Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by mood swung »

when did Steve Nash start playing for Everton?

NBA. Steve Nash. unfortunate looking gentleman on the far left...

Is this thing on?

no, I don't really follow the basketball either.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Anyone gonna set up the fantasy league, or shall I?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Anyone gonna set up the fantasy league, or shall I?
I'm in if you want to set it up again.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Ta for setting up, Solack. I nearly missed GW1. I didn't get as far as checking when the season started before setting off to Yorkshire and Scotland for two weeks on Aug 1. I just assumed it would be Aug 16 Comm Shield and Aug 22 Prem, so had to spend a few rushed minutes in the Bothy Bar in Kinlochleven on Fri am, as I was coming down with a strange and shortlived form of flu (was it THAT one?). I did my team, the usual £9m left and 5 players to buy type nightmare, and then realised GW2 was tomorrow and would have 9 players max, so redid parts of it. Unfortunately this involved replacing Vermaelen with Carragher. (Stunningly god Arse result, can they keep it up?) And also I confused promising Roger Johnson with Damien Johnson who didn't play at all. Hey ho. So I'm on 36, languishing in al my leagues, and another year of mediocrity beckons.

Good result for Spurs. Shame Hull didn't hold Chelsea, shame we have to endure more Drogba, shame Man Yoo didn't bang in a few more, and is Tevez going to continue being a sub and no more?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I think Tevez was not fully fit - he will start when fully fit. I started very averagely, Liverfool tricked me in to believing they may attack once in a while away from home. They were very poor against Totteringham and so difficult to guage how good the Totters were. Everton likewise poor against the Arse, but I am optimisto for the time being. Manoo were not too good either, they could struggle if Rooboy suffers any lengthy injuries with Scolds and Giggly both looking long in the tooth. Chelsk may run good if they get used to the so called diamond midfield, but have a lot of old geezers, so they could run out of puff(s). Manshitty are the unknowns, Villa not as good as last season without Blarry. Pretty sure Burnley will go down, maybe with Portshmowf.
Otis Westinghouse

Got a bit excited to hear Chels were losing again, but the same happened. Seems that Ancelotti's formation began to work. I've committed the evil sin of signing Lampard, so expect some recompense for my immorality. My star signing Sturridge actually came on (yes I know, why did I buy him? - then again, he shows promise, could become a regular at some stage, esp. if Anelka or Drogba are out). Interesting to see Wolves beat WIgan away. Nice one.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Got a bit excited to hear Chels were losing again, but the same happened.
I'm overjoyed that you were disappointed!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I've buggered up already, haha. Why didn't anyone tell me the GW2 deadline was last night?! Good choice captaining Lampard, though. :roll:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Rumor that Rafa is gone from Liverpool. Any truth to it?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Got a bit excited to hear Chels were losing again, but the same happened.
I'm overjoyed that you were disappointed!
And even more disappointed today I would imagine! :lol: :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnley
Otis Westinghouse

BASSSTTTARRRDDDS
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Rumor that Rafa is gone from Liverpool. Any truth to it?
Didn't look like it on MOTD.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Rumor that Rafa is gone from Liverpool. Any truth to it?
Didn't look like it on MOTD.
Good. I wouldn't want them to be winning the league.
Otis Westinghouse

We can score!

I am punished for my lack of faith and residual love of EL Tev by making him captain over the mighty Rooney (who will get at least 20 this season). Berbie looks set to become the player he was born to be, Nani left Kirkland standing with hi free kick and Owen's predatory instincts came to the fore. The lack of confidence in front of the goal displayed in his opening games was notably absent, and if he can maintain that, Fergie's faith in him may not have looked so misguided. Enjoying these high-scoring games this season (and can you imagine how much fun the Cheltenham 4 - Bradford 5 game must have been yesterday?).
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Sad scenes at Upton Park. Odious supporters on both sides.

