Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, that's it. Congratulations to Red Scousers everywhere, especially EC, ailing as he is in Kansas City.

I didn't get to watch the match (and probably won't now), but it sounds like Drogba had another stinker. He really is not good enough - poor touch, constantly straying offside, falls over at the least bit of contact. He is great in the air, but that's all. I fully expect Roman to bring in a top striker over the summer when Kezman leaves. Would like to have seen Forssell get a chance, but Mourinho left Drogba on for some unknown reason.

Two years in a row out in the semifinals of the CL, but this time it's a lot easier to take with two trophies in hand. This has been an enormously nerve-wracking and gratifying season. It'll be nice to go off to Yankee Stadium this weekend with my daughter for a day of spring baseball and not have to worry about checking the scores on my mobile every few minutes.

Then later in the month I can sit back and relax as Arse and ManU tear each other to shreds in the FA Cup final. :D

Should be interesting to see what happens over the summer.

CHAMPIONS! CHAMPIONS!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Jackson Monk wrote:I'm not convinced about Drogba. One swallow does not make a summer etc....certainly does not make him worth 25 million!
Just thought that I'd revive a post from the start of the season (Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:10 pm)....don't say i didn't warn you!

Good to see Liverpool fans getting something to cheer about. They are real fans in my book. When was the last time you heard the roof coming off like that at OT, the Bridge or the Library? Good luck to the scousers. Can't see them beating Milan, although it would be quite funny if the FA put them into the Champs League ahead of Everton :lol:

Jose joins Winger at the top of the "foot in mouth" league.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:I'm not convinced about Drogba. One swallow does not make a summer etc....certainly does not make him worth 25 million!
Just thought that I'd revive a post from the start of the season (Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:10 pm)....don't say i didn't warn you!

Good to see Liverpool fans getting something to cheer about. They are real fans in my book. When was the last time you heard the roof coming off like that at OT, the Bridge or the Library? Good luck to the scousers. Can't see them beating Milan, although it would be quite funny if the FA put them into the Champs League ahead of Everton :lol:

Jose joins Winger at the top of the "foot in mouth" league.
Thanks for reminding me. :? I don't see how Drogba could ever have lived up to his price tag, so it's a bit unfair to pin that £24 million number on him every time his name is mentioned. He did score some big goals for us this season but more often has looked like a panic buy.

Liverpool have been able to scratch out results against Juve and Chelsea, but it's been anything but pretty. It's funny that Chelsea get slammed for playing boring defensive football, but when Liverpool do it it's stout and dogged defending. Everyone wanted Chelsea to fail and tonight they did, but Jose, JT, Lamps et. al. have nothing to be ashamed about. It's Mourinho's job to express confidence in his team and expect to get the results. It's not always going to happen the way you planned it, especially in cup competitions, but that's football.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Drogba was overpriced but not that bad a player, he would do a lot better if he had someone playing up front with him. It's very hard being a lone striker especially when their wide players are out injured.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice to see Gudjohnsen putting the ball wide in what looked like a serious late threat, and fair dues for him getting Alonso sent off last week. Goal decision was borderline to say the least (compared to Spurs at OT!), but probably a better outcome for Chelsea than the more legitimate penalty + sending off of Cech would have been.

Great too see the underdog in the final, and how is EC going to contain himself in Norwich? I really hope they can beat Milan, though it will be very hard, they are much better than Chelsea (especially a Chelsea with no Robben and Duff).
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Milan aren't that good a side, I watched the game last week and PSV would have won if their finishing had been better. Schevchenko is class, but keep him quiet and they struggle.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm certainly not expecting goals galore in Istanbul. Doubt I'll even be watching. The FA Cup final on the other hand? That's gonna be fun.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Fucking A, man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He may have bought the Prem title, but I bet Abramo is crying into his borsch right now.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I guess we're either going to get a very brief set in Norwich or a cancellation (like tonight - coincidence???).
Congrats to Chelsea on the Premiership - well deserved - but didn't look like beating Liverpool tonight. The fact that Drogba and Kezman have been so under par just reflects the quality of the midfield and defence.
So....Chelsea beat Liverpool 3 times in a season and then lose the most important match.
Man U beat Arsenal 3 times in a season and then..........(Horseface will just have to cry off to a lucrative contract with Inter or some such)
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:He may have bought the Prem title, but I bet Abramo is crying into his borsch right now.
Doubt it. He's probably on his yacht in the Med enjoying a glass of champagne and reflecting on the two trophies his team has won.

As for all of this nonsense about Chelsea "buying" the title, if it makes you feel better, then by all means keep repeating it. But it's not as if ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal have been getting by on the coins they found down the back of the sofa.

Good luck in the final PoP. Would be nice to see an English team win it.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Fishfinger king wrote: The fact that Drogba and Kezman have been so under par just reflects the quality of the midfield and defence.
I think that is a really good point. A lot of goals from Lampard, Terry, Robben and Duff. What would they be like with a better front line?

Jose has complained several times this season about teams parking buses in the goalmouth etc. Excuse me, but isn't it his job to deal with that. If you keep telling the world that you are a great coach, you have to come up with the goods when teams like Liverpool set their stall out to defend.

