Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:
What a weekend for me. Chelsea and the Red Bulls (yes, those Red Bulls) win 5-0 on the same day (and we knock those douchebags from TFC out of the playoffs). It was rainy, it was ugly. It was the last ever soccer game in the hellhole called Giants Stadium and we spanked Toronto.
it was the awesome.
Indeed. Almost made up for the shit storm of a season we had.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

What is it with Aston Villa and American goalkeepers, especially ones called Brad? Friedel is ageing after an excellent run, but now they've got this Guzan geezer, who tonight in the Carling Cup pulled off an excellent save in open play, and then stopped a penalty, and when it went to a penalty shoot out, he saved three of them! Remarkable! Why do we have to make do with Ben Foster?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Guzan is teh awesome as well.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:What is it with Aston Villa and American goalkeepers, especially ones called Brad? Friedel is ageing after an excellent run, but now they've got this Guzan geezer, who tonight in the Carling Cup pulled off an excellent save in open play, and then stopped a penalty, and when it went to a penalty shoot out, he saved three of them! Remarkable! Why do we have to make do with Ben Foster?
I've seen some people theorize that we have so many good American keepers because kids grow up playing sports that require the use of hands - basketball and baseball especially. Maybe there is something to the theory. I know that Tim Howard is an avid basketball player. Fergie never should have cut him loose.
Otis Westinghouse

He was too prone to making mistakes. He's done better at Ev. EVS has been great, but you can never really top Scmeichel.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

He was to prone to making mistakes.
fixed it for ya. I wasn't a fan until this current cycle. Guzan is the last of the line, I think.

And Otis, you are The Suckage at FF this year. Just wanted to point that out. :lol: Sure, you're ahead of me and Austin, but I made his team up for him and he hasn't bothered to change a thing and obviously, I know nothing.
Otis Westinghouse

Otis: the Comeback
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I didn't even notice your to/too issue - I was focused on the WAS. He IS the Awesome.
Otis Westinghouse

He's not that good, but he is better at Ev than MU. If Brad G can play like that on a regular basis, Villa can win the league!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

there's a league? how sweet. 8)

they only seem to play him in games they don't care much about, but I can't blame them, given the choice between him and the other brad. it seems to be a fantastic situation for him, nonetheless.

I said 'nonetheless.' go, me.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Great player that RVP. Very underrated.
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

....and a ladies man...
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Spurs and Man City wanted to be pretenders, but they're already also rans. OK CIty are fourth, but by default as Liverpool have been so crap, apart from the one that hurt, of course.

As someone said on the radio this week, Chelsea will win it, probably, as you simply can't see them throwing away leads in the way Arse do, and they're more effective in all depts. than MU this season, with the customary 1-0s giving way to a stream of 4/5-0s.

Maybe we need a season to recover from Ronaldo before something new happens. Bit odd, though, that SAF isn't bringing on the youngsters a bit more, e.g. Welbeck. OK Giggsy has earned his place, but now that Liability Scholes is no longer banging them in, should he feature so much?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The commentators were banging on about Obertan being Riverdance's replacement, and of course he went and fucked it up by fluffing some easy chances. The title will clearly be one of ManYoo, Chelsea or Arsenal. Too early to tell which. I'm starting to like this MLS salary cap system more and more. The PL is so predictable year in and year out. Happy to see Chelsea playing better quality football, but it's always the same group. Is it wrong that I take so much pleasure from Liverpool's struggles?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm starting to like this MLS salary cap system more and more. The PL is so predictable year in and year out.
I am starting to hate the salary cap, because it levels everything too much, I think. But, boy howdy, did I enjoy the hell out of yesterday's games. I like it when things get testy.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:
I'm starting to like this MLS salary cap system more and more. The PL is so predictable year in and year out.
I am starting to hate the salary cap, because it levels everything too much, I think. But, boy howdy, did I enjoy the hell out of yesterday's games. I like it when things get testy.
Well I'm not saying I am 100% in support of a hard salary cap. I'd like to see a little more flexibility and it is ridiculous that some of these guys are making McDonald's wages. But a bit more competitiveness makes it interesting.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

This is a fucking disgrace.
Not only a blatant handball, but also a clear off-side.

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:This is a fucking disgrace.
Not only a blatant handball, but also a clear off-side.