One prick expressing disgust that his children had been terrified. What sort of idiot takes his children to that match? :x
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So so true. Some of the Spurs fans who come on the radio phone-ins just leave me embarrrassed. I had a mate of mine going on about he still isn't sure that Harry is the man for the job. What do these people want? Could anyone have done more than he has since last autum?

Mind you, there were a number of Arsenal fans moaning abot Wenger during the summer. They appear to have gone a little quiet recently.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Hope fully they'll get vocal again this weekend...

Great stuff by Spurs. I pray for not knowing in APril who the top 4 will be and that there'll still be a slight anxiety we won't win it again (an anxiety swept aside come mid-May, natch).
Otis Westinghouse

Old Trafford hero!

El Tev and Sparky had to learn the hard way that returnees to Old Trafford pay the bitter price for having left. City think they;re so marvellous, but had huge help from Foster, Ferdinand and others today in getting their goals.

Fabulous detailing on MOTD2 of how, despite the protests from the Shitty camp over the winner being scored in 5'27" of 4 mins stoppage time, the goal was entirely legitimate as with Bellamy's (dirty little scumbag) celebrations and the substitutions, the 4 mins were extended to precisely 5'28". Gotta love that programme.

Spurs were nowhere against Chelsea, who Ancelloti has turned into a super fit and efficient winning team, able to brush off the likes of Spurs with minimal effort, so we'll have to settle for second for now.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Spurs were nowhere against Chelsea, who Ancelloti has turned into a super fit and efficient winning team, able to brush off the likes of Spurs with minimal effort, so we'll have to settle for second for now.
I don't know what game you were watching Otis! :?

Clear penalty denied at 1-0. The whole commenatary team made the valid point that the game turned on that bad decision. We also finished the game without a recognised centre half and contributed to our own downfall when chasing the game.

I'm not denying that Chelsea deserved to win, but the scoreline was very flattering indeed. Chelsea got the rub of the green and on the evidence of the past 2 weeks, I'd back Utd for the title over Chelsea.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I'm not denying that Chelsea deserved to win, but the scoreline was very flattering indeed. Chelsea got the rub of the green and on the evidence of the past 2 weeks, I'd back Utd for the title over Chelsea.
Hmm, I dunno. I agree that the scoreline was not really indicative of the match as a whole, but we do look pretty solid and I like our defending a lot more than Man United's, which has looked decidedly shaky. If Fergie hadn't been given 20 minutes of added time or whatever he got this week, would you feel the same way?

The big caveat about Chelsea's start is that they have yet to face a top four club (the early part of the schedule has been fairly benign). But we are making the most of it by taking maximum points.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I just thought that Utd were so creative last week and we never really got a look in. The defensive problems are definitely there, but that has happened before and Fergie seems to iron those out very quickly.

Chelsea are excellent at the back but I just think Utd will get stronger. The match between them will be the first indicator. I think it will be very close. Spurs are top 6 at best. I'd predict:

1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man City
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs
7. Villa
8. Everton
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Like your style. To be honest. I wasn't paying that much attention to the Chelsea game, either on the radio or MOTD2, I was too high on life. It just sounded all too easy from the commentary, and I just get a sense that Ancelloti's got the solidness and discipline to keep them fit and mean, defensively tight and with Drogba in the right place mentally and uninjured, they will be hard to stop, whereas with a bit more shakiness from Ferdie, Foster (please come back, EVDS!) et al, we will lose points. WOuld love to see at least one change in the top 4, even if it is Sheik Yerbouti.

Seems I was wrong re MOTD, due to euphoria and tiredness, and they were saying Owen was one second after the full time, not before. The Independent analysed it as one or two seconds within limits and absolutely legit. If SWP had scored with his chance, would they be bleating?

My lucky season ticket holding chum with the corner ground level seat said it was one of the best games of the hundreds he's ever seen at OT.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Look, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but what the hell was Real's penalty about tonight. A fantastic tackle by Diawarra resulting in a penalty and a sending off. I just think UEFA is totally bent.
corruptio optimi pessima