Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by mood swung »

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 70&cc=5901

am I physic or am I physic?

I really don't think it's a good move, but he is speedy. Mostest is too pretty to be speedy. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 70&cc=5901

am I physic or am I physic?

I really don't think it's a good move, but he is speedy. Mostest is too pretty to be speedy. :lol:
He's so erratic. Could help Fulham if he can find his scoring boots again.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fantastic goal by Joe Cole, and an all-around great performance. Bring on Spurs!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Whoo hoo - im through to round 7 of the fantasy cup! Anyone know how many more rounds there are?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Looks like the y### blew it at the last, but dropped points for mancs and chelsk makes the table look better. I am still very negative about Arse winning the prem this year as the other two have much stronger squads but it is certainly a better season than I or most of the 'experts' expected or predicted. Grinning idiot fucked up most fantasy teams, apart from WSS who had the magnifico Adebeyor as captain.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

so lacklustre wrote:Looks like the y### blew it at the last.
Why don't you just spell it in full and get yourself banned like WHAR did? I don't think Blue takes too kindly to that kind of talk. Might be standard for wearethegooners.com, but looks like very poor taste round these parts. Abuse to Catholics, Jews, my God you are the most bigoted atheist I've ever come across.

Respect to WSS? for having Adebayor as captain. I haven't dared look yet, but was hoping everyone else would have expected a goal at least against Spurs. Juande deserves praise for strengthening the defence and giving them real purpose, but Dawson's beginning to look like a real liability. We love him! :D
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

You got real lucky Otis - we were the better team, - you coulnt even score your own goal!- we made Ronalado and Rooney look run of the mill!!

Whoo hoo looks like im through to the 8th round in the Fantasy cup - will someone please tell me how many more rounds left?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Gillibeanz wrote: Whoo hoo looks like im through to the 8th round in the Fantasy cup - will someone please tell me how many more rounds left?
Well, there's probably a quicker mathematical way to do it, but let's see :
ca. 1,620,000 players --> 810,000 --> 405,000 --> 202,500 --> 101,250 --> 50,625 --> 25,312 --> 12,656 --> 6,328 --> 3,164 --> 1,582 --> 791 --> 396 --> 198 --> 99 --> 50 --> 25 --> 13 --> 7 --> 4 --> 2 ----> 1

Ca. 22 rounds in total.
I suppose this is arranged in such a way that both Fantasy Cup and Fantasy League are finished on the last gameweek. This means 15 rounds to go.

:D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Thanks IP! Down to the last 12,000 - Blimey still a long way to go then! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Why don't you just spell it in full and get yourself banned like WHAR did? I don't think Blue takes too kindly to that kind of talk. Might be standard for wearethegooners.com, but looks like very poor taste round these parts. Abuse to Catholics, Jews, my God you are the most bigoted atheist I've ever come across.
Bad me. You are correct that I should have just spelt it out or not used it, and that I shouldn't have used it at all. In my ignorance I am not even aware of how offensive the term is (although as this is the case I just shouldn't have used it, although I must have realised it may cause some offense otherwise I wouldn't have used the *s). I presume it originally meant someone who speaks the Yiddish language. I was using it as a much used colloquialism for supporters of a certain football team, and apologise to anyone who took offence. I certainly am not bigoted, I can give reasoned arguments to my beliefs. I may though be guilty of typing without thinking, and of trying too hard to be risque.

If enough people want me to leave the board then I will, just pm me.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The tricky thing is that Spurs supporters themselves throw the term around liberally and call themselves the *** Army. It makes me squirm, so I just use plain old Spurs (or Spurtz if I'm in a foul mood). When Spurs fans stop using the term themselves then I think they will have a right to berate others for it. As it is now, it's like a gay person calling himself queer and then getting ticked off when someone else says it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I thought that meant something else entirely.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash in which seven Man U players died, I bring you the 2008 Munich air crash game. All you have to do is name the seven current Man U players that you would choose to die if there were a 2008 repeat.

I go for:
1. Ronaldo
2. Nani
3. Neville
4. Giggs
5. Scholes
6. Rooney
7. O'Shea
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah, very funny. Rather sick too, like Leeds fans' taunts over it, etc. Oh well. By the way, I had the rather amazing experience recently of a taxi ride with a Northumbrian who was in Bobby Charlton's primary class and is still in contact with him. he told me a story I'd never heard, that the serious football talent was a younger brother, not Jackie, whose name I can't recall, but who could do things with a ball Bobby would only dream of. Only problem was, he had no interest in football, was far more into plants and nature, and went on to become a botanist. The best player England never had, apart from poor Duncan Edwards.
Who Shot Sam? wrote:When Spurs fans stop using the term themselves then I think they will have a right to berate others for it. As it is now, it's like a gay person calling himself queer and then getting ticked off when someone else says it.
Or black people calling each other 'the n word', but I don't think it would go down too well if I referred to, say, Adebayor on this forum as a 'n*****'.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Or black people calling each other 'the n word', but I don't think it would go down too well if I referred to, say, Adebayor on this forum as a 'n*****'.
Not quite. The fact of the matter is that most of the Spurs fans who use the term aren't even Jewish. All I'm saying is that if they get offended by the use of the term by certain supporters of other clubs then they should be just as critical of their own fans who use it. That they are not strikes me as hypocritical.

