Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Chelsea are looking pretty hot right now, ain't they?
Yes they are. But Wolves are terrible. Worst team I've seen in the PL in a number of years. No quality whatsoever - a dead cert for relegation. Still, it's nice to see Crespo banging in goals.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

How unlucky is having one player have his leg broken by a complete tosser and another break his ankle, both in the same game?! But what's this I see? The 'Pool are looking bloody fantastic now. The way they played on Saturday very nearly brought a tear to my eye. Our players must break legs more often!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Here's some anonymous gossip for you all...

A friend of mine with a FIFA license has just told me that Roberto Carlos is in talks with Chelsea!

Does their empire building never cease?

Off to Celtic v Lyon tonight. Will be a hard game for all the Glasgow teams tonight!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Roberto Carlos is the most over-rated footballer I have ever seen. He's a terrible defender and he hasn't taken a decent free kick in years. I hop Chelsea do sign him!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

JM - What do you think about the end of Hod, and who do you think might want the job. I can't believe that O'Neill would want it, can you?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Honestly can't see us getting Roberto Carlos. I think we are fine with what we currently have.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

SLL

I was sad to see the back of Hod. However, I need to qualify this.

The best analogy I can think of is when you know that your beloved pet has a terminal illness and that he needs to be put down. It's painful and you don't feel good about it, but it has to be done. I feel guilty for being so relieved. We were going nowhere fast and he'd lost the plot (sadly).

O'Neill's style of football would not go down well at WHL. He's always been a long ball merchant and his Leicester side were boring as hell.
He's also a bit of an attention seeker....can never make his mind up and likes to keep everybody waiting for his decision. Can't be doing with all that bollocks.

I'd love to see Curbishley at the Lane. I like his self-deprecating style and I believe him to be the most successful manager of the last 10 years, excluding Fergie (and possibly that french geezer of yours). He's also a Londoner and knows the premiership well. He wouldn't need time to settle and he'd have immediate respect from the players. He'd jump at the chance as well............he only lives two miles from the training ground.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think Tottenham's next manager might just be a Scotsman... :wink:

I don't agree with you about O'Neill's style of football though, true he favours a 'rugged' defender (preferably playing a back 3) but his teams play with commitment and passion, and there always some skillful playmakers... you have to remember the resources he works with as well. Look at his record and what he's won...nuff said.
Alpal

Post by Alpal »

Footy question. I was wondering if there were any decent, free websites with football highlights. I guess that wasn't a question. Just a football starved American.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

JM - I have high admiration for Curbishley and what he has done at Charlton (I grew up in south London and Charlton have always been my 2nd team) and I therefore hope that he doesn't go to Tottenham but holds out until a big club want him :lol: . Instead of 'Curbs' how about having the 'kerb crawler' back full-time :lol: .

lc -
but his teams play with commitment and passion
yeah but tottenham want pretty boy football not necessarily success :lol: .
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I don't think Redknapp or Curbishley play 'prety boy football' either though, they just get good solid teams on a budget. If the Spurs wanted to splash out (which they don't seem to want to, preferring to buy a few 1-2million pound players than 1 or 2 3-6million pound players) then they should employ Guus Hiddink or Dick Advocaat, someone along those lines.
Plus if they go for Curbishley, he'll just bring in half the Charlton squad, and you won't be any better off.

Thr best football website I can think of is teamtalk.com (although sometimes it has weird rumours on there) and for a laugh, football365.com (which made Danny Kelly a millionairre!) is great.
Most english premiership and division 1 teams have highlights on their websites if you register.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I love O'Neill's passion and integrity. He's a completely admirable and honourable figure. I'd love to see him at Old Trafford when the sad day comes, I think he's the ony person around at present who'd have what it takes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

You're right Otis..it looks like it's gonna be one of O'Neill or McLeish in the Old Trafford hot seat IMHO.

Steve Bruce and Bryan Robson don't have the 'big time' know-how. Erikkson is possible but hasn't done very well with England, Wenger's record in Europe is abysmal. Otmar Hitzfeld will probably retire. Graeme Souness has the wrong connections (even though he hates Liverpool now).
Otis Westinghouse

Alan Green, 1 pm: 'And Liverpool are playing absolutely wonderful football'!!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Liverpool did play bloody well! An own-goal from Hyypia and an injured Owen is all we have to show for it. Was meant to be in the library today, working. Went to the pub instead :shock: . Wasn't my fault.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah they were unlucky, and is Owen out now? I saw Eric Carrierre play for Lyonnais midweek, and he is outstanding...exactly who Liverpool should buy up for central midfield come Christmas.