Apart frm the Gudjonnsen effort, Chelsea never really looked like scoring. There was precious little of the creativity or imagination shown by the Gooners when they broke down defences and won the league last season. Perhaps Jose and Winger should get together and form Arsea.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Jose has complained several times this season about teams parking buses in the goalmouth etc. Excuse me, but isn't it his job to deal with that. If you keep telling the world that you are a great coach, you have to come up with the goods when teams like Liverpool set their stall out to defend.
When Robben and Duff are both out, we do miss their creativity and it can be hard to find goals.

I suspect we'll see a new striker or two arriving this summer. Kezman is probably on his way back to PSV. Personally, I want to see what Forssell can do, but I don't know if he'll get the chance. I don't think we'll be giving up on Drogba - yet. I can only imagine how lethal we would be with a striker like Adriano.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Shame Moaninho couldn't accept defeat graciously instead of moaninhoing about 'pools tactics. It was only last year when his Porto side deployed similar tactics to Liverpool against Manure.
He justified that afterwards by saying they played like that because it was the only way to beat a team that cost so much. Tables turned buddy.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Shame Moaninho couldn't accept defeat graciously instead of moaninhoing about 'pools tactics. It was only last year when his Porto side deployed similar tactics to Liverpool against Manure.
He justified that afterwards by saying they played like that because it was the only way to beat a team that cost so much. Tables turned buddy.
Fair enough. He does need to learn to lose graciously. Just hasn't had much practice yet! :wink:
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

......and lets be be fair

can you imagine Wenger or Fergie staying out on the pitch for so long congratulating the opposition. He said that the best team lost, which was true really. Even Rafa as good as admitted that. Perhaps the best coach won though...just a thought.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Spurs are playing middlesborough on Saturday, with a win almost guaranteeing a UEFA Cup spot. We could also go level ith Bolton and 1 pt behind Liverpool. 5th place is a distant possibility.

I have to work in London on Saturday morning, so I thought, surely the game will be on the Jumbotron at the Lane for about £7.50.

Rang the ticketline today. £35 for a special buffet in the corporate boxes!!! Fuck right off!!! :x

What ever happened to the people's game?? :cry: :?
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Perhaps the best coach won though...just a thought.
I like Benitez, but the jury is still out on that one. 'Pool have been dire in the league this season. Giving up on the PL on the hope that you'll win the Champions League is risky business.

Just saw the PSV-AC Milan score. Poor PSV. Sounds like they were better over the two legs. Liverpool has to take heart from Milan's performance.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Rang the ticketline today. £35 for a special buffet in the corporate boxes!!! Fuck right off!!! :x

What ever happened to the people's game?? :cry: :?
Those White Hart Lane millionaires have no time for the likes of you. :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Just saw the PSV-AC Milan score. Poor PSV. Sounds like they were better over the two legs. Liverpool has to take heart from Milan's performance.
Damn close. If Ambrosini hadn't got that header in and PSV had still got the last goal, well it would all have been different. So much more appealing to have had them against Liverpool not predictable AC, who didn't look that great today at all, not compared to the team that put The Magnificents out. I really, really hope Liverpool win the cup.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I didn't get to watch the match (and probably won't now)
I gave in and watched the match tonight. I also saw Andy Gray's analysis of the winning "goal" on Sky. While it didn't look like a legit goal, Chels didn't create enough chances and in the end failed to score the goal that they needed to go through, so it doesn't really matter if the linesman screwed up. Call it payback for some decisions that went Chelsea's way during the Carling Cup final and earlier this season in the PL at Anfield.

That being said, Liverpool were hardly dominant and seemed pretty content to sit back and soak up the pressure, which nearly cost them a trip to Istanbul. Hardly a technical masterclass, and it says something that Liverpool are so jubilant about a home victory where the away club was missing almost all of its pace and width.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I've just read that Lampard and Terry will not play in the last three Premier League games due to some injuries.
I must say this completely ruins my "tactics" for Fantasy PL.
Damn !!!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:I've just read that Lampard and Terry will not play in the last three Premier League games due to some injuries.
I must say this completely ruins my "tactics" for Fantasy PL.
Damn !!!
Really? I hadn't heard that. I would expect them to get at least a run-out against Charlton, though surely not a full 90 minutes. Both have been playing with injuries and need foot surgery of some kind.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so Liverpool won't be in the Champs League unless they finish 4th.

This effectively means that finishing a distant 4th in the league is regarded as more valuable than being European Champions....
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:so Liverpool won't be in the Champs League unless they finish 4th.

This effectively means that finishing a distant 4th in the league is regarded as more valuable than being European Champions....
I don't feel too much sympathy for them. They should have paid more attention to their league form. It would be unfair to take that CL space away from Everton now, assuming they get it. I wonder if there would be all of this media hand-wringing about that last Champions League spot if Chelsea were the club in question. Somehow I doubt it.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I don't propose that Everton have their spot taken from them (if they secure it). However, it is ridiculous that the Champions of Europe should be unable to defend their crown (even if it was Chelsea! :wink: ).

I don't care which country they come from. If a club wins the CL, they should be entered as a wild card if they fail in the domestic league.

Having said all that, I actually think it was a mistake to dilute both European Competitions and to ditch the Cup Winners Cup.
corruptio optimi pessima