Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I'm about mid-table in the Telegraph FL. Unfortunately I have an excellent forward line and Midfield, but a very dodgy GK (Friedel) who has surprised me with his ineptitude. He was awesome last year. A couple of my defenders have let me down as well (Finnan esp).
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Why are you all in the wrong league? Just cos the Thatchergraph popularised it doesn't mean you have to stick with it, you know! Very disappointed.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis:

I'm no conservative, but I must say that I do like the Telegraph's footie coverage. I don't read these papers on a daily basis so, while I understand that the Telegraph is somewhere on the right of the political spectrum, I'm not sure how far over it is on the ideology scale.

Politically, I would probably be more in line with The Guardian, but their football writers are so busy being clever and snarky and are so anti-Chelsea that I just can't take it. But I do love those Ormondroyd virtual match reports. Shame it's only monthly now.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not into football, but The Guardian was definitely my favourite newspaper while I was in England. Unfortunately, my residence hall subscribed to The Times and The Sun. Blah.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Jackson Doofster

Well, I'm an Independent reader myself and the new tabloid version is great, cos I can read it in traffic jams.

The reason I'm in the Telegraph League is because that is the one that Milton keynes Council workers use and a bloke from there organises the whole thing. Thus, I have never bought a copy of the Telegraph in my life (although I did take a free one in the Little Chef once).

I am reliably informed that The Telegraph has an excellent sports section, although even that would not induce me to buy it. Way too blue.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Damn straight Blue...Guardian/Observer is the best newspaper IMHO...tabloid of choice would have to be the Daily Mirror for the crossword and footy or the Daily Record for the scottishness.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Prefer the Guardian/Observer, but the league I am in is in the Telegraph, which I do also buy on a regular basis despite it politically uncool. The sport section is excellent (although it has been caught up a bit by the other broadsheets). Call me a snob but IMO any of the broadsheets are preferable to any of the tabloids, the Mirror used to be half good but has degenerated. The Mail is the scum of the earth and everyone who buys it is an idiot (including my parents!).
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

See that the FA have gone over the top again in forcing Sven to drop Ferdinand (personally I think that we're better off without him, but that is not the point). Condemning a man before he has been proven guilty. The FA seems to be run by a group of petty minded fascists who would hang a man for stepping on the cracks in the pavement.

FA = FUCKING ARSEHOLES

Yours,

Grumpy Old Git
Jackson Doofster

SLL - good point on the Mail. Absolute toilet paper written by evil facist bastards :twisted: :evil:

Your point about the FA would also be a good one, if it wasn't for the fact that you a a biased gooner. Let's face it, they have got some things right recently. Aint that right Sol boy! Lets hope that they throw the book at Chimp Keown and that 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' - Ashley Cole. I think all of the Arsenal players involved in that Old Trafford incident should be given 10 match bans. Actually, I think the whole squad should be banned simply for being Arsenal players. I also believe that Ray Parlour should be made to eat nothing but brussel sprouts on account of being ginger and talking like a barrow boy on helium. :lol:

Long Live the Gooners and their persecution complex! :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I actually think that Ferdinand should receive a two year drugs ban (if guilty) but I think that it stinks that they have banned him from playing for England without even giving him a hearing and right of appeal etc.

I agree with all your remarks on Arsenal, ban the lot of the dirty cheating bastards and give ruud boy a medal (and Roy Keane) for being sweetie pies.
Jackson Doofster

No.............you get me wrong SLL....I think that the Man Utd lot should be banned as well and that Leeds Utd should be expelled from football.

Chelski should be sent to their rooms for refusing to share.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I think this whole business with Ferdinand is a cunning plan by Turkey so they can beat us!! They also tried to knobble Owen and I also think they fixed it for our Becks to go live abroad so it would piss off posh, break up his marriage and so totally destablize the England team!! :shock:

The lengths some countries will go to to keep us from glory!!!! :roll: :wink:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Glory?

1966 was nearly a hundred years ago....kinda.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

CROW: I am the eternal optimist - you have to be when you are an England/Spurs fan!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Don't speak too soon, Gilli. The players are threatening to boycott Saturday's match over Rio's suspension. They could be thrown out of the tournament altogether. Is the Ireland match being shown on telly?
Jackson Doofster

The whole lot of them are an absolute bunch of overpaid tossers. 'Loyalty' to Rio Ferdinand ? The only loyalty they have is to their bank manager. What loyalty have any of them ever shown to the mugs who buy their merchandise and who pay to watch their overhyped efforts. I would have no problem with the FA if they sent the lot home and replaced them with Gillingham!!

I'm reaching the point when I couldn't care less anymore. I had a party planned at my place on Saturday - beer and golf followed by footie followed by curry and beer. I am seriously thinking about cancelling the whole thing. I have no sympathy for Ferdinand or any other England player. Does anyone really want these cretins representing this country?

Spoilt wankers all of them!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ridiculous. What a week for football in England. TWO rape scandals involving Premiership players, Rio's drug test, disciplinary hearings for Sol Campbell and that miserable little dwarf Craig Bellamy. And I thought the NFL was bad.

The players should shut up and play. Rio missed the test and the rules say that missing a test should be considered as failing a test. There's something distinctly fishy about his excuses. Palios and the FA are right about this one - for once.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Doofster wrote:I had a party planned at my place on Saturday - beer and golf followed by footie followed by curry and beer. I am seriously thinking about cancelling the whole thing!
Surely not the beer part?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I saw SkySportsNews tonight...you'd think that World War 3 had broken out the amount of coverage 'England in Crisis' (yes that's what they're calling it :lol: ) is getting. It's even got it's own little monochrome background of the england players when it comes on.

Doof...if they replaced them with Gillingham or someone of that ilk (Im thinking Walsall, Leyton Orient, Swindon..you know, teams that noone likes or hates) it'd be a damn sight more interesting to watch. I bet the players would give a bit more as well. It seems to me that playing for your country is not what it once was, and to be honest, neither is supporting it (unless you support someone like Gillingham). My good mate is a diehard Liverpool fan, and he won't cheer when a Manc player scores for England. Same with one of my friends who's a Celtic bhoy, I even heard him slagging off Barry Ferguson during a Scotland match. Pah!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I hate Leyton Orient and Swindon!

Although I agree that the players are acting like wankers, I think that the FA have botched this (along with most things) and are behaving like a strict headmaster and are guilty of running kangaroo courts.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

....ok...hands up those who didn't guess it was Jody Morris (allegedly..) ???
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:....ok...hands up those who didn't guess it was Jody Morris (allegedly..) ???
Useless little toerag. I remember reading a few articles during the summer in which he talked about how he was misunderstood, unappreciated at Chelsea, was determined to prove everyone wrong, blah blah blah...

Truth is, Chelsea should have washed their hands of his noxious influence years ago.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

a few years ago i saw prog about the Chelsea youth plyers trying to get senior contracts. A teenage Morris was successful. He was an arrogant tosspot even then.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Nothing better to do that assault girls then if he's not in the first team.

Sad twat.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I see that you've all heard the evidence and found him guilty then?