Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:I mean, a nil-nil draw against Spurs? GIMME A BREAK!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Is you laughin' cos Spurs are so obviously crap, the much superior Liverpool (even in their present crap form) should've well and truly spanked their pasty arses? You'd be right to laugh then, o'Gilli of the Beanz.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

POP: Certainly at least 4 "world class" players in that lineup - Owen, Gerrard, Kewell and maybe Dudek.

shabbs: Don't know if I would advise putting money on Chelsea. We'll slip up soon and everyone will have a good laugh - maybe as early as this weekend against Blackburn.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Too late. Put 15 quid at 1.50. What the hell, they have done me proud so far.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

WSS? - Don't you think Kewell is too lazy to be a "world class" player? Sure, he's got the talent, if only he'd pull his finger out. I'm never gonna like him, am I? Owen - check, Gerrard - check. Dudek? Hmmmm, again, he's certainly got talent and is one of the best 'keepers in the Premiership but....I don't know. He wouldn't be in the World's Best Xl, put it that way. Not even on the bench, or the reserves, or....

You've got Crespo now. Bah.

I'm giving this thread a rest now. That is, until the 'Pool beat Everton this afternoon :D .

I have a feeling I'm gonna regret that last comment.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

SHABBS both of my sons are Chelsea mad both season ticket holders and eat sleep and breathe Chelsea. My partner and I are both Spurs people from childhood. This season we are going to be able to crow here for a change I can feel it in my water!!! Its the old diehard belief like "This time we are gonna win the world cup" kinda feeling......

COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Oooh look! Liverpool won 3-0 :D .
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I knew I shouldn't have started scouse bashing!

Good result for the Hoddlemen today what?

Shabbs, you should have learnt to quit while you were ahead!
signed with love and vicious kisses
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Whoops! I'm keeping that quiet from the boyfriend! But I'm no quitter (thus all of the addictions). I do think I will ask Sam next time. And Gilli, love the smilies! More colour, that's what this board needs.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

STOOPID FUCKIN GAME :oops: :cry:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Good result for the mighty utd today what?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Oooh look! Liverpool won 3-0 :D .
So are those anti-Houllier words coming back to haunt you?

And no doubt we're all sad about Man U!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
PlaythingOrPet wrote:Oooh look! Liverpool won 3-0 :D .
So are those anti-Houllier words coming back to haunt you?

And no doubt we're all sad about Man U!
No, still think he should go.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

shabbs: I knew we wouldn't beat Blackburn - our "bogey" team. Must be said, however, that the Mutu goal that was disallowed was NOT offside. I already love this guy - what a player!

PoP: You didn't stay away too long, did you? Maybe you should threaten to quit this thread every week! I do thinik that Kewell has the potential to be world-class, but he has not shown it at 'Pool so far. I thought he would have been a great acquisition for Chelsea, but I am very happy with Duff instead and I lost a lot of respect for Kewell over the transfer from Leeds. You're probably right about Dudek not being quite "world class." He's certainly not up to the standard of Buffon, for example. But he is one of the better keepers in the PL.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Talking of keepers Sam, that was a bit of howler by Cudicini on Saturday!

Agree that Mutu is looking good, can't see you keeping all your players happy though. Who is going to leave when the transfer window opens in January? My guess is that Lampard is going to struggle to hold down a place and won't be happy, and Petit also seems to be excess to requirements and it looks as though JCole is only going to make the bench.
I would pick Duff over Kewell, even though I think Kewell has more potential I think that Duff is more likely to fulfill (Kewell is bit up his own ass).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Dunno about the transfer window. I think Lampard will do fine and will stay. He's a much better player now than when he came over from West Ham. Assuming we stay in CL, there will be plenty of games to go around. Here's who will be gone by this time next year, IMHO:

-Hasselbaink (out of contract)
-Gudjohnsen (dunno what happened to him - sad)
-Stanic (not good enough)
-Petit (out of contract)
-Babayaro (gives up too many free kicks and gets pulled out of position)
-Melchiot (I like him, but he has cost us some points)
-Zenden (total waste of money)
-One of the keepers (not Carlo)

The other one I wonder about is Gronkjaer. Seems to sulk. Flashes of brilliance, then a stinker.

Ranieri will be gone if we fail to finish top three and crash out of CL.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Who Shot Sam...i agree about Lampard, he looks like he's turned into the player he threatened to be, definetely another good English midfielder (why couldn't he have been born in Aberdeen or something..natch!).

I was a massive fan of Zenden at PSV, but he doesn't look like he can perform consistently in a top league unfortunately, he does have such good potential though..maybe he'd do better at a club where less is expected.
Don't think Gudjohnsen will go...good peripheral striker, if anyone goes it'll be Jimmy Floyd, the archetypal soldier of fortune player...but what a player.