Wolves got their first win. Hurrah!
Last edited by laughingcrow on Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

3-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....I regard O'Neill as a bit of an attention seeking little boy myself. When he was at Leicester, he seemed to enjoy asking their fans to love him just a little bit more. Every time an approach was made for him, he dragged it out for weeks into a 'will he, won't he' type drama. Personally, I don't think that Man Utd would go for him or (esp) McLeish. They'll bring in some foreign dude.

I'll probably be breaking the law if I tell you, but I have it on good authority which club it was that were involved in the alleged gang rape incident in a London hotel last week. I think that this could be a disaster for the club involved and we may well see their manager parting the ways soon. He was reported to have resigned last week over the affair, but the club persuaded him otherwise.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Excellent result for Arse, has Houllier resigned yet.
I saw Eric Carrierre play for Lyonnais midweek, and he is outstanding...exactly who Liverpool should buy up for central midfield come Christmas.
methinks they got less money than the arse, what with Kewells wages and the over the top prices they paid for diouf etc last year. Maybe they should try selling someone to Chelsea at an overinflated price (man u got away with it!!).

Why is it when Scholes does a clear dive in the penalty area and gets the goalie sent off he gets away with it? Oh yeah, as well as having the refs in their pockets, most of the media love man u and those that don't are scared of sir rouge face.
Is that sour grapes that I smell?

What happened to the Totts? released from 'regime hoddle' they suddenly learn how to defend (players understand 442) and score three goals in one game!!!!!

Newcastle beat Southampton, maybe it has something to do with their players staying in this week.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hey Doof...you're right about that club...a defender and a midfielder that that club both bought from the same division one club (that was managed incidentally by their current manager many years ago)...and another young english striker that plays for a london club someone on this board supports, and might have gone on loan last season to a club in the midlands.

Maybe that manager did resign out of frustration, then took it back.

BUT THIS IS ALL OF COURSE HERESAY AND CONJECTURE FOR ALL YOU LAWYER TYPES READING!
Otis Westinghouse

It's too late for puzzles that show up my ignorance. No-one's reading, just name them.

SLL: sour grapes indeed. At least MU got the award for clean play last season, which I don't think any side playing for Mr W is ever going to do. And would you be writing that if it happened in the England v Turkey game? Precisely.

POP: oh no, it looks like I was taking the piss, but actually I wrote that full of excitement at how Arse were clearly going to go down at Anfield, only to be horrified at the eventual outcome! Fair dues to Arse, he said grudgingly.

Sodding Chelsea won, but Mutu was hardly on the pitch. I now have him and Lampard in my squad (cos Chelsea have two games in Gameweek 8), and the bastard doesn't score. Still, stonking performance from Jaaskelainen today, saved penalty and all, means I cruised to the top of the work league - for the first time! Lampard's a good investment, he's Chelsea's star, can he shine for England too? Surely someone else here is playing on the fantasy.premierleague.com site? I'm 12,362nd out of 168,136. Not bad eh? Laughing Crow is probably in the top 20 or something. I hope someone else is, so we can do battle. Boy is it addictive. Spent the evening planning my transfer policy for the next 3-4 weeks. Gotta work out who to sell so I can afford to buy back Giggs, who I shamelessly offed in order to get a Lampard bonus on Tuesday, and of course my Judasian beahviour was rewarded with Giggs's stonking goal, so that brought both agony and ecstacy. Well done you Spurs, and Taricco keep it up, the 6 points were most welcome.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

LC

Surely that racist player who disgracefully got away with going to prison when he was at a Yorkshire Club was involved?

What about his mate, or that short-arsed little welsh toad up front?

Still working on the London Striker.... :?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Surely that racist player who disgracefully got away with going to prison when he was at a Yorkshire Club was involved?
No, everyone thinks "that fucker" (Elvis' words, not mine) was involved but it wasn't cos he was somewhere else, or so I've heard. Another one I wasn't suprised at his name being mentioned was, and it rhymes with, Leeron Pryer (is rhyming allowed? :lol: ).
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

err sod it...no racists you're right, but :o :o :o :o (who lkes wearing stripes) and :o :o :o :o, those are the 2 non-internationals.

OR SO IT IS RUMOURED
Last edited by laughingcrow on Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

OW - My fantasy team is going quite well and I am 4th in my super league, however my girlie is top and is currently 13th in the Telegraph league and had her name in the paper last week (they print the top 50 or so), I just hope she keeps it up as there is a £50k first prize :!:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:OW - My fantasy team is going quite well and I am 4th in my super league, however my girlie is top and is currently 13th in the Telegraph league and had her name in the paper last week (they print the top 50 or so), I just hope she keeps it up as there is a £50k first prize :!:
Superb. I'm 2042nd in the Telegraph League and I'm well chuffed with that.

I hope you can take the stick for being beaten by a mere girlie :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?