It's a disgrace the refs got it wrong. They keep screwing up in big games, but FIFA and UEFA refuse to do anything about it. I'm all for video review of controversial goals.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

The game is in the gutter. The decision was shocking, but Henry proved that all this 'gentleman' bollocks is a sham. It was nearly as bad as his sulky tantrum after Arse's Champions League Final against Barca a few yearrs back.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Very good grounds for FIFA to do the right thing and reverse the outcome. Long may Henry rot, cheating scumbag.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Very good grounds for FIFA to do the right thing and reverse the outcome. Long may Henry rot, cheating scumbag.
You English do tend to pile on your villains. I wonder if you'd have the same reaction if a United player had handled the ball in a Champions League final or gone down easy for a penalty (how is that any better?). I think the whole thing has been blown hugely out of proportion. If the ref gets the call right there is no controversy. Because he and his assistants did not do their job Henry is suddenly a dirty cheating scumbag?

I also wonder what the media reaction would have been if England had prevailed as a result of such a decision.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah. Henry never cheated and it's the refs fault. :roll: Pathetic.

Of course the game shouldn't be replayed. That is a road we would be mad to go down as we would have fixture chaos - every team is loaded with cheats and the fact that none of the Irish players came out and had a go at Henry is purely down to the fact that they would be hypocrites to do so. This weekend many will be trying to con the ref as much as Henry did.

When players stop conning refs and when video evidence is used for controverisal goals etc, the game might get back some of it's integrity.

I play a lot of golf and if I moved my ball when my opponents backs were turned, I would be villified and never invited again if I was caught. Would it be their own fault if they didn't see me do it? Of course it wouldn't. I would just be complete wanker for cheating. How is that different to what Henry did?

But to defend Henry and blame the ref? Well, your attidude sums up what is wrong with top level football. Perhaps you agree that it is reasonable for professionals to wave imaginary cards at the ref in order to try and get their fellow professionals sent off. It all makes me sick to the stomach.
corruptio optimi pessima
manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Very good grounds for FIFA to do the right thing and reverse the outcome. Long may Henry rot, cheating scumbag.
You English do tend to pile on your villains. I wonder if you'd have the same reaction if a United player had handled the ball in a Champions League final or gone down easy for a penalty (how is that any better?). I think the whole thing has been blown hugely out of proportion. If the ref gets the call right there is no controversy. Because he and his assistants did not do their job Henry is suddenly a dirty cheating scumbag?

I also wonder what the media reaction would have been if England had prevailed as a result of such a decision.
Sorry what has this got to do with England?
FIFA need to introduce the 4th official as soon as possible. I still don't believe the lines man saw nothing.

yours a disgruntled IRISH fan!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Yeah. Henry never cheated and it's the refs fault. :roll: Pathetic.

Of course the game shouldn't be replayed. That is a road we would be mad to go down as we would have fixture chaos - every team is loaded with cheats and the fact that none of the Irish players came out and had a go at Henry is purely down to the fact that they would be hypocrites to do so. This weekend many will be trying to con the ref as much as Henry did.

When players stop conning refs and when video evidence is used for controverisal goals etc, the game might get back some of it's integrity.

I play a lot of golf and if I moved my ball when my opponents backs were turned, I would be villified and never invited again if I was caught. Would it be their own fault if they didn't see me do it? Of course it wouldn't. I would just be complete wanker for cheating. How is that different to what Henry did?

But to defend Henry and blame the ref? Well, your attidude sums up what is wrong with top level football. Perhaps you agree that it is reasonable for professionals to wave imaginary cards at the ref in order to try and get their fellow professionals sent off. It all makes me sick to the stomach.
I'm not trying to "defend" Henry. What he did was wrong, but IMO the greater share of blame should lie with the referees. There re about a dozen incidents like this through a PL season or international tournament, but they don't get the same level of scrutiny because the stakes are usually lower. I'd be perfectly fine with FIFA coming down with some kind of retrospective punishment for Henry and others they consider cheaters. I also think this does not negate every good thing Henry has ever done on a football pitch, just as Zidane's moment of madness does not make him a dirty thug. But that's just my opinion.

BTW I am just as annoyed with the imaginary cards as you are, so no. Is there not one tiny part of you that feels so strongly about Henry because he was a legendary player at a club you despise?

Thought these comments from Roy Keane were interesting:
"Ireland had their chances in the two games (against France), and they never took them," Keane added. "But it's the usual FAI reaction - 'We've been robbed', 'The honesty of the game...'

"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game. I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay.

"I'd focus on why they didn't clear it (the free-kick). I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

edit: I don't care who wins this game, but I can't wait to watch. And I just spammed every single person I have an email addy on.

edit #2: except so lack, who had the good fortune to change his or put me in the "spam" category or something equally unfriendly.