Has anyone seen the Everton signings today...if you haven't heard of Jamie McFadden yet...you soon will, he's Scotland's answer to Luke Skywalker..i.e. our only hope! He's fast, good ball skills and a dribbler...will do well in the EPL, but will need a few games under his belt.
Had a quick giggle at Portsmouth signing Pavel Srnicek...thank god he didnt go to Wolves (my english club)..the man is pants... can't distribute, can't command a defence...nuff said.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I didn't mean to denigrate Lampard, I just can't see how he is going to play regularly now they've signed Makelele and I can't see him being happy on the bench. Zenden has already gone to boro on loan for the season. I think JFH may be revitalised with the added competition and he may not want to leave if there is a sniff of medals around. Gudjohnnsen is indeed a strange case, he has bags of pontental but doesn't seem to have progressed from a couple of years ago, he probably need regular football which he didn't get last year because of Zola's new lease of life and certainly won't get it this season!

LC- Why are you lauching at Portsmouth, they've got 7 more points than Wolves already! :lol: Who is you scottish team? Dundee Utd? :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well done you 'Pool, there you go, Owen is a genius, Kewell was worth every penny and Houllier is a mastermind. And it's poor old Robson who's in the firing line. And as for MU handing 3 points to the Saints after a grotty performance with Kleberson et al not settling in, whilst Arsenal cruise to maintain their 100% record annd we lose our first game since Boxing Day, well, bollocks. Wasn't Saturday amazing for away victories/good performances, though? And who else sniggered as Chelsea proved that it takes more than a bottomless chequebook?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis: Gimme a break. A 2-2 draw against Blackburn is not a terrible result - and the first Mutu goal should have counted. Did you really think we were going to win every match? Nice handball in the area by Phil Neville BTW. Was he playing volleyball? Not surprisingly, the ref did not see it.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

WSS - The disallowed goal was a dubious decision, but so was the penalty, these things even themselves over the season for most clubs. Mancu are a different story, I have secretly been given a copy of the application form for Premiership referees and below are the first couple of questions:

1. Have you been a lifelong supporter of Manchester United?
Yes - Continue to question 2
No - Your application has failed, return to the Unibond Northern League

2. Do you think it is worth going to extraordinary lengths to appease Mr Ferguson, and to stop him getting angry with us?
Yes - Continue to question 3
No, he's just a ruddy faced bully - Your application has failed, return to the Berkshire Ladies 4th division south.

That's just a snapshot, more may follow.

And there you were wondering how it was that Mssrs D'Urso and Rennie ever became premiership refs!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Has anyone ever watched the Rugby League coverage on Sky? The so-called pro referees should have mics on them like those refs... it's refreshing (not to mention enjoyable) hearing them in the game.
What surprises me most about them, is that in a very physical game like Rugby, they are able to use their own judgement in making their decisions. This seems to be something lacking in uk refs..especially this season, where they are marked down for not making decisions (even if they aren't really warranted, e.g. Rooney's booking in the mersey derby).

Refs in this country also seem to enjoy the elevated status they get from the media, by booking players willy-nilly...yet they are unwilling to make comments about their judgements, let players use their toilets in an emergency, and in the case of Craig Levein at Hearts, will fine managers who critiscise them! Whatever happened to free speech? Thank common sense that it looks like Levein will escape unpunished for refusing ton pay his fines for his comments.

PS my scottish team is not a team in the SPL.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

SLL: now you're just being silly (and yes, I did laugh).

WSS: didn't see the Phil Nev incident. Sounds like fun.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis:

Have you been inhabited by the spirit of Arsene Wenger ("I did not see the incident")? Blatant handball in the Soton match, but it didn't matter in the end. I watch a lot of footie on Fox Sports World (from England, Germany, Spain, Argentina and the MLS), and I must say that the refs in England are the least consistent of all. A lot of strange decisions.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think FIFA should clone Pierluigi Collina on some remote farm in Aberdeen like Dolly the Sheep, and have him run every game from the grassroots up...

Possible Steve Austin-style genetic 'enhancements' to Pierluigi:

X-Ray vision to check for injuries when refereeing games involving Roy 'I was gonna do the c*%t' Keane.

Built in atomic clock, properly prepared against the millenium bug, so that Sir Alex doesn't need to use his own timers.

Flashing neon 'LOOK HERE QUICK!!!!' sign to alert Monsieur Wenger of any onfield incidents as they happen.

Body-coloured bumper to prevent against injury when falling in the event of Paolo Di Canio.

Radio jammer, to shut Andy Gray up for once.