2 ... ref=sports
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

[MLS interruption]

I watched this and still didn't believe it went in.

[/end MLS interruption]

[begin smugnicity]

and I say that with love in my heart. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Chelsea 0 Sunderland 3
Wonderland

Just that. Oh, and this ->

"Terry could be out for months"
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I watched the game on Sunday and could not believe my eyes, especially that I'd made Ashley Cole my FFL captain.

Not that I wish Terry any serious injury, but I won't miss his face.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Going to Toronto for MLS Cup final this weekend, even though we are not in it. Also visiting RedShoes and Blue Chair for a few days. Should be fun.
Otis Westinghouse

Wot, no Chelsea comments? :lol:

I too made the foolish mistake of captaining Ashley - if only I'd gone for Bale. I was thinking of selling him due to his refusal to turn it on in the Prem the way he does against Inter, but boy did he make me glad I didn't. On a good day he's unstoppably talented.