BTW if any English team has a Jewish flavor to it at the moment it's Chelsea. How ironic.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

just for gilli, if she hasn't seen it yet. and if she has, it won't do her any harm to see it more than once. :lol:
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Or black people calling each other 'the n word', but I don't think it would go down too well if I referred to, say, Adebayor on this forum as a 'n*****'.
Not quite. The fact of the matter is that most of the Spurs fans who use the term aren't even Jewish. All I'm saying is that if they get offended by the use of the term by certain supporters of other clubs then they should be just as critical of their own fans who use it. That they are not strikes me as hypocritical.

BTW if any English team has a Jewish flavor to it at the moment it's Chelsea. How ironic.
This whole discussion demonstrates an ignorance of the history of the Spurs versus Arse/West Ham/Chelsea rivalries.

Back in the dark nasty 70s (when it was standard for Laurie Cunningham to dodge bananas and monkey chants for 90 mins), it was also common for odious gooners etc to use the term 'yids' as a term of abuse aimed at Spurs fans and players. I particularly recall a lovely Arse song that went "who'd trust a Scottish Jew...Archibald...Archibald". We put up with that shit every week....frequently still do.

"Yiddos...Yiddos...Yiddos" etc was chanted at our lot as an insult. If gooners do it now, it sounds like they're chanting for Spurs. Get it?

It's easy for people to be critial of Spurs fans for turning it on its head, but our fans took to using the term in order to defuse the power of the word. In other words 'fuck you...we have a Jewish heritage and we're proud of it"..and it worked quite frankly.

I never use the term myself a matches as I think it is degrading. However, in its context, its a million miles removed from the West Ham fans who make Nazi salutes and chant Sieg Heil at Spurs fans, whilst their stewards look on.
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Nice one MS! - that made my day! - now if only he would grow the hair back on his chest he would be perfect!! :lol:

We could have done with him on the pitch yesterday - a really unconvincing win by England!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I never use the term myself a matches as I think it is degrading. However, in its context, its a million miles removed from the West Ham fans who make Nazi salutes and chant Sieg Heil at Spurs fans, whilst their stewards look on.
Oh, no doubt. I remember going to a match at Upton Park about five years ago. Fulham were visiting and I got to the ground a bit early so I had a few pints at one of the local pubs. In any case, it all started off mellow enough. Then a bunch of fairly hardcore Hammers showed up and started into the chants. None of them had anything to do with Fulham as far as I could tell (or even West Ham for that matter), and more than a few had pretty unsavory racial overtones. They sang the "willies hanging out" one about Spurs, punctuated by shouts of "fucking J***" at the end of each chorus. I paid up and got our quick. What a horrible place. I've since had no desire to go back to that lovely corner of London.

And yes I'm aware that there are some Neanderthal Chelsea supporters guilty of the same or worse and I'd be just as mortified if I'd heard it from a Blue.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Indeed. Parts of the East End has always had sinister undertones and I'm hoping that the Olympics will chnage it for the better (but won't hold my breath)

West Ham have a really nasty hardcore group. I haven't been able to get to WHL much this season, but managed to get two tickets to the Hammers match in March (for me and my 11 year old).

I've taken her to see us play Arse, Charlton, and Chelsea several times without concern, but I have had second thoughts about the WHU match. Its always a bit nasty in places.
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

glad you liked it, g.

Sam, did you enjoy the Hostilities in Houston? I was a little diskappointed in Jozy. (and everybody else.) maybe it was his Hunchback of Notre Dame impersonation.

but it was nice to see Marquez on the ground. :lol:
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Is that an artificial pitch or just a very well tendered lawn?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I had to look it up, but that is indeed a very well tended lawn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Stadium
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Sam, did you enjoy the Hostilities in Houston? I was a little diskappointed in Jozy. (and everybody else.) maybe it was his Hunchback of Notre Dame impersonation.
Hey, Jozy scored against Mexico. That's not too shabby! I was more disappointed in the defending. Corrales and Moor were both awful.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Re the 'Yid' chants at us Spurs folk - sticks and stones and all that jazz!! It really doesn't bother me - I was called 'a little Yid bitch' by a filth supporter on Facebook for calling the Arse a foreign side, - and the laugh was not only could he not speak proper English he couldn't spell either just like his crappy team! :lol: You are never going to stop insulting chants at football and just have to accept it and give as good as you get